• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Medallion Press, Inc. / Medallion Media Group

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that. It was a spur of the moment post before leaving for work. I had no clue exactly what I wanted to say, but I did want to immediately make some kind of warning about querying this publisher based on the past info listed. My bad.

These are facts:

1) Medallion Press is now Medallion Media Group. The three branches are for publishing, movies and music.
2) The business hook-up with IPG has had no major positive effect on distribution, from those authors I spoke to. In fact, the issue of dealing with backcover blurbs and the like became a nightmare.
3) Today, the publisher cut loose some of their long-standing authors with regards to their upcoming releases. The company is paying out the full advance, but will not be publishing the books. Authors are recieving ALL their rights back, including characters used in series.
4) Today, some authors who were to be published in mass market and hard cover were notified that the books will only come out in ebook. Lets just say, thats not going over well.
5) One author in particular was told that the company focus is switching to ebook, rather than print.

So there it is.

How did you find this out?

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
How did you find this out?

From the authors themselves. The only item that may be construed as personal opinion is the impact of IPG on sales. However, those opinions were based on pre/post IPG sales, and the day to day dealings on the publishing side of things. Back and forths over cover copy, correction of copy, etc.

And I will say, these authors aren't Divas. They aren't the type to b*tch and moan at every turn. They are BICHOK people. Strong work ethics.

(For the new people out there, BICHOK is Butt in chair-hands on keyboard)

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Crud, just sent off to this pub a few days ago.

Anon76, how is it that you know all these authors pub'd by Medallion?

Wasn't there just a recent press release about this house rolling out a new imprint?

Are the authors you speak of all under one imprint?

If the house in general is going this direction, why would it not have been publicized before they start hacking writing contracts? You'd think they'd want to stay in front of that with a positive spin?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
From that page you can then click on the Medallion Press logo. Then select the About page. I find it rather...interesting.

I did.. What was so interesting? I must be missing something?

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Crud, just sent off to this pub a few days ago.

Anon76, how is it that you know all these authors pub'd by Medallion?

Wasn't there just a recent press release about this house rolling out a new imprint?

Are the authors you speak of all under one imprint?

If the house in general is going this direction, why would it not have been publicized before they start hacking writing contracts? You'd think they'd want to stay in front of that with a positive spin?

Grrr, can't figure out how to use the multi-quote option, so I'll just take things one at a time.

First, don't fret about your submission. I'm giving information so people can make informed decisions. You may find MP to be a perfect match for you. Only you can decide that. (Plus, I see you have a horror sig line. MP loves horror as of late.)

I don't know about the press release thing. I do know that they are now publishing non-fiction books, if that is what you are speaking of. One is about the owners battle with cancer, one is from a pro-wrestler, one from a diet and excercise person, and another from the ex-girlfriend of John Holmes.

The authors in question are from varied sub-genres published by MP. The ones seeming to take the biggest hit at this moment are in romance. But other sub-genres are feeling the pinch as well.

As to your final question, I dunno. Their last newsletter spoke of exciting changes to come that they weren't going to divulge yet. Perhaps this ebook switch is that change.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
I did.. What was so interesting? I must be missing something?

Maybe it's just me being an old fogey. The bios of the staff are cute and campy, but to me, well, this is the professional face you are presenting to the world. Not just to writers and readers (and Lord knows we're a fun lot) but to suits at B&N, IPG, Amazon, Baker&Taylor, Ingrams, etc.

Just seems like it needs toned down a bit. Again, that might just be me being a fogey.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Anon76 -

You have no right to discuss in a public form anything that was brought to light on our private loop without first receiving permission from all those directly affected by the statements you are making.

Julie

P.S. My next book is still due out in April in hardback so I will not be speaking about any of the above as I have no first hand experience. However, I can tell you that I have NOT heard that they are switching to distributing primarily ebooks.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting.

Of all the books of theirs I read, I preferred the print (historical; by an AWer, in fact) over the ebooks (romance).

I'm guessing that if they plan on focussing on e, they're going to keep mostly romance authors since that's the genre that seems to do best in electronic formats.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Julie, thanks for the input. I'm suspecting there's likely a lot of opinion mixed with hearsay mixed with potentially unfounded data in all this...probably needs to be a wait and see what they say/do situation...and I can’t see how anyone would/should hold off on querying/subbing to this house based on the ‘information’ provided.

William A. Veselik

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livelycorpses.com
I'm curious. None of the switch to ebook focus is mentioned on their website. I know Greg Lamberson, a fellow member of the Horror Writers Association, just inked a two-book deal with Medallion and he's had great previous experience with them.

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
No Agent? (merged into Medallion Press thread in BR&BC)

Hey, so I have got a few manuscript request, to be specific three for my YA fantasy and one which seemed to be very excited about my ms was not an agent. They say that they usually take months to get back but got back to me and requested my ms in 3 days. It's a press called Medallion Press, so they are not giant but I just want to know whether it is a good way to go and whether I should keep looking for an agent or stick to them (if they decide to rep my novel which they showed really high interest in. J)...I actually saw some books in my local Chapters from Medallion so I imagine they aren't tiny, but I am just not sure. They seem like a very great publishing press but I would love to have some opinions. Thanks!

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
wait, do they pay advances? (may have missed this)

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Their YaYa line looks like a great idea...too bad my protag is older than 18! But I think they've really got something there!

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Got a rejection from Medallion in less than a month (without an agent), so they read fast. They have a very good horror line of paperbacks that I have seen in my local B&N store, so I know they're legit and have decent distribution. Don't know about their advances.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Oh no. I screwed up. I just looked at their covers and other books. [motorboating my lips...] I had them mixed up with Mid-List Press!!

Nevermind.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I've been trying to grab the attention of this publisher for what seems like forever. They're fast alright--got my doors blown off on two YA titles within two months of each other, both of which have sold, and one of them taking first place in a novel contest. I haven't signed either contract offers yet.

This bugs me about them. I just wonder if I got rejected in a mass pool without any serious consideration. Could have been my word length, though.

As far as I know, they offer low advances and have some distribution in place.

tri

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, nonfiction subs must now be agented.

Author CJ Black

My Skin Is Thick enough, thank you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorcjblack.com
New Information?

Is there any recent information on this publisher? I've tried Google but there doesn't seem to be any complaints. I read earlier on the thread that there were some clauses in the contract that an author might want to keep an eye on? Thanks and Peace

CJ