The New Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Heck, they could run one of these a month for the "next" 10,000 orders. No one will ever know whether their paid-for ad went into 10,000 books. And is it 10,000 books or 10,000 titles? Because if it's the former, ten author-purchased orders of a 1000 books is less effective* than having the ad inside 10,000 different titles.

*for certain values of effective

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Is the new crop of writers smarter? That can't be answered.

More likely the truth about PublishAmerica is reaching critical mass. It's getting out to more writers in the new crop than ever before. It's too late for PA to stop the natural reaction associated with information that's reached critical mass.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
By smarter, I mean they seem to be asking more and more what PA is doing to promote their books. Maybe more savvy about publishing is a better term. We've seen an increase in those types of posting on the PAMB. So PA is throwing something their way they hope will appease them. Hoping, of course, that the authors are too clueless to get it. And we've already seen how some of them have reacted to the auction.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I wonder if the ads in the backs of books (paid for by the authors even though they came at no expense to PA) will be mostly ads for PA itself, like the NYT ads were, and like the press releases and letters to family and friends are?

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
It's like placing an ad on the sticky side of a postage stamp. ")

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Hey, PA authors! You can bid on a chance to have me write the name of your book on a sidewalk near my house with chalk!

I'm a former PA author. Does that count?

I bid a buck, but you have to have photo proof of such, you have to be facing the south with a north-bound wind, naked, and whistling Dixie. Let me know if I win...

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
$1.04: naked for five minutes, clothed for five. Just don't post the video on YouTube!

$1.05 Naked, live on YouTube.

One more thing. I was on the PA messageboards looking for what their authors were saying about the auction, but I couldn't find anything. I did however come across a woman selling advertising space. I wonder if she works for PA, or just giving them their cut. But this is something she said on her profile.

Unscrambled Eggs
By Nadia Brown
ISBN #1-4137-8169-1
Synopsis:
Profound and riveting, this is a 60 poem book collection with poetry that enlightens, speaks the way
of life and the world. The poems from Unscrambled Eggs have a universal appeal, and are true to
life in form. Unscrambled Eggs was written over a five year period and is an honest and thought
provoking book that deals with everyday life issues. It is a stirring compilation of poems about living
your dream and finding one's purpose.

SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
(in print & online)
. American Chronicles
. Lily Literary Review
. Absolute Write -****
. Poems Niederngasse
. AMAG, Inc./Awareness Magazine
. All Things Girl
. Poetry Super Highway
. Wicked Alice
. Snow Monkey
. Public Opinion Pros
. The National Ledger
. The American Daily
. The Post Chronicle
. Beyond Chron
. Political Affairs Magazine
. The HinzSight Report
. HNN Huntington News

Anybody know her?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Anybody know her?

She's a member of AW and uses it to promote her one book of poetry and to promote her marketing site.

Her online AW "publication" consists of a poem she posted in the poetry forum. Not my interpretation of published. But hey... whatever blows air up your skirt.;)

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
She's using Absolute Write as a publication credit? ?!?!?

Yes, I just edited and added this to my last post.

Her online AW "publication" consists of a poem she posted in the poetry forum. Not my interpretation of published. But hey... whatever blows air up your skirt.

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score

So Jersey Chick how are these publishing company's you're using?

Samhain Publishing & The Wild Rose Press.

Do they charge, or is it free? Do they promote and market?

Hey Marie. Just doing a little window shopping.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Not Jersey, but I'm also with Samhain

a) Of course they're free. They're an actual publisher.
b) Yes, they promote and market. They have an actual marketing person. They buy adspace in appropriate magazines, mail brochures about their books to indy bookstores, AND they have a distributor - meaning salespeople and catalogs and everything. And they advertise their books in the backs of their other books - appropriate to genre and free.
c) (you didn't ask, but I'm telling you) You can usually find at least some of their titles on bookstore shelves.

I don't know about TWRP. I'll let her tell it.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Christine pretty much nailed it with Samhain :D so I'll tackle TWRP -

1.) They do not charge anything. They meet RWA's standards for non-vanity/non-subsidy publishers.

2.) As for promoting and marketing, yes, they do this but they seem to be concentrating on the ebook market, as opposed to print, right now. When I signed last year, they were (supposedly) trying to work something out with Borders or B&N (I can't remember which right now) for placement, but last I heard, this was a no-go. I'm satisfied enough with them, but don't know that I'll submit to them again. I signed with the understanding that they were trying to break into the print market, a la Samhain. My sales with them aren't bad, but I don't want to remain in the electronic realm only.

I'm very happy with Samhain, though. Every time I'm in my local B&N, I see more and more of their titles on the shelves. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.