Okay. Which way to the NY Times Best Seller list from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason E

Beam me up. Scotty!
Registered
Reaction score
The only accomplishments I can announce here is 1: I have begun taking my first creative writing course in college. 2: I actually have written a 139 page scifi novel but haven't gotten it published yet. It's only a first draft and only took ten years to write.......:Headbang::drool

My goals, first I want to get to that 50 post limit and start posting some of my works and get opinions on them. This is a must as I am hopelessly addicted to feedback. Second, I want to complete my creative writing course and all of the classes related to it. There are literally thousands of jobs out there where you can get paid just to write. I want to learn exactly what those jobs are, what skills and education are required for them, which one appeals to me the most, and how to land that job so I'll have steady income while working on becoming a best selling author. And third, I want to make it onto the NY Times Best Seller list at least once before I die.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Let me give you one more goal, Jason: critique as many stories as you can. Critiquing others is often as good as having others critique you. Not only that, others will be more likely to critique what you post if you've shown you're willing to give back to the community.

Welcome and enjoy.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Haggis.

Good luck with your goals!

Jason E

Beam me up. Scotty!
Registered
Reaction score
Let me give you one more goal, Jason: critique as many stories as you can. Critiquing others is often as good as having others critique you. Not only that, others will be more likely to critique what you post if you've shown you're willing to give back to the community.

Welcome and enjoy.

Where do I find these stories? I've been looking around and every thread I've checked had nothing but comments about this and that. Where are the stories?

Lanaa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jason,
Give yourself some credit! Some people talking about writing a book and never do it. You've taken a huge step by putting your thoughts into words and an even bigger one by enrolling in a class that will broaden your literary horizons. I feel the same way about feedback, good or bad, it's crucial. Keep moving forward and you will slowly start to check off some of the goals on your to-do list. Good luck :)

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. The only way to reach your goals is to set those goals and know what they are. You've covered that part so that's key. Keeping charging forward.

Bolder

Registered
Reaction score
pretty sure 139 pages is too short for a novel, but at least you can write another one right? And welcome, but please please don't let all those teachers convince you to write in present tense.

Jason E

Beam me up. Scotty!
Registered
Reaction score
pretty sure 139 pages is too short for a novel, but at least you can write another one right? And welcome, but please please don't let all those teachers convince you to write in present tense.

Well. It's only a first draft. And, thanks to the creative writing course I'm taking, I've learned that I made just about every mistake possible in it. It's going to need at least one major, and I do mean Major, rewrite before I even think of going to a publisher or agent. :Headbang:

SarahEmma

Registered
Reaction score
Well done, the first step to achieving your dreams is realizing them. Now you know what you want there's only one way forward, hard work and perseverance, it won't be easy but it will be rewarding. Best of luck :) .

Jason E

Beam me up. Scotty!
Registered
Reaction score
I've completed my creative writing course in college. Scored a 92 on the final!:hooray: Now I'm looking into taking a screenwriting course.:popcorn::Lecture:

Status
Not open for further replies.