Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, again. Family. Whaddaya gonna' do (how's that for slaughtering language?)?

Here's what works for me. Just smile knowingly and nod with confidence. If they press you, say "I've got a plan." Firm and it says absolutely nothing. If you master this, you've a future in politics.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for getting back your book! What is a content editor? Is that the same thing as an editor? Did she have a lot of suggestions for you? When do we get to see a cover? Gah. I love covers. I am also crucially pick about them lately too. Of course if I ever get a book deal I will suck it up about my book cover.

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Crap! Kinda' forgot what the point of the board was for a moment.

Progress! Just got my book back from my content editor! Movement! Is good! She said she loved it.

Now, I gotta' go through the damn thing. Again. I'm so WAY sick of this book. Yes, it's my first-born, but damn, kid, move outta' the house already.

I finished up one of my rounds of content edits last week -- got bored and decided to take a look at the book as it stands after not having seen/just read it in a week - I was surprised. And pleased. ;) So hang in there. It's worth it. :D

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, P.D. I'll try and hang in there, but I'm to the point where if you love something, set it free (or whatever it was Sting sang). I love my first book. I do. But I'm also ready to bury it. Okay, so self-promotion's not my strong suit.

Smiley, no cover yet. I'll post it when it's up. I'm just hoping it doesn't end up looking like some Harlequin romance deal with impossibly muscular, red-eyed, Fabio-like vampire dudes with no shirts peering at you. I'll be seriously miffed. You hear me? MIFFED(I can be threatening, yeah?)!

Content editor is the person who deems whether or not what you've written is good or bad or redundant. I haven't yet read her comments, but I sorta "know" her already from email exchanges and like her. So I'm not too terrified (i.e., the cover).

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
They say 10 years is the average for writers to learn the craft and get published. Anything less is going against the norm and I tip my hat to people able to do that.

I do understand a quick acquisition. I submitted "Divided Moon" to four people before I got a contract, and I signed the first contract I got (although I had it expertly examined). Sometimes I wonder if I should have held out for something more. "Divided Moon" will be an ebook and paperback, but mostly sold online. Does a YA audience buy books online? Teens don't have credit cards.

I am very slow. Even slower lately, since I have had writer's block during revisions. The hard revisions on my MG are over, now I am reading through it again to beef up details on setting, the main character's inner thoughts, dragging out tension....stuff like that.

I want to add 5,000 to 10,000 words, which may be contributing to the block. I don't know.

Anyways, I got over it tonight and added 790 words to this manuscript. Part of me wants to do the WriteCon thing (I don't even know the real NAME of this event), just because. This manuscript is not ready yet, but I get overly eager.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing this 'idea' 14 years ago, as different forms and different books over the years.

I wrote the first book in this series 4yrs ago, and then shelved it when no one wanted it.

I had never written this book before Christmas last year. Never written in first person either. And then I rewrote all the other books in the series, starting from scratch and shaping them around this book.

So it's been quite a process, getting used to deadlines, and stuff. :)

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone.

To those of you planning to do Writeon Con, I wish you the best of luck. I'd join, but if I remember correctly, it's not really open to erotica...I forget (and now I have to go and look).

Today at some point I really need to work on this blurb/query for the piece I finished last week. I've written dozens over the last three years, but I'm sure this is one thing about being an author that I will always hate.

Hope everyone's weekend is a good one.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I've been "writing" for more than a decade but seriously writing for only 4 years. I think it takes everyone different time to get their writing on:)

WriteOnCon is mainly for kidlit (childrens/YA) but I know there is an "other" section, E.S. Maybe post your query or first 250 there? There have been adult lit/"NA" lit posted there. (And Netz, thank you so much for the crit. Wherever you are on here :)) *I'm so nervous for tomorrow!*

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I've been "writing" for more than a decade but seriously writing for only 4 years. I think it takes everyone different time to get their writing on:)

WriteOnCon is mainly for kidlit (childrens/YA) but I know there is an "other" section, E.S. Maybe post your query or first 250 there? There have been adult lit/"NA" lit posted there. (And Netz, thank you so much for the crit. Wherever you are on here :)) *I'm so nervous for tomorrow!*

No probs! :D I'm trying to crit all the AWers I can find. Just remembered that I read your first 5 pages earlier too and was going to post a comment, so I'll head over there and do that now, lol.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Smiley. I don't know if I'll have my query ready in time, even though I think I could use some help.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Just a reminder: Agent-judged pitch contest on my blog on the 20th and 21st. I'll announce the agent later this week. It's a 3-sentence pitch. More details on my blog. :)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys :)

I just got back from a weekend away. It was pretty fun :)

I'm considering posting my first 250 words of both my WIPs at WriteOn Con. I was not going to since they're not done, but now I figure, what's the harm. Going to look over both openings and try to decide. I might need some encouragement to be brave ;)

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Be Braaaaaave, Kewii!! I've actually gotten decent feedback over there. :)

JB, yay for getting words down! :cool:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I went to Windsor for a friend's bachelorette party :)

And I will try to be brave like you, Smiley. I just want to give it another look over before I do it.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Kelly! :D

*sa-woon* That moment when you get beta notes from a stranger (okay, well I asked them to take a look:roll:) and they are so on target it's not even funny. Also, I have a huge problem with "toward" vs "towards".:Hug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.