Cutting away from the MCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I have two chapters that cut way from the MCs. Is that a no-no?

The first part my WIP is set on an infant colony world. About half-way through an ancient enemy shows up and destroys the MC's home, forcing him to flee. It ends with his father sacrificing himself so he can escape to a secret refuge.

Then I do a short chapter, kind of a montage really, that shows the enemy launching a surprise attacks all over human space.

Then we are back to the MCs a year later. (They were rescued by a passing ship and are just finishing a year's journey in hyperspace back to their home.)

This helps me with a few things, IMHO. First, it establishes the epic stakes involved and conveys the progress of the war via events with a human face rather than by after-the-fact dialogue. Second, it gives the reader a sense of a "break" and lets me skip over the better part of a year's journey in hyperspace. Three, it builds suspense. You are left wondering what happened to the marooned MC. Plus, the interlude chapter ends with the admiral of the defeated humans questioning his decision regarding the alien's next target (where he has chosen to retreat to, with the idea of reinforcing the forces there)--which just happens to be the MC's destination. So (hopefully) the reader is nervous about what awaits the MCs when they finally arrive. Fourth, I convey an important piece of information that the MC can't know, but will need later to save the day, and I don't want to seem like a deus ex machina.

In the last third of the story, the MCs are retreating (again. Things aren't going well.) to another world. (month's journey) and I cut to a key political event on their destination world, Dresden. The chancellor of Dresden is committing treason by secretly negotiating a treaty with the enemy. Again, this chapter has a definite purpose. First, I finally put a face on a hitherto faceless enemy. Second, I intro the problem the challenge the MC is about to face, so the next chapter isn't so exposition heavy. Third, we learn a little about the enemy's motivations.

I feel fairly confident that both chapters work, but I'm afraid that the Gods of Writing (or worse, the other writers on this site) shall beat me on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of proper craft.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I've done this a few times in my current novel, cutting away from the main character to focus on another event. It's usually called dramatic irony when the audience is shown something the main character does not know, which is what usually these 'cut-aways' are meant to reveal, but in your case that is less so.

I think in yours it makes total sense to use it, but who knows, you may find later along the line it might break the flow of the plot a tad much and ruins the focus on the main character as the reader will want to know what is happening to them.

If you think it works, it must work :p ha

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to add a POV character in the enemy.

You can do a character break, problem lies in how much the reader wants to read that, versus following your MC more.
The reader wants to read about the character, more than the action scenes. If you add a character in the enemy scenes, one that the reader will worry about, then it becomes more relevant.

But, as long as it's short, it's fine.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. Are talking about starting with the MC's POV, then switching to omni, then back again? That would seem a little odd. Like Willsauger said, I think you need a POV character for the scenes where the MC is elsewhere.

Oh well, odds are that someone will jump in here and say: Oh Arthur Author did that in his first best-seller. :)

Amory

May the odds be EVER in my favor.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pucktheperv.livejournal.com
I have actually seen this done well before. If you do it smoothly, and perhaps with a hint of mystery, I think you can switch smoothly from limited to omni back to limited. But doing it more than once may mean you should get a limited POV instead of an omni in the break away from the MC. Without seeing, though, it's hard to know if it flows. If it feels right, stick with it. It doesn't matter what the Gods of Writing say--some of the best writers out there snub the rules completely. It may be more difficult to write, but if you do it very well then it might be very powerful.

sprogspasser

Registered
Reaction score
The one time I've seen this done (sorry can't remember the book) the two 'montage' chapters were not numbered and crucially one page long only. It worked for me. Did not spoil the pleasure. I don't think it would have worked if these chapters had been more than a page long. This one page just appeared at the end of one chapter and before the start of the next one.

GiantRampagingPencil

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. I'll leave them in for now, but tighten up their length. Then see what the beta readers say.

GiantRampagingPencil

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. Are talking about starting with the MC's POV, then switching to omni, then back again? That would seem a little odd. Like Willsauger said, I think you need a POV character for the scenes where the MC is elsewhere.

Oh well, odds are that someone will jump in here and say: Oh Arthur Author did that in his first best-seller. :)

I have POV character at all times. I have a POV character for each of the worlds destroyed. In the other, it's the traitorous Chancellor, followed by his secretary fleeing with the information of his betrayal.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like it could work to me. Just make sure these cutaway scenes are essential to the plot. If done well, they'll fit naturally. In my current WIP, I have a main character I cut away from quite often. There are two separate storylines.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
seems commonplace to me

Maybe its just me. I grew up on science fiction, wearing out three libraries.

Cutting away just seems normal, especially in a space epic. Even more so with aliens. Can't really cut to an alien mind and show what's going on, not in a few short pages.

In disaster epics this is very common. Cut to the meteor coming to the earth, or the solar flare, or underground to an earthquake. Omni, impersonal. No other way to do it. The contrast between the implacable disaster and the human reaction can work very well.

I wouldn't even blink an eye. Just do it well, and don't bore us.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I have POV character at all times. I have a POV character for each of the worlds destroyed. In the other, it's the traitorous Chancellor, followed by his secretary fleeing with the information of his betrayal.
Then you have no problem. Get on with the writing and cease worrying. :D

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, if sci-fi and big stakes, cut away if you can. Particularly in large-scale conflicts, cut-away makes the 'show the scope' parts much easier.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I have two chapters that cut way from the MCs. Is that a no-no? ...
I feel fairly confident that both chapters work, but I'm afraid that the Gods of Writing (or worse, the other writers on this site) shall beat me on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of proper craft.

Telling you right now, you're not going to like my answer.

I see a big red flag in your plan. It's never just a question of how a chapter works on its own, but rather how it works in support of the whole. In the instance you describe, it sounds to me that it would disrupt the tacit compact you made with readers who begin the story expecting to see it through the eyes of your MC or MC's--which, in turn, would wake them at least temporarily from the fictive world you've lured them into. There might be other ways of getting across the information you want to convey---another POV character, maybe, who's in a position to see the larger picture? Not that that's an ideal solution either.

It's also a question of POV. Do you use third-person limited, toggling between multiple POV characters, or do you establish a true omniscient voice from the onset of the story? In the latter case, cutting away from the MC's for an overall view might actually work. Think WAR AND PEACE.

ZBasin20

Writing. Poorly.
Registered
Reaction score
I never mind changes in voice/style/montage moments as long as they fit this one simple criteria: It is consistent with the POV "voice". Otherwise, as a reader, I get pulled away and have a hard time getting back into the work.

But, as a disclaimer, I'm probably nutso about it. There was a show called "The River" that was on ABC last year that I decided to give a try. Half of the show was "found footage" and the other half was your traditional camera work. THIS DROVE ME CRAZY! Maybe I'm a little overly legalistic in the matter, but as a viewer, I spend half the show figuring out how it could be done so I could continue to suspend my disbelief.

That makes me nuts, right?

The way you describe it seems fine. Don't be afraid to experiment with it as well - it might be, judging by the scale of your work, that every few chapters or so, you find yourself adding these "omniscient updates". All of the sudden, you have a new stylistic element that your audience reader and even looks forward to.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.