AgathaChristieFan's self-publishing journey

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Those six sales through Createspace are very impressive, especially for just nine days' worth of April. Continued success! I'm re-evaluating the use of Smashwords, too. Lately, it's seemed like more effort than it's worth for limited sales.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
ACF:

I just caught up on your posts. Glad to see that uptick in sales for you, as well as the addition of a title. I hope you're hard at work on the next one.

I visited your website this a.m. and looked around a bit, also sent you a FB friend request.

NDG

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
April sales so far:

Amazon--1
Createspace--6
Nook--0
Smashwords--0 (4)

For my next release, I'm really going to sit down and determine if Nook and Smashwords are even worth using. It seems like authors become more popular when they use Amazon exclusively and can give their book away for free on certain days.

I'm getting in the groove again of doing book reviews, which feels good. I'm meeting new authors and building relationships. I have some interviews posted, but participating on other blogs doesn't seem to be helping with sales. I'm just having fun with it.

Next Friday, my giveaway for the $50 Amazon gift card will be officially over. If anyone's interested, make sure to check out my blog and enter to win. Good luck!

I've been wondering that about Smashwords and Nook, too. Amazon has definitely brought in the most sales for me. But I've also heard that the free Amazon promos aren't working as much as they used to. (This was a while back, though. I need to check and see if this is still true!)

Good luck with future sales!

In my own experience, Smashwords is not worth it. I have one book on both Amazon and Smashwords, and another that's KDP Select. I've had 3 paid sales on Smashwords since January, and another 15 or so sales of that title on Amazon in the same time period. Meanwhile, I've had over 400 sales of the KDP Select title since mid-February.

It's working better than Smashwords for me.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
@RLMcKeown, I feel ya on reconsidering Smashwords. It sucks that free promotion may not work as well anymore on Amazon, but I'd still be willing to give it a try. Good luck with your sales too!

@PJanes, yes Amazon is definitely better. For example, when I type my name or books in search box, different books appear. I'm buried in the last pages on Smashwords. But Amazon has me front and clear--helps to have an unique name :)

@CWSchizzy, thanks!

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
@Norman, thank you. My third book is almost in the hands of an editor as we speak. And, I want to publish a short story (suspense), so I'm getting that ready too. If you ever want to guest post on my blog, let me know :)

@Athena, thanks!

@Grayworld, thank you. I always assume when I get paperback sales it's from family and friends, and the ebook sales are from strangers. I've been hearing many authors debating the usage of Smashwords. It does seem like a hassle that isn't worth it. The site has never even approved my two books for the premium catalog, saying my book cover images are too small. It looks like the same sizes of other authors' books listed...

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
@Dave, it sounds like you had success with KDP. I'm a commitment phobe, that's why being tied to only Amazon for 3 months scares me, but...if the site is the only one that's giving me sales, then it's time to take that step. I've had one paid sale on Smashwords, the others were free due to the Read An Ebook event. At this rate, I'll never receive a royalty deposit from them LOL

-----
I've been rethinking my stance of if giveaways help. I change my mind--they do. I've been seeing readers rate One By One on Goodreads, and have been adding Something's Amiss to their To-Read shelf. I've also been contacted through Goodread's email and Facebook's PM by readers saying how much they've enjoyed my books. That's always a warm feeling :) At first, it looked like nothing was happening, but I need to learn to be patient.

I'm doing a Goodreads Giveaway for my women's fiction novella. I'm waiting for it to be approved, and I have a few interviews coming up. I'm excited to be making my rounds on the blog scene again. Guest posts are always fun!

I'm always up for a challenge, trying to find successful marketing strategies. Thank you for following my publishing journey :)

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Oh, I just realized Something's Amiss is situated in Rhode Island, my old stomping grounds. Always nice to see something about Little Rhody. How did you happen to pick that? Any ties back there?

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Norman,

No ties to Rhode Island. I'm just fascinated with seaport states like RI, Delaware, Maryland, and Maine. One day I'd like to visit.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I've been seeing readers rate One By One on Goodreads, and have been adding Something's Amiss to their To-Read shelf. I've also been contacted through Goodread's email and Facebook's PM by readers saying how much they've enjoyed my books. That's always a warm feeling :)

I think those are the biggest perks! Congrats! :D

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
AgathaChristieFan;8832335I've been hearing many authors debating the usage of Smashwords. It does seem like a hassle that isn't worth it. The site has never even approved my two books for the premium[/QUOTE said:
ACF, I felt this same way (the "premium" thing drives me nuts!) but discovered that SW had dribbled enough royalties into my account to make it a worthwhile site despite the frustration. If the aggravation just isn't worth it to you, have you considered placing your work on Draft2Digital instead?

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey PortableHal,

That's the thing--my books haven't been accepted into the premium catalog. The site says my book cover is too small, and when I make it bigger, then the design disappears like something's wrong. Smashwords doesn't seem worth it, even though I appreciate readers downloading the sample.

