Last Movie You Watched...

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Painted Skin: The Resurrection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwoS-O2idNM

I really liked it. Missed some of the subtitles, though, so I will have to watch it again.

It's on Netflix, but they don't have the first movie. The first one is the one I was trying to find. If the sequel is any indication, I'll be very happy with the first one.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
(I'm at work, so my research options are nil) Is the first one the movie where the princess makes a bargain with a demon? Time Warner might have it On Demand still. I think they had it last month.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
The princess in the second movie makes a deal with the demon. I don't know if there is a princess in the first movie.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll have to look. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The Black Cat, the Edgar Ulmer version from 1934 with Karloff and Lugosi. You never see blood--at all--but this movie always gave me the creeps. Weird picture...but Ulmer was, for me, one of the finest Expressionists in the business. If they ever made a bio, Eugene Levy would be the perfect choice to play him.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I LOVE that movie! If my Latin were better, I'd be able to confirm that Karloff is reciting a recipe (or making a comment on the silliness of it all) for his devil-worship ceremony. His first words are "Cum grano salis"--"With a grain of salt."

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Master and Commander. I liked that it wasn't a clear happy or sad ending, but I didn't really love the movie.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Pool Boy: Drowning Out the Fury. Spoiler alert! This movie sucked ass.
Someone in Hollywood had a lot to hang over some somewhat reputable stars to get them in this film because I can't see this cast actually signing on to do this movie without a gun to their heads.

Do not see this movie unless you have brain damage, are high on mescaline, or tripping balls. Oh, or if you really like wasting your time on mindless drivel.

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a movie day with a good friend and we watched the new Robin Hood with Russell Crowe. Really amazing! Did not expect to like it so well (also reminded me that living in the late 1100s would not be a great idea :p)

We also rented the new Total Recall (not my idea). If I had seen it in theatres, it would've been the most expensive two hour nap I've ever taken.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Ended up watching Battleship on Netflix streaming in a spare of the moment decision and WOW. What a great action packed movie. I had no idea how great it would be. Kind of how I felt when I watched the Star Trek movie that came out a few years back. It was such a pleasant surprise. The first ten minutes had me laughing harder than I think any other movie beginning. But man, once the action kicked in it didn't stop. Great movie, great effects, great story (though the guy/girl love story felt a bit cliche).

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Ended up watching Battleship on Netflix streaming in a spare of the moment decision and WOW. What a great action packed movie. I had no idea how great it would be. Kind of how I felt when I watched the Star Trek movie that came out a few years back. It was such a pleasant surprise. The first ten minutes had me laughing harder than I think any other movie beginning. But man, once the action kicked in it didn't stop. Great movie, great effects, great story (though the guy/girl love story felt a bit cliche).
---

When it came out last year, my younger son (eight at the time) wanted to see it. Even HE thought it was boring. Granted, the drunken get-you-a-burrito scene was amusing by Kitsch, but between this film and John Carter, his career won't get anywhere at all.

Overall, the characterizations were poor, the acting so-so--does Liam Neeson need the money THAT badly?--and the aliens, oh, yeah, we had to toss in a disabled vet to help take them out, unconvincing.

The only clever part was how they figured out the alien's weakness. But seriously, Rihanna in that flick? She was terrible, the whole cast was just so-so--and I'm being generous--and Brooklyn Decker was gorgeous.

One star--only because the aliens got blowed up real good at the end.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, we have very different opinions on this one. I mean, come on. You don't watch these movies for Oscar-worthy performances. It was an action movie with lots of things blowing up and fighting and cool special effects with a good little mix of humor and intensity. The aliens reminded me a lot of the characters/costumes from Halo (which damn it...WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE THAT MOVIE???), but overall, I found it enjoyable. I guess my taste isn't as sophisticated as your 8 year old since even HE found it to be lame. :p I really liked it and wasn't bored for a second.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Skyfall, finally.

I wanted to like it more than I did. :( Too long, too predictable, and I honestly don't see why Bardem was hailed at the greatest Bond villain ever. I watch Bond movies for the mindless fun, but lately they're like the Director's Cut that shouldn't have been released.

I did enjoy the new Moneypenny. Hadn't seen her in anything since 28 Days Later. Wish she'd had a bigger part in Skyfall.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Watched Race to Witch Mountain for our family movie night with our kids. Very cute movie. We all enjoyed it. Then hubs and I watched Fast5. This was my hubs choice. I'm not a huge F&F fan where like I NEED to see them, but when I do watch them, I enjoy them. This movie probably had the most destruction I've ever seen. That vault scene at the end was hilariously sick. All in all it was an entertaining night with Dwayne Johnson. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, we have very different opinions on this one. I mean, come on. You don't watch these movies for Oscar-worthy performances. It was an action movie with lots of things blowing up and fighting and cool special effects with a good little mix of humor and intensity. The aliens reminded me a lot of the characters/costumes from Halo (which damn it...WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE THAT MOVIE???), but overall, I found it enjoyable. I guess my taste isn't as sophisticated as your 8 year old since even HE found it to be lame. :p I really liked it and wasn't bored for a second.
---

I guess our opinions do differ. No, I'm not expecting Shakespeare in the park ("Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?") but at the same time, I'd like to see the cast do a little more than just go through the motions.

Special effects are a given these days. Due to the advances of CGI, if a movie doesn't have those (a big budget one, I mean) then it's more or less a 'pass' in the eyes of the theater-goer. I like to watch stuff get blowed up real good same as the next person. But you still need a script.

I've seen movies which had clever lines, plot holes the size of Jupiter (betcha thought I was gonna say Uranus hehehehe...Beavis and Butthead moment:D) and everything in between, but the one thing a movie needs if it lacks in actors or budget is a decent script. Battleship had nothing except the Halo (you're right) lookalikes.

Agree to disagree on you with this flick. It's Saturday night in Osaka which means a good katsudon dinner with my wife and children, watching Spiderman (the Sam Raimi version) with my younger boy, and then working on my latest novel. Have a good one!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Great, now I'm going to have to watch Battleship...:rolleyes:

Last movie watched was Spirited Away.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Great, now I'm going to have to watch Battleship...:rolleyes:

Last movie watched was Spirited Away.
---

If you're into Ghibli's stuff, Majo no Takkyubin is still the cream of the crop. Spirited Away I liked, but it was a little too over the top. Same deal with Howl's Moving Castle although I enjoyed it. (I watched the Japanese versions only).

Treated myself to Hitchcock. It was quite a lot of fun. Anthony Hopkins doesn't really physically resemble the real AH, but he does get that dry inflection down pat along with the pregnant pauses. The whole cast is good, and the script takes some rather delightful twists and turns along the way.

Bonus points for Michael Wincott, an actor who always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. He is excellent in this.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A Good Day To Die Hard. Not as good as the other Die Hard movies, but the action was great, especially the car chase near the beginning.