Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to write for my age when I was 26. And everyone said, "she sounds like a teen." So, yeah, I write for teens or younger.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to this thread and new to writing YA. I made the big decision back in February to trash a 5yr WIP and try something new. YA lit and young adults in general are nothing new to me as I'm a teen librarian. I don't know why writing YA hasn't occurred to me before. :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Hilldawg, tell me about being a teen librarian. Is this in a public library or a school? I have always wanted to be a librarian, but put off by the cost of the master's degree and lack of available jobs (I am limited to my area).

I think young fiction fits my writing style. I started out in newswriting and all the old ladies liked me because they could understand what I was saying. They say life is like a bell and we revert to our childhood, so those old ladies were my first teen audience, since no teens read small town newspapers.

Unless, of course, an elderly genre comes to the fore. I did like the nursing home scenes in Water for Elephants.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Is it weird that I feel freaked out that there's only two books I'm currently reading? ;)

But I'm not going to start up a new one right this second. Now I'm going to work on Austin's scenes.

And :welcome: Hilldawg

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
LOL :roll:- Sage you are only reading 2 books? Try "reading" one (according to Goodreads).
And by that I mean I say I am 40 pages in but I haven't picked up the book in ages! (Bitterblue by Kr*stin Cashore)

Welcome Hilldawg! Glad to have a librarian/writer on the boards.:welcome:

I'm here briefly...I'm writing my senior thesis; almost done! :hooray: Its about the loss of innocence/feminism/sexual awakening, Parad!se L0st and H!s Dark Mater!als. I love it so far even if I feel like :eek: half the time. I worry my professor won't like it or it won't make sense, etc.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You should have seen me when I was first-drafting TM. I think I had 5 or 6 going. One's always an audiobook (and thanks to my new running goals, I'm actually listening to them again instead of waiting for the right job and mood at work). And I should probably give up on THE IRON THORN, which has been at 51% for ages. Right not I haven't totally decided on my next book that I will actually be reading, so that's where the nerves come in. But usually I have one or two I'm actually really reading, the audiobook, and one that I'm not really reading.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A certain editor I have subbed to has been talking about The Avengers all over Twitter. I hope she gets to H/V's submission while she's feeling the superhero love.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, good luck Sage. I just saw the Avengers and I hope this means more superhero stuff coming our way (including your stuff). :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would totally die happy if H/V was released in print. I love that book.

Maybe I should twitter-stalk some agents and see who's feeling the superhero love these days, then query them. With my luck, it will be all the agents I already queried, lol

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I know, right. Just your luck. One day, Sage...*sends future-Sage a vase full of flowers for signing with an agent*
When I was querying agents, the agents I thought who would <3 my novel were all "n0." The ones who I was "eh I'm querying a long shot" all requested.:Shrug:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I see that a lot. "I'm looking for everything that is in Sage's book," then "not for me." lol

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
WTG, that's amazing!

(we're supposed to be on topic in here?)

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I always feel like I come in and start a new topic. I'm just trying to kinda stay on topic here.

I like agents. Secret agents, superagents... :tongue LOL I'd really like an agent to like me - that would be great.

and thank you; I'm so proud of this thesis/paper. *snuggles it*

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the thesis. I don't know anyone who had to write a thesis for an undergraduate degree. I thought those were for graduate students. What are you (almost done) studying?

I ask a lot of questions. I wandered onto your thread and started grilling you all. LOL.

I set up my author's page on Facebook tonight. I feel like I am coming out of the closet. Maybe I will make a splash, or, more likely, a dribble in a really big pond.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, our professor called it a thesis (but some classmates just call it a 'big research paper') :D But since he called it a thesis...I call it a thesis :Shrug: I studied creative writing/literature.

Yay for an author FB page! :hooray:

Also every time you post I think JK Rowling is on the boards :roll:

I am re-watching this video and remembering how wonderful the book was. Gah. Why is this Aussie fantasy/sci-fi/steampunk/dystopian trilogy not in the States yet? :rant: It is sooo good! People would eat it up here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOO30XXK_IM&feature=plcp

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Smiley! I never had to write a thesis but Hubby did, so I know what a big undertaking it is!

I shared my news in the blogroll, but I'm not above shameless self-promotion so I'll put it here too. I'm being mentored in The Writer's Voice competition. So excited! (and it's by Krista Van Dolzer, a fellow AW'er!).

Also, I queried an agent Thursday and got a request for a full Friday. This is my third full request, maybe third time's the charm? (I've been trying so hard not to think/obsess/worry about it/maintain a nonchalant if it happens it happens attitude, but it's SO hard!).

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm totally not stalking the agent on twitter or anything...no...and I'm definitely not refreshing right now, just to see if their feed updated...

Status
Not open for further replies.