After your suggestion, I browsed Draft2Digital, iBookstore, and Kobo. I would definitely give those a shot. I'd go through D2D though because I don't have software to make EPUBs. Thanks for the advice!

----

May 20th will be my one year anniversary of being a published author. I'm so excited! I have to pick a date to discount my books. I browsed Book Gorilla and it looks like their available dates are May 31st to December 31st. I'm going to use this site to see if that will help boost sales once I pick a definite date.

I was considering the KDP program, but I'll try D2D and those other sites first to see if anything comes out of it. The 90 day exclusive on Amazon scares me--I have commitment issues LOL.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kobo is a breeze to use, although not famous for many sales.
You can also upload other file types (like .doc, .docx etc.), they will be automatically converted to epub.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
So, I have to say...I'm reading and watching very closely when it comes to the Amazon vs Everyone Else debate. Right now, both my titles are exclusive to Amazon. I initially did that because I had such a hard time formatting my first book that when it was over, I just didn't have the energy or desire to do it all over again for another sales venue. My plan was to "get around to it later." However, after reading and watching others who are on Smashwords and the like, it seems like the general consensus is that Amazon still out sells them by a huge amount. That being said, last month, I was going to take both titles out of KDP Select and try D2D. At the last minute, I changed my mind and kept them in. I ran a free promo and Kindle Countdown and saw a big bump in sales. So, for now, I'm keeping my books exclusively on Amazon. We'll see how it plays out over the next few months. I'm planning on releasing my third book in August, so I'll revisit the pros and cons then.

While being exclusive to Amazon is scary, I have found that it seems to be working for me...at least for now. :)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with cw. I, too, continue to keep tabs on what everyone is doing, and for now, I plan to stick with Amazon.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Entering the mind of an INTJ--we're constantly changing our minds :)

Thanks for your input Athena, CW Browning, and Ann Joyce. Today, I unpublished both my books on Smashwords and Barnes and Noble. Once that's final, I'll join KDP on Amazon. 90 days isn't extreme, and I'd like to make use of the countdown and free days to see if that helps boost sales.

When I'm finished with KDP, I'll go back to B&N, and will try D2D.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious how joining KDP Select will turn out for you.
Good luck with the May/June sales!

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
@Dave, it sounds like you had success with KDP. I'm a commitment phobe, that's why being tied to only Amazon for 3 months scares me, but...if the site is the only one that's giving me sales, then it's time to take that step. I've had one paid sale on Smashwords, the others were free due to the Read An Ebook event. At this rate, I'll never receive a royalty deposit from them LOL

-----
I've been rethinking my stance of if giveaways help. I change my mind--they do. I've been seeing readers rate One By One on Goodreads, and have been adding Something's Amiss to their To-Read shelf. I've also been contacted through Goodread's email and Facebook's PM by readers saying how much they've enjoyed my books. That's always a warm feeling :) At first, it looked like nothing was happening, but I need to learn to be patient.

I'm doing a Goodreads Giveaway for my women's fiction novella. I'm waiting for it to be approved, and I have a few interviews coming up. I'm excited to be making my rounds on the blog scene again. Guest posts are always fun!

I'm always up for a challenge, trying to find successful marketing strategies. Thank you for following my publishing journey :)

How cool someone reached out on Goodreads! Congratulations!

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Athena and SunshineOnMe! Tomorrow thru May 22nd starts my free promotion on Amazon for ONE BY ONE, so I'll make sure to let you guys know how it went.

Tomorrow's my 1 year anniversary of being a published author. Woo hoo! It's time for celebration even though an unprofessional author is throwing a temper tantrum. He disliked my 4 star review I just wrote recently, so threatened to "getting into your work shortly." Good thing I have a thick skin LOL

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
That's not very cool (the guy throwing the tantrum). I hope you have excellent results from your promotion, Yawatta. I've wanted to read One by One for awhile now, to offer you support... but... What's stopped me, you ask? I'm skeered!

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Thanks Athena and SunshineOnMe! Tomorrow thru May 22nd starts my free promotion on Amazon for ONE BY ONE, so I'll make sure to let you guys know how it went.

Tomorrow's my 1 year anniversary of being a published author. Woo hoo! It's time for celebration even though an unprofessional author is throwing a temper tantrum. He disliked my 4 star review I just wrote recently, so threatened to "getting into your work shortly." Good thing I have a thick skin LOL

Congrats!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That threat of a retaliatory review is just not on. Keep a screenshot of his threats if it's somewhere you don't control or have copies of, and if he does review your book in a less-than-fair light on Amazon, tell Amazon of his threats. It's not appropriate, and I'm sorry you've had to put up with this.

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, though I have to blink at the reaction someone had at a four star review. Me, I'd grin and be tempted to thank the person.

Some people are just plain weird.