Question about series/saga etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, writers! Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but here it goes.

I'm currently writing a series of books, but each are not in chronological order.

The series is called 'Of Fruit and Steel' and the first novel is actually the second/possibly third of the series.

How do I get around numbering it 'Volume 1' or 'Part one', when really it's not?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm tempted to tell you to go the Star Wars route, but that is probably not very good advice. :tongue So I would say write the first one, call it the first one, and wait and publish this as the third. Not a terribly creative answer, but...:Shrug:

That or find some way to call it a prequel?

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about labeling it at this point. Once you have a publisher interested, you can discuss this with your editor.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I'm tempted to tell you to go the Star Wars route, but that is probably not very good advice. :tongue So I would say write the first one, call it the first one, and wait and publish this as the third. Not a terribly creative answer, but...:Shrug:

That or find some way to call it a prequel?

See, I was thinking that, but the third one sets up the enigma of the story so much better than me actually explaining it in the first novel straightaway, if you understand.

But yeah haha the Star Wars films are changing every year :p who knows there could be a 4, 5 and 6 and the old trilogy will become 7, 8 and 9.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
See, I was thinking that, but the third one sets up the enigma of the story so much better than me actually explaining it in the first novel straightaway, if you understand.

Hmm...it's a bit hard to judge without reading it, but it sounds like you could either go the prequel route or just make it the first. Does this one happen after events in the hypothetical first book have taken place?

But yeah haha the Star Wars films are changing every year :p who knows there could be a 4, 5 and 6 and the old trilogy will become 7, 8 and 9.

At this point, I can't even remember which one was the "first".;) George Lucas needs to let it lie.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you simply writing the series out of order (whihc is fine, and happens, because sometimes you realise when writing that there's a story before this one) or are you intending to publish them put of order as well? Because unless the stories within the individual novels are VERY stand-alone I can't see that being much of a success - people may very well find it confusing and irritating.

The best thing to do, if you are writing these out of order is to number it 1 and number the other as a prequel. Or to wait till they're all done and number them in the right order.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you simply writing the series out of order (whihc is fine, and happens, because sometimes you realise when writing that there's a story before this one) or are you intending to publish them put of order as well? Because unless the stories within the individual novels are VERY stand-alone I can't see that being much of a success - people may very well find it confusing and irritating.

The best thing to do, if you are writing these out of order is to number it 1 and number the other as a prequel. Or to wait till they're all done and number them in the right order.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

But, it's hard to explain in text at the moment, but yes, the one I have almost-ready for editing/publication is the first of the series, but set after the events of a story before it (a prequel). It would be like if JK Rowling went back and added in another Harry Potter before the Philosopher's Stone. It's still part of the series, but it's not book 8.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about labeling it at this point. Once you have a publisher interested, you can discuss this with your editor.

Yeah, I may just have to haha.

Thank you for the comments everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.