RIP James Garner

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
According to Wiki, James Garner, star of The Rockford Files and a fine all-around actor, passed away July 19th. (It's the 20th here, in Japan).

RIP, sir.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP :(

I loved The Rockford Files

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's a shame. He was a great actor who played very endearing characters.

SadSaddler7

Registered
Reaction score
So long Jimbo Rockford,you looked so much like my Godfather in your detective days,I had two semi-identical Godfathers back in the early eighties,now I only have one.Thank You for every single moment of entertainment.Rest In Peace.....

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Many people here might be too young to remember Garner's breakthrough TV role in the late 1950s western Maverick. Though little discussed, I think it was an important moment in the evolution of TV series. Garner played an antihero, with a considerable dollop of humor and wit. He was an itinerant gambler in the Old West, who got into scrapes due to his profession, and did his best to slide out of them without trouble, but still retained an important degree of honesty and humanity. He was not, by any means, a Marty Stu, an icon of perfection. That, at the time, was new. And the series was a huge success for several years.

Great long career, to be celebrated.

caw

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Many people here might be too young to remember Garner's breakthrough TV role in the late 1950s western Maverick. Though little discussed, I think it was an important moment in the evolution of TV series. Garner played an antihero, with a considerable dollop of humor and wit. He was an itinerant gambler in the Old West, who got into scrapes due to his profession, and did his best to slide out of them without trouble, but still retained an important degree of honesty and humanity. He was not, by any means, a Marty Stu, an icon of perfection. That, at the time, was new. And the series was a huge success for several years.

Great long career, to be celebrated.

caw

I remember him as Maverick's father in the film remake with Mel Gibson.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Maverick was before my time, so Garner will always be Rockford to me. Which basically was Garner taking the Maverick persona into a modern-day detective setting. (And, like a lot of people of my generation, my first introduction to the notion of answering machines...)

But I'll have to check out the older series, too, now more than ever...

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched just about everything he made. Thanks, James. R.I.P.