How do I begin?

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Hey guys.

Lately, I've come to realize that I may never land a job, and because of this I will always feel like a pile of useless goo.

For a quick introduction, I am diagnosed with Bipolar II and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. These effect my work, even though I am medicated. Sometimes the BP II gets the best of me, and I am not people friendly. Sometimes I get depressed and don't wish to "smile" for customers or do anything. PTSD gives me terrible anxiety, and makes me extremely paranoid.

I have had two interviews in the past month or so. That's probably not a lot. One was for a gaming store, which I thought would be easy. Nope. I kept looking at something above the guy, or twiddling my thumbs instead. No confidence. The other was for a department store. I said "I don't know" to a lot of her questions. Again, I kept playing with my thumbs.

Anxiety keeps me from passing interviews to get a job.

Let's also not forget that I have physical pain that prevents me from standing for long periods of time, or even bending or kneeling. Strangely, only my left foot and left hip are effected. Yes, I have a bad back as well. I think this all stems from being overweight. Of course...

Depression keeps me from getting up to exercise.

Lately, I've been furiously writing my fantasy novel. I don't expect to sell many copies, and I don't expect to make much money.

My boyfriend and I have been dealing financial issues. Not major ones, but I feel awful. After all, while he works 5 days a week, full 8 hours day, and often goes back on the weekends for calls, I do nothing to help him except chores.

On to the point of this thread. I was thinking of starting freelance writing. I know the money is not great, but anything is totally better than nothing, right?

*points to thread title* "How do I begin?"

Should I make a list of topics I would be interested in? Is freelance writing mostly non-fiction, or is there some fiction involved?

Any tips? Thanks!

Unhappy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Lately, I've come to realize that I may never land a job, and because of this I will always feel like a pile of useless goo.

For a quick introduction, I am diagnosed with Bipolar II and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. These effect my work, even though I am medicated. Sometimes the BP II gets the best of me, and I am not people friendly. Sometimes I get depressed and don't wish to "smile" for customers or do anything. PTSD gives me terrible anxiety, and makes me extremely paranoid.

I have had two interviews in the past month or so. That's probably not a lot. One was for a gaming store, which I thought would be easy. Nope. I kept looking at something above the guy, or twiddling my thumbs instead. No confidence. The other was for a department store. I said "I don't know" to a lot of her questions. Again, I kept playing with my thumbs.

Anxiety keeps me from passing interviews to get a job.

Let's also not forget that I have physical pain that prevents me from standing for long periods of time, or even bending or kneeling. Strangely, only my left foot and left hip are effected. Yes, I have a bad back as well. I think this all stems from being overweight. Of course...

Depression keeps me from getting up to exercise.

Lately, I've been furiously writing my fantasy novel. I don't expect to sell many copies, and I don't expect to make much money.

My boyfriend and I have been dealing financial issues. Not major ones, but I feel awful. After all, while he works 5 days a week, full 8 hours day, and often goes back on the weekends for calls, I do nothing to help him except chores.

On to the point of this thread. I was thinking of starting freelance writing. I know the money is not great, but anything is totally better than nothing, right?

*points to thread title* "How do I begin?"

Should I make a list of topics I would be interested in? Is freelance writing mostly non-fiction, or is there some fiction involved?

Any tips? Thanks!

Hi,
I'm really sorry for you. Just believe in yourself as often as you can and as much as you can.

It depends what you mean by 'freelance writing'. As a freelance journalist, I can tell you that the Web has made freelancing almost non-existent as even the most insignificant publication (newspaper or magazine) has a website and publishes its 'scoops' the moment it has gone out in print.

You must really be the only one to have a story (a scoop) to sell it to a newspaper or magazine. To rewrite something from the Web does not work.

Another thing is that if you are reporting some event, it must be 100% factual with absolutely nothing fictional (made up) in it.

Best of luck.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
With the internet opening up business across the word, basic 'writing for hire' jobs now pay very small amounts. You need to focus on any areas where you have special skills, experience or qualifications. Then research those markets and send pitched or submissions. These may then develop into regular gigs. That's my advice anyway. Most of the open forums for jobs are clogged up with dirt cheap content writing work.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Do you have an area of expertise, or specialized knowledge on a subject? That would be the best way to get started. Find out which magazines or publications cover those areas and start contacting them. It does help to build up a portfolio before, though, even if it's writing that you've done for free.

Writing for content sites is another way to get started (see the subforum) but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to make any money.

ETA: Oops...simultaneous post with veinglory.

Last edited:

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
You could join a freelancing website such as Elance, Odesk, or Guru. I worked as a freelancer on Elance for a short while, mostly doing fiction ghostwriting and outlining. There always seemed to be a demand for romance/erotic ghostwriters, but the pay is extremely low - often as little as $.01/word or less, which is a laughable rate. But hey, it's money, and I was still making $800 a month doing it.

As far as Elance goes, it's pretty easy to set up a freelancer account. List your services, rates, and experience/credentials. Upload a profile picture. Get verified (though not essential). Take a couple of skill tests. Fill out your portfolio. And finally, perfect your proposals.

On sites like Elance, freelancers all have equal opportunity to bid on job postings. I found success through personalizing my proposals as much as possible and always included at least two relevant fiction samples.

Just be warned, there's precious little protection for the freelancer on these kinds of sites. Never start working on a project unless escrow has been funded and try to negotiate milestones or hourly payment instead of one lump sum at the end.

Splodge

Registered
Reaction score
If you feel comfortable about it, you could write about living with BP II and PTSD, check out health magazines and pitch interesting articles to the editors. Make the things that you feel hold you back work for you, while raising some awareness and making some money �� worth a go, but as I say, only if you're comfortable with it.
Otherwise, what other people said. Good luck and believe in yourself ��

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The money in freelance writing can be very, very good, if you have the talent and skill to write for good markets. Ignore the content sites, and all the writers who try to draw you into write for them. This is too often a trap with no way out.

If you have special skills and knowledge in some area, yu start there. If not, you read magazines, learn how to write a good query letter, and start sending them out.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the advice everyone!

If you feel comfortable about it, you could write about living with BP II and PTSD, check out health magazines and pitch interesting articles to the editors. Make the things that you feel hold you back work for you, while raising some awareness and making some money �� worth a go, but as I say, only if you're comfortable with it.
Otherwise, what other people said. Good luck and believe in yourself ��

I like this idea! I was once considering the idea of creating an online journal, or just a blog, just for recording about how living with BP II and PTSD, and other aspects of myself. XD

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I also have bipolar disorder and PTSD, along with a host of other medical problems, both physical and mental. Technically, I'm disabled, though my husband makes too much money for me to qualify for disability. BTW, have you thought about applying for disability? It's a pain and a half, because they ALWAYS turn you down flat. You have to get a lawyer and appeal at least twice before they'll take you seriously, even if your disability is obvious. Just a thought.

Like you, for most of my life, I felt utterly worthless, because I couldn't attend college, I couldn't hold a job, I couldn't do anything with my life. It was awful! I felt like I had no identity, like I was a non-person, because I had no path in life. However, things changed when I was finally diagnosed with bipolar a few years ago and got on a medication that evened out my mood swings and allowed me to sleep at night. I also did a lot of work to start the healing process with my PTSD. I still have major issues, don't get me wrong! And my physical health problems are as bad as ever. But emotionally, things are improving.

About three years ago, I started my own business, teaching sewing classes. It's something I can do because it's in my own home, my students come to me. All I have to do is make sure the house is clean and I'm dressed when they show up. (Not always easy, but definitely better than having to go into work somewhere!) It helps that I can control how many students I teach at a time, so if I'm only up to teaching three times a week, I'll only accept three students. The rest can go on a waiting list.

I also write articles for an online trade journal, for which I get paid. I can write on my own time, at my own pace. I don't submit my article proposals until the articles are already written. That way I don't have to worry about writing against a deadline, which would be too stressful for me. I also write articles and tutorials for my students. That doesn't pay, of course, but I can put them on my website to attract new visitors and potential students.

Between the two jobs, I don't get paid enough to live on, but my husband supports us, so that isn't necessary. What I earn is my own money that I can spend as I like--buying my own clothes, paying for my own hobbies and entertainment, etc., which takes a little pressure off my husband.

I don't really have any advice, as far as how to get started with freelance writing. You just have to find your niche. Or you could try copywriting, which I'm told is more reliable. In any case, I wanted to let you know that it is possible for things to get better. I still get frustrated with my limitations, but I don't feel worthless anymore. I have an identity now, as a teacher and a writer. No one can take that from me!

(If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.)

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Orianna2000 said:

I have applied, yup! Yes, I was denied, however, they need medical evidence for my physical issues, and my boyfriend thinks doing that would be pointless since the doctors would be able to give me any diagnosis or paperwork on it, so he decided we should not appeal. *shrugs*

Orianna2000 said:
(If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.)
Oh, this sounds fun! :D

WeaselFire said:
Stop making excuses. Thousands of people with far worse disabilities have gainful employment, including working as freelance writers.

Did you know... EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT? *le gasp* Shocking, isn't it? WOW. Who would have guessed. Maybe, just maybe my disabilities are still BAD ENOUGH to not grant me hopeful entry to getting a job.

WeaselFire said:
After that, learn the difference between "effected" and "affected."

Hey, I made a mistake, like lot's of people. I guess you don't suppose people don't EDIT their work and read it over before submitting it, huh?

By the way, I type faster than my brain can process things, so sometimes I make all sorts of typos and spelling errors. It's kind of like when I talk! The words just spill out of my mouth, and end up making no sense. Plus, you have my speech impediment as well. Where really no one understands what I'm saying. ;_;

Everyone else, who's been uber helpful, thank you. ^__^

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Miss Strawberrii,

You've gotten some good advice above. I hope you can find a doctor who'll stand up for you so you can get disability. A blo or series of articles might help too.

Meanwhile, keep writing. Dream big for your novel. You never know.

It's also very important to look for ways to be productive and to find the proper treatments and therapies for yourself.

Since luck never hurts, good luck too. I hope you find some great markets for your personal essays and articles. Some of the women's mags take essays on personal experiences. You might even look for Chicken Soup for the Soul type publications if you can find some uplifting portions of your personal story.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Freelance writing is a great job.
You are on your own though with a computer
But there are people around online.
You always have a freehand on what to write
Be it ghostwriting, writing a novel or an e-book.
Yes ... it can be frustrating when it comes to income.
But once you get the feel of it and turn it into a passion
You will be pleased with the results,
So good luck!