Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
I dropped in to check on how the old people were doing, and saw this post:

:hooray: Congrats Mel!!!!!! :partyguy:

I thought it said "Congrats ME", and I couldn't figure out why nobody was acknowledging Stiger's accomplishment. Then I reread and realized that last letter is an "L", not an exclamation point. Sure glad I didn't post "Congratulations, Stiger!" That would have been embarrassing. :D

Anyway, congrats to those who deserve it, and to those who don't, I'm sure your day will come. ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score

I thought it said "Congrats ME", and I couldn't figure out why nobody was acknowledging Stiger's accomplishment. Then I reread and realized that last letter is an "L", not an exclamation point. Sure glad I didn't post "Congratulations, Stiger!" That would have been embarrassing. :D

Anyway, congrats to those who deserve it, and to those who don't, I'm sure your day will come. ;)

Actually, Stiger deserves a HUGE congrats. She haz agent! And a