Marriage At First Sight...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The reality series where couples meet for the first time (as they exchange vows) at the altar after being "matched" by a panel of experts.

Anyone else watching it and thinking "what a crock!" ;)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the description and thought "What a crock!" without watching it. Yeah, like that's really going to fly in real life in this day and age.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Bravo. Thank you for preserving the sanctity of marriage. Us gays were making some headway in ruining it for others, but you've come along and undone so much of our work. Fie upon thee. Or something.

:sarcasm:gaah

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
The reality series where couples meet for the first time (as they exchange vows) at the altar after being "matched" by a panel of experts.

Anyone else watching it and thinking "what a crock!" ;)

A crock because it's a sad excuse for 'entertainment', or because you think in today's enlightened age people don't get married at first meeting?

Just thinking of some religious or culturally arranged marriages.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
The concept of that is as frightening to me as is any arranged marriage. At least in the latter, the parents have thought about it (though that is still frightening).

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Bravo. Thank you for preserving the sanctity of marriage. Us gays were making some headway in ruining it for others, but you've come along and undone so much of our work. Fie upon thee. Or something.

That's actually the first thought I had too. Gays are put through so much to try and fight for the equal rights of marriage, and then this tv show comes along and literally shows that we'll let anyone get married (as long as they each opposite genitals).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, at least in a traditionally arranged marriage, your family presumably cares about you. At a minimum, they're caring about having this new person in their family, associating with them. As for love, it's all well and good, but people can fall wildly, passionately, madly in love, without that love being in the least stable, long-lasting, or anything to base a life-long commitment on.
What if this 'panel of experts' is picking spouses the way other reality shows pick contestants? Somebody interesting, somebody dramatic, somebody with lots of potential for exciting sequels: 'Marriage Counselling', 'Splitting Up', 'Single Parent Saturday Night'.
The 'experts' will be gone in a season, what about the aftermath?
Of course, I don't imagine anyone was tricked or forced to be on the show, and I assume that they can't be drunk the whole time.:Shrug:
It's a stupid idea for a show, and nothing I'd want in my life, but is it any worse than getting married to a near-stranger on a drunken weekend in Vegas? (And, yes, I know someone who did that. It didn't last, any more than his prior or later attempts at marriage did.)

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I've vowed to never support reality TV shows by watching them. And so far I've stood by that. However, I like to keep up with what they're doing because some concepts are just so amazing(ly stupid).

As others have pointed out in this thread, this show bothers me, because I keep hearing about the sanctity of marriage, blablabla.... which is why apparently I shouldn't be allowed to marry my partner. But, a show like that is fine?

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Agreed. Two consenting adults, who have gotten to know, respect, and love each other should be able to get married, regardless of gender. Idiots who marry for 5 minutes of fame, or some other equally shallow reason should be neutered.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That was my thought.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but love is rarely a factor.

True. In earlier times (and in the present, in some places) it's about property - either keeping it in the family by having cousins or second-cousins marry each other, or alliances to gain more wealth and power. Even in certain countries in Asia (so I'm told by those who lived there) or certain social classes, people often marry for convenience and then have lovers on the side.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Two consenting adults, who have gotten to know, respect, and love each other should be able to get married, regardless of gender. Idiots who marry for 5 minutes of fame, or some other equally shallow reason should be neutered.

And some of us remember how well it worked out the first time.

Whoops! Let's try that one again!

Well, at least THIS franchise keeps it classy.

All of these shows are about as realistic as the entire run of The Love Boat:

• Strange Love (rapper Flavor Flav and actress Brigitte Nielsen met during their season on The Surreal Life and had some romannical shenanigans. VH1 spun them off into a one-off series of their "courtship". The bitter feelings between them are evident by the second episode and they've broken up by the end of the series.)
  • Flavor of Love (spin-off of Strange Love; Flavor Flav invited 20 women into "his house" and gave them all ridiculous nicknames in an attempt to find twoo wuv; ran at least three seasons; ended with him choosing to marry his baby mama)
  • I Love New York (spin-off of Flavor of Love featuring Tiffany "New York" [the moniker bestowed upon her by Flavor Flav] Pollard, following the same format; ran two seasons and spun off Real Chance of Love, with Real and Chance [again, nicknames given by New York] looking for somebody to fall in love with; one of the last ...of Love iterations on VH1)
  • Rock of Love (the "rawk 'n' roool" version with Bret Michaels; also ran at least three seasons; built-in drinking game because he would leer at one of the contestants and say "me likey" at least once per episode)
  • Daisy of Love (spin-off of Rock of Love, featuring a cast-off contestant that nobody loved to love or hated to hate; if she fell off a cliff and died, nobody would have tuned in to watch even that)
  • A Shot At Love with Tila Tequila (a "dating show" featuring the first person on MySpace to get 1,000,000 "friends". The second season of this one so obviously proved how scripted most of these shows are. The "winner" changed her mind at the last second and announced she wasn't ready for a relationship with another woman, falling off script. Tila Tequila could not ad-lib during the live reunion show to save her life.)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
A crock because it's a sad excuse for 'entertainment', or because you think in today's enlightened age people don't get married at first meeting?

Just thinking of some religious or culturally arranged marriages.

I think it's a crock because those people probably already know each other and planned to get married. They just agreed to pretend not to know each other so that they could have their weddings paid for.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The concept of that is as frightening to me as is any arranged marriage. At least in the latter, the parents have thought about it (though that is still frightening).

Yes, at least in a traditionally arranged marriage, your family presumably cares about you. At a minimum, they're caring about having this new person in their family, associating with them.
Or they care about the dowry your marriage will bring. Or the leg up in society.

Personally, I don't value 5 minutes of fame very highly, but nor do I value marriage very highly. I'd totally marry a random stranger in exchange for a good stack of money or something.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't value 5 minutes of fame very highly, but nor do I value marriage very highly. I'd totally marry a random stranger in exchange for a good stack of money or something.

I can understand this. And the people on the show are probably getting paid a good stack of money.

People can get married for any reason they want. As long as they are honest about their reasons, they are free to do so.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
I love this show. It is how my great-grandparents and grandparents got married. Arranged marriages are the norm for my family. It is a very sweet and nice show. I love the people on that show :)

Last edited: