Freelancing With Full-Time Writing Job

Audrey Perkins

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a full-time writer for a trade publication. My dream is to be a full-time freelance writer. At this point I don't have the finances or experience to just quit my job and dive straight into freelance writing, but I'm struggling to get started freelancing with my full-time job. Primarily because of my lack of free time during the week.

While I usually have plenty of time on the weekend to write, research, and explore story ideas, I'm worried about getting interviews done during the week, particularly with experts. I simply can't interview an expert in the middle of the day, because that's when I'm working. I'm not even sure about during lunch, because my job has made it clear that they discourage (but can't forbid) freelance writing. Anyone ever run into this problem with a full-time job? Has anyone ever interviewed an expert over the weekend or outside of typical office hours? I've never done this as a freelancer or in my full-time job, so I'm concerned that if I needed to interview an expert for a piece (which, let's face it, a LOT of articles require expert sources) I won't be able to make it happen.

I'm wondering if it'd be better to get into copywriting first, then when I've left this publication, I can get back into magazine writing. Good idea, bad idea?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are appreciated!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...my job has made it clear that they discourage (but can't forbid) freelance writing.
Ah, finally got to the point...

You'll have to settle this one on your own. I have never seen or heard of a full-time writing job that frowned on freelance work that did not compete with the hired work.

Jeff

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
The question is: Are you willing to risk your full-time job in order to build some freelance writing income?

Regarding the issue of interviews, have you tried doing e-mail interviews?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure some experts are willing to be interviewed off hours. I'd think that depends on the person. E-mail interviews are common too and can be managed at any time.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Audrey Perkins,

I just saw this and I know I'm a little behind on replying, but I'm in the same boat as you right now--trying to build up freelance writing clients before I quit my full-time gig. And I had the same apprehension about this very same question as you have. But I've been juggling both fairly successfully since last fall and honestly my lunch hour has been a big reason why. You say your job wouldn't like you freelancing. But why do you have to tell them exactly what you're doing with your lunch break? What I've started doing is scheduling interviews when I know I'll be at lunch, bringing my personal laptop with me and conducting phone interviews at a coffee shop near my office. Nobody's the wiser and I've got my expert interview done. Unless your full time gig is going to fire you if they find out (and it sounds like they won't, from what you said) it's not really their business. Just say you're going to lunch and head out for an hour. A lot of people use their lunch breaks to conduct personal business anyway.

As far as interviewing people outside of regular office hours, that hasn't turned out to be as much of a problem as I anticipated either. You'd be surprised how many people don't mind chatting in the evening, and a decent number of people I've interviewed for various assignments are in other time zones, so for them it's still regular office hours anyway. And if you absolutely can't find a time that works for both of you, there's always email interviews. No it's not ideal, but it's something. And I haven't had to do it that much.

Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought about writing for businesses, doing such things as annual reports, brochures, copy writing, etc.? If you can get in on a freelance basis, sign a deal to do whatever it is they need done, the pay can be tremendous with a big corporation.

Business clients are the "easiest" way to have a stable freelance career, and for the most part, the only experts you ever have to talk to are the ones you're essentially writing for.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure you can do both at the same time.
But it is a matter of choosing clients
and telling them about your current work schedules.
If they understand, then you can probably do both.
Somehow you have to choose between the two
cause you can't serve two masters at the same time.
Mainly because you have to produce quality.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You certainly can have two masters so long as they do not have conflicting needs. If your main job is basically asking you to keep it separate and out of their way it pays to use a different name and write in a distinctly difference subject areas when freelancing, to avoid potential conflicts.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I freelanced for US publication from India for 12+ years. Many of my articles required interviewing US sources and talking to them over the phone and I did almost all of that off hours. Most people are absolutely cool with that.

I usually like to give sources a few different time slots that they can then choose from. If they pick a time that is unsuitable for me, I'll usually just say, "Sorry, that won't work for me. How about this instead?" It sometimes takes a bit of to and fro but it's never really been an issue.

Hope that helps!