Wanting to Watch TV Shows...

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Hello.

My significant other and I have had Netflix for awhile now, and I've found that I miss watching TV. I can be quite picky when it comes to watching TV shows, though. XD

Shows I have watched and enjoyed are...

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Game of Thrones

I know, it's a small list. I guess you can see similarities, like fantasy/supernatural elements. Drama is nice as well. ^^

So thus, if you have any suggestions, please do share!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second Fringe, and if you liked Buffy, you may well like Supernatural as well.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My husband and I have watched and enjoyed all of those shows.

A couple of months ago, we started watching Supernatural, and we love it. It's about two brothers who hunt vampires, ghosts, demons and other creatures. It's funny, scary, sometimes serious - very reminiscent of Buffy.

I really like Continuum, which I think is available on Netflix. At least I really liked the first two seasons of it. It's SciFi rather than fantasy, but I enjoy the strong female lead characters and the interplay of past/future/present.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
If you liked Buffy, Joss Whedon also did Firefly (space cowboys), Dollhouse (mind-manipulation drama), and Agents of SHIELD (Avengers movies spinoff). Thirding Supernatural as well.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you never watched The X-Files, do it. At least through Season 5. (Things start falling apart after that, though there are a few decent ones hidden in the muck...)

And if you like sci-fi, try Babylon 5 and Farscape. (Both take a little while to hit their stride, but in their prime they were about the best the genre had to offer.)

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Another vote for Fringe. (Also my nephew was in an episode.)

Hannibal (gory drama mindscrew)

Orange is the New Black (female woman's prison comedy/drama)

Archer (Animated spy comedy. Kind of raunchy but hilarious. And the characters grow and change which is uncommon for animation sometimes.)

ETA: FARSCAPE! Yes, another vote for Farscape. I'm watching it right now. Like Brightdreamer said, it takes a while to get going but season 3 is amazing.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Doctor Who, the new series. Particularly the first 4 seasons + specials were an attempt to revamp the show inspired by Buffy.

Maybe try Pushing Daisies. It's a little lighter, though it's all about death. And if you like that, Wonderfalls and/or Dead Like Me. These don't have the sweeping fantasy arc of your examples, but I think they appeal to Buffy fans in some ways, and PD has a fairytale feel to it too.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Oh, if you don't mind sometimes-blunt takes on social issues, there was a series called Any Day Now (dunno if it's on Netflix or not) - a white woman and a black woman in Birmingham rekindle a friendship that had been on hold since their early teens. Some very memorable moments in that one, tackling subjects I haven't seen many series brave enough to tackle (the "n-word" issue, the Holocaust and its parallels in the historic treatment of Native Americans, etc.) Also some dark stuff with the KKK and racism.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Looked up all these shows on Netflix!

Everything except for Babylon 5, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, and Any Day Now are on Netflix. Now to tackle these!

Also, I have seen Dollhouse when I had TV and haven't watched the Avengers, so I'll avoid Agents of SHIELD for now.

In ABC order!

• Farscape
  • Firefly
  • Fringe
  • Continuum
  • Hannibal
  • New Doctor Who
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Supernatural
  • X-Files

*starts episode one of Farscape*

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
I go along with most of the above and here's some more:

The Walking Dead: I know what you're thinking but see the first episode and you'll be hooked. Warning: it's a tad visceral.

Falling Skies: Aliens attack Earth and small bands of human fight back. Great show.

Breaking Bad: A hugely popular show about a high school teacher, diagnosed with cancer, who becomes a drug producer. Fabulous show.

Fargo: A relatively new show about a hit man (Billy Bob Thornton) who arrives in a small Minnesota and chaos ensues. Only ten episodes but each one will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Battlestar Galactica (the new one): Adult S/F with many a twist and turn. A real treat.

That's all I've got for now but it should keep you and yours out of mischief.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for Hannibal too. Unfortunately I never got the chance to watch the second season. Would it be on DVD or On Demand? I don't know. I have to look. But every time I think about it, I want to watch it but I never do. I did the same thing with Grimm too. And that one was awesome too. You might like that Miss S, if you liked Buffy. Not sure if it was mentioned.