Status
Not open for further replies.

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
Congrats on taking the next big step! I'm right there with you -- just started submitting about a week and a half ago. It's so nerve-wracking! Are you working on a new project yet? I'm trying to pick a new idea to start on, and it's really difficult. _ _;

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Congrats on taking the next big step! I'm right there with you -- just started submitting about a week and a half ago. It's so nerve-wracking! Are you working on a new project yet? I'm trying to pick a new idea to start on, and it's really difficult. _ _;

It is nerve-wracking. I like to think I'm cool and in control and not at all affected, but I've been over-reacting to all sorts of minor things since I started, so I think I'm just projecting.

Yeah, I'm working on a new WIP and revising two other books while I submit, so I have plenty to keep busy. And hopefully if this book doesn't get an agent's attention, I'll have one of the others ready to submit by the end of the year. Which ideas are you torn between? You could try writing a little of each and see which speaks to you most.

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
I definitely feel you about projecting query anxiety onto other things. At first all my anxiety was channeled into OVER-researching agents and subsequently revising my queries to them 8000 times, but I've moved on to personalize, submit, and walk away. Then doing as you say - projecting. :Shrug:

I'm working on a few flash fiction pieces to get some of my shorter ideas out so they'll stop bugging me. I'm hoping once I get those done, there will be room in my brain for the bigger ideas to more fully develop. I have rough ideas for two more novels and a fleshed out idea for a third, but the fleshed-out one is so serious... not sure I feel like writing something heavy right now.

Here's hoping you have some inbox love from agents today! :Clap:

ssbittner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I definitely feel you about projecting query anxiety onto other things. At first all my anxiety was channeled into OVER-researching agents and subsequently revising my queries to them 8000 times, but I've moved on to personalize, submit, and walk away. Then doing as you say - projecting. :Shrug:

Well, I've been having a lot of anxiety about other things in my life too this week, so it's at least distracted me from querying anxiety. I don't think that's a good thing, though. :/

I'm working on a few flash fiction pieces to get some of my shorter ideas out so they'll stop bugging me. I'm hoping once I get those done, there will be room in my brain for the bigger ideas to more fully develop. I have rough ideas for two more novels and a fleshed out idea for a third, but the fleshed-out one is so serious... not sure I feel like writing something heavy right now.

Sometimes it can take a little while to figure out which novel is ready to be written. When I finished revising and started submitting this novel, I thought I'd start writing another in this universe (an unrelated prequel.) Instead, I've somehow made it halfway through a YA fantasy. Sometimes an unexpected, unfleshed-out idea is the one that really seizes you.

Here's hoping you have some inbox love from agents today! :Clap:

No word from anyone yet, not even rejections. Everyone must have a busy week! I sent out more on Monday, though, so hopefully I will hear from someone soon. Even getting rejections feels sort of good. It makes me feel like I'm in the game.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
No matter the route you take, it's a rough road, ssbittner. I wish you the best of luck, but please remember it's a long slough in the writin' game. You'll hit highs and lows, but the key is hanging in there. So hang in there :)

Keep. Writing.

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
Well, I've been having a lot of anxiety about other things in my life too this week, so it's at least distracted me from querying anxiety. I don't think that's a good thing, though. :/

:Hug2: Sending you positive, relaxing vibes. Anxiety is no joke.

No word from anyone yet, not even rejections. Everyone must have a busy week! I sent out more on Monday, though, so hopefully I will hear from someone soon. Even getting rejections feels sort of good. It makes me feel like I'm in the game.

Some agents take 6-8 weeks to reply (or longer!), which is torture. I hear that August/September is when a lot of agents are submitting to editors -- maybe that's what it is? Either way, it's great that you have another novel to pour your energy into. Best of luck with it!

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score

When you get your first full request, you're going to fall out of your chair. :D

ssbittner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
:Hug2: Sending you positive, relaxing vibes. Anxiety is no joke.

Thanks, mkEngland. I've started to see a therapist about my anxiety and depression, so hopefully they'll have some good coping strategies that will help me stay productive while I query.

Some agents take 6-8 weeks to reply (or longer!), which is torture. I hear that August/September is when a lot of agents are submitting to editors -- maybe that's what it is? Either way, it's great that you have another novel to pour your energy into. Best of luck with it!

I got a couple rejections today, so it seems like the agents are starting to work through their piles of queries. Thanks for your good wishes!

When you get your first full request, you're going to fall out of your chair. :D

I look forward to bruising my tailbone!

Neverwhere

Registered
Reaction score
I can only dream about being in your shoes. Congratulations and keep us updated.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sending calming vibes and congrats on the partial. If your therapist gives you ideas on how to deal with the anxiety let me know ... I could use it too right now haha.

mkEngland

Geektastic Librarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkengland.com
Thanks, mkEngland. I've started to see a therapist about my anxiety and depression, so hopefully they'll have some good coping strategies that will help me stay productive while I query.

So glad to hear that, ssbittner! Definitely share that wisdom with the rest of us. Good luck with everything.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
The partial request came to nothing. Alas.

Well, as much of a bummer is that is, think of it this way. This is the next step in becoming a professional writer. Learning to deal with rejection. There will be a lot of it on this road, and the key is to just keep plugging away at it. Keep submitting and most importantly, keep writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.