proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to post updated sales for June:

Amazon--6
Createspace--3
Barnes&Noble--1
Smashwords--0 (but 2 downloads)

I signed my first book today! My mom was nice enough to buy the ebook version for her iPhone and the paperback (even though I told her not to waste money). She showed me that her copy came in the mail today, so she made me sign it LOL.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Of course your mom wants a signed paperback of her daughter's book! :D Very sweet. Congrats on the sales.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the sales! I know I've said it in other threads, but the thought that someone can go online and order our books in a physical form, is just unreal. One of the best feelings, considering that a few months ago, it was not possible.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It might be you're thinking of the terms for Amazon's cover creator? I can't easily search for things while I'm away, but it's logical Amazon wouldn't want a cover they created to be used elsewhere.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ann Joyce, Spell-It-Out, and Sunwords!

It is cool to be able to order a paperback online. I am finding it hard to get people to actually go to Amazon and purchase the book though. They all want it handed to them (even the ones who already have accounts through Amazon). It did sting a little when someone asked "So...when will your book be in Target or any bookstore shelf?" Sometimes it seems like people don't consider it an accomplishment unless the experience is up to their standards. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Yesterday, I ordered 5 paperbacks because I plan to go around the indie bookstores to see if they'd be willing to put ONE BY ONE on their bookshelves as consignment. For any authors, who has done this, I have a question: did you put your book through extended distribution so stores could get a discount? Or did you buy your own books, then distribute them to stores yourself?

I read in the forums that Goodreads giveaways is a good way to get exposure, so I entered a paperback into a giveaway yesterday. It runs until July 28th (my birthday :) ) I noticed on my author dashboard that 25 people have added it to their To-Read list so far, but I think for the giveaway itself only 5 people have entered for a chance to win (if I'm reading things right).

I've also noticed it's much easier getting book reviews instead of guest spots on other blogs or author interviews. Maybe for my next book, I'll consider doing a book tour through a company.

All in all, it's been fun trying things that will work and won't work with gaining exposure.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
I know I haven't been posting lately, but you'd be proud. I've been writing and revising my other 2 stories :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update of my sales for June so far:

Amazon-7
Createspace-10
Barnes and Noble-1
Smashwords- 0 but 7 downloads

The article of my writing group was on the front page of the local paper yesterday. I was so excited. She didn't discuss our personality types, but she did keep the shout-out that I gave to AW. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out: THE PROCRASTINATORS Aspiring Authors Talk Self-Publishing, Creativity

robertbevan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
nicely done with the createspace, AgathaChristieFan. I've only sold half as many paperbacks in my book's history. Keep it up!

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Robert!

For June, my sales were:

Amazon-7
Createspace-14
Barnes and Noble-1
Smashwords- 0 but 9 downloads

Reviews are steadily coming in, but still no word from the blogs I contacted for author interviews. I'll just continue to remain patient. I did learn an interesting fact yesterday: one of my writing group members is from Michigan. When she worked for Borders, she met J.A. Konrath when he first started out. That was really cool to hear. She was happy that he's pretty successful now--I told her that he's pretty well known among self-publishers.

She also knows the manager who works for the indie bookstore in our area. So she's going to see if the bookstore would be willing to stock it's shelf with a couple of my books and to see if local writers can host a reading event in October--when thrillers and horror stories will be more popular around Halloween. That would be fun if we could create this event, apparently there's way more local writers around than I had thought. And the bookstore is in a college town--my target audience.

My total sales so far: 23 (I deducted my own purchase of my ebook and the 4 times I gifted an ebook for reviewers)

I'm looking forward to July (my birthday month)! If I can figure out how to lower prices on all channels without it being a hassle, then I may lower the price to .99 cents for the last week of July to tie into my birthday. By then, the goodreads giveaway will be over.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ann!

I received great news. It looks like my writing group will be hosting a reading event in October. It'll be fun planning for that. Yesterday, I signed up for Tumblr, so that can be my new obsession :) until I get the hang of it. My plan is to use pictures of inspiration regarding writing my books on Tumblr to see if I can spark any interest. And I don't think I'm using Twitter well when it comes to promoting, so I'm going to tweet at least 3 times a day to see if anything comes out of it. I'll do this 'til the end of the week, then I'll analyze the results.

So far, with my Goodreads giveaway, 94 have added One By One to their To-Read list and 172 people have entered the drawing. That's pretty cool; I can't wait to see who's the winner. So far, my reviews have been 4 and 5 stars--posted on Goodreads and Amazon. Still no word on the blogs I contacted for author interviews and that was back in early June.

It looks like my experiment worked yesterday. I got some hits from Tumblr and Twitter to my blog, and I sold 1 book on Amazon either last night or this morning.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't a hassle at all dropping the book price. I guess I'm just a worry-wart by nature because I'm a sensitive type :) For all of July, ONE BY ONE is .99 cents (instead of $2.99) on all sale channels.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep up the good work!

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Another update:

Amazon--6
Createspace--4
B&N--0
Smashwords--0

There's only like 2 weeks left for my goodreads giveaway. It looks like 213 people have entered to win a free copy. That's pretty cool.

I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to technology. My computer crashed Saturday night, so it looks like I have to save money for a laptop. It'll suck not being able to work from home anymore!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
So sorry to hear about the computer crash. Hope you had it backed up. I heard somewhere that Google has a laptop for $250. Some special deal they've arranged. I don't know more than that, but it might be worth checking out.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I think a computer crash is a writer's nightmare. Hope you can get up and running again asap. Glad you're still getting sales.

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Count me as another that hopes you have a back-up copy!

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Merrihiatt for the tip.

Thanks Ann Joyce.

Cranky1, Merrihiatt, Ann Joyce, my documents were saved to a flashdrive and I also always send to my personal and writing emails. Anything besides my drafts aren't important to me, but I will miss my spider solitaire...

While I'm saving up, it's close to my birthday (next Sunday). Maybe I'll hint to my parents that a laptop or iPad will be a nice gift :)

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck -- I hope you steamroll through the rest of July (and happy birthday month!) :)