Snowpiercer

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This movie sounds stupid.

But it is actually genius.

The basic premise is that an attempt to cool the world after global warming by releasing particulates into the atmosphere accidentally causes a massive ice age, freezing everyone on the earth. The only man-made structure to remain livable is a former luxury train with a perpetual motion engine that goes around the world forever.

The people at the back are treated like shit. The people at the front are treated awesome.

Revolution occurs. Ax fights happen. Things get dark and awesome.

But the thing that I love most about this movie: The stupidest part of the film (the fact that everything is on a train) is answered in the best, most twisted way imaginable.

...the guy who built the train is FUCKING INSANE. He's completely fucking mental. He built this stupid train BEFORE the world ended, and if the world hand't ended, everyone would be pointing and going, "Look at that fucker and his fucking train. That's fucking stupid."

And now he's like, "Ha ha ha, they all laughed at me. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW, SUCKERS!?"

So, yeah.

Go see it.

Uh, unless you don't like graphic violence, extremely disturbing dystopian imagery, and a bleak nihilism that pervades the film like a Siberian winter.

Then you can skip it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Saw it a few months ago and even wrote a review (in Spanish) on how it's the best dystopia to pop out in years.

The society feels real in its own organic way (something I never felt with The Hunger Games) amd the fact that the main dilemma is oppresive order that allow us to survive Vs. Liberating chaos that could kill us all makes it quite a parable for a world that has to face overpopulation, scarcity and inequality.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
It was a good flick and well acted although, as stated, it's very bleak. But an interesting observation on a dystopian future.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I've heard a lot about this movie--though, mostly from Korea, not much State side. :(

Yay! Song Kang-Ho! :D

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

Watched it a few weeks ago and thought the characters made a very stupid decision by taking the train. I mean, I get it that they wanted their freedom and all that... but at the expense of every single passenger dying? What's the point? It's not like their sacrifice helped the rest of the world... there are no other humans. Or if there are, maybe there are 1-2 somewhere out there. So they all died for nothing and on top of that they basically ensure the extinction of the human race.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

Watched it a few weeks ago and thought the characters made a very stupid decision by taking the train. I mean, I get it that they wanted their freedom and all that... but at the expense of every single passenger dying? What's the point? It's not like their sacrifice helped the rest of the world... there are no other humans. Or if there are, maybe there are 1-2 somewhere out there. So they all died for nothing and on top of that they basically ensure the extinction of the human race.

I believe this is the crux of the film and why Wilford has a point. The heroes are doing right for the wrong reasons while the villians do wrong for the right reasons.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, my friend pointed this out: If you notice, the map of the train's route leads it through THE COLDEST AND LEAST HOSPITABLE PLACES ON EARTH.

And, moreover, the polar bear at the end means that the ecosystem has survived enough to sustain a apex predator like the polar bear.

What does this mean?

Well, it means that humanity is, most likely, utterly fine, near the equator, in their own shelters.

The train was completely and utterly fucking pointless.

Which, considering it is a metaphor for modern class division, makes the whole thing work even more for me >.>

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Actually, my friend pointed this out: If you notice, the map of the train's route leads it through THE COLDEST AND LEAST HOSPITABLE PLACES ON EARTH.

The Wilford video the children are watching in class shows the train passing by South America, though.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The Wilford video the children are watching in class shows the train passing by South America, though.

It did? I thought it was zipping way further below the equator, but...to be fair, it only was on the screen for a short time.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My son and I saw Snowpiercer a few weeks ago. I liked it okay, but its not as though it changed my life or anything.

I don't get why the critics are jizzing themselves over this movie. Sure, it's better than watching another damn Transformers flick, but it's not the greatest movie ever made.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I just watched it.

"So, this is basically The Raid or Dredd, only horizontal, right?" I asked my friend.

"Pretty much."

But the movie had me. It really, really had me. It was beautiful, it had everything, it was simple, it didn't rely on huge camera gimmicks, the action was clear, very little shaky cam and the plot was unpredictable.

Then in the last 10 minutes it lost me.

I found the ending weak and dissapointing. Still, I recommend everyone who likes things like Dredd or Children of Men or Terminator see this movie.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zoombie, your review completed nailed it. A powerful film with a stupid, but well-explained premise...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this last night and thought it was really well done. Some stunning camera work and cinematography. A really dark concept.

My friend is a film professor and she assigned this to her class. For the final project, they had to state who the "hero" of the movie was and give lots of evidence. Not sure who the heck I would pick.