Received contract!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey guys. I received a contract offer from a decent smaller publisher today! I did just send a full request to my top publishing pick last Friday though and have another full and a partial out as well.

What do I say to the other guys who are still considering?

I received a contract offer today but would love to work with you... what do I say after that? Everything I came up with sounds a little pushy.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I received a contract offer from a decent smaller publisher today! I did just send a full request to my top publishing pick last Friday though and have another full and a partial out as well.

I received a contract offer today but would love to work with you... what do I say after that? Everything I came up with sounds a little pushy.
---

First off, congrats on getting the contract! If you're going to go with this decent-sized smaller publisher--and only you can make that decision--then I'd tell the other publishers the truth right away. That way, it'll save them time from reading through your manuscript when they could be doing other things.

I've been in the same situation. Publishers may seem sort of greedy when they say "you should have come to me first and told me" and I can understand that POV. After all, they get hundreds if not thousands of manuscripts a year and have to wade through them and decide who to take and who to turn down. At the same time, though, you have to do for you first and foremost. So if they get a little pissed, it's understandable, but the process works both ways. Tell them the truth and have done with it. Best of luck!

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My first choice would be one that's still reviewing the full, I just sent it to them last Friday.

I'm not sure what exactly I would say to gently nudge them, or if they'll even have time to review if they've only had it a week.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats! Tell the other publishers you have an offer and need to make a decision by x date. If they're interested, let you know ASAP. That's all you have to do.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks. I did just that and they already responded and said it would be no problem to have an answer by the date given. :)

Now I can just be happy to have an offer!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

When I was in this situation writer friends advised me to ask for two weeks to consider, and ask tell those with the full that you have an offer and could they get back to you in two weeks. I ended up with my top pick. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs on the offer and the possibility of another!

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sooo I received another offer today from a totally different pub. They are both e-book and POD companies. Still waiting on the bigger company, but this is a dream no matter what.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Sooo I received another offer today from a totally different pub. They are both e-book and POD companies. Still waiting on the bigger company, but this is a dream no matter what.

That's AWESOME news, jorodo! I'm sure you'll make the right choice! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:hooray::banana::TheWave:

robertt

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.lacydawnadventures.com
Which Will Put the Most Into Advertising?

I remember having been so accomplished by being selected for publication by a small, elite, press located in Leeds. However, sales of Rarity from the Hollow have been low despite glowing book reviews by "the experts." For example: [FONT=&quot]http://electricrev.net/2014/08/12/a-universe-on-the-edge/

[/FONT]I'm trying to figure out what to do with the sequel. Small presses seem to equal low advertising budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.