First Major Work - 18,000 words so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverwhere

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

It's not much of an achievement but I've been challenging myself to write 2,000 words a day on my first novel. So far I'm at just under 20,000 words of my first draft. It's hard to keep putting that many words on the page everyday but I just want to create a habit out of writing, right now and if that means I'll finish a first draft in a few months then so much the better.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Persistence and regular work are the keys to finishing scripts, so you're on the right track! Onward.

lottarobyn

Registered
Reaction score
2k per day can be a lot! Especially if you have something else going on full-time (work, school, family). If you can keep up that pace, you'll have the first draft knocked out in no time.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
2K a day is awesome! Congrats!

Neverwhere

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I agree 2k a day is very challenging, much more so than I anticipated but I'm not willing to lower my quota since I seem to be making it so far. What I like about it is that it forces me into short bursts of deep focus in order to get the words out and then critically think about each scene and what is and isn't being portrayed there. I rewrote a single chapter three times before I got the right mix of action, characterisation and backstory into it.

I'm aiming for a finished work around 60-70k words, but I tend to ramble and write redundancies so it'll probably end up twice that in a first draft. Overall I'm enjoying the slight high you get from smashing out words, that feeling of moving towards something rather than being stuck. I can't claim what's going onto the page is high quality but it's better than nothing at all.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's all about cranking out words. I know that sounds trite, but it's true. Just keep doing that. In the end, it'll pay dividends. Just keep working and working and working. That's key.

Neverwhere

Registered
Reaction score
20,500 words as of today. Yay! The most I've ever written on a single topic. My characters are really starting to come to life now and I'm finding it easier to build scenes and know what the dialogue should be. I'm getting a sense that this is a story and not just useless ramblings in a vague direction. Mission accomplished for today!

joelisawriter

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! It's inspiring to a newcomer like me to know that you're a real human being going through this stuff, too!

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Good job! I can only keep up that pace for a few days before I burn out.

Neverwhere

Registered
Reaction score
Great job. Ever done NaNoWriMo? With 2,000 words a day you'd certainly write that 50,000 word novel in a month. ;)

No. No idea what that is. But I guess it's a good thing if I can crank out 50k a month.

Neverwhere

Registered
Reaction score
Currently at 24,000 words. Not as far as I would like but life got in the way these past few weeks. Plus I had to take some brain time to really get in my head what I wanted to convey in terms of character development.

Rebel-Dynasty

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeldynasty.wordpress.com
Currently at 24,000 words. Not as far as I would like but life got in the way these past few weeks. Plus I had to take some brain time to really get in my head what I wanted to convey in terms of character development.

Don't get discouraged--I think losing steam every now and then is part and parcel to the whole writing experience. As long as you try to write every day, and most importantly, you're enjoying it, then you'll do just fine. ^^ Hang in there!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score

Just keep hammering away at it. As it gets longer, it will be more difficult to manage - holding it all in your head, making revisions for consistency, and keeping it going in the right direction. It will all grow more and more complex, so I think you can expect to slow down some as you progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.