Boyhood

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Has anyone else seen this? I know it's a fairly limited release. I saw it here in the DC area.

It is a fantastic movie--and truly unlike anything you've ever seen. The premise is that the movie follows a boy (Mason) from the age of 6 to 18. There's no plot, per se; it's a build-up of incidents and memories. Remarkably, this all works so well together that you feel very much a part of the experience of growing up. It's a successful experiment and examination of how memory forms us and how time passes.

I didn't go into the movie having huge expectations. I only knew that they'd followed the same actors for the entirety of the 12-year shoot. If nothing else, I figured it would be interesting to watch the kid grow up on screen. And it was, but the method was more than a gimmick: it was an effective story-telling tool. Time is as much a character as any of the people on screen. The method strips away a layer of artifice: instead of telling us time passed, or finding different actors to portray the same person at different ages, they let time do its work.

This is such a great movie. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you try to find it asap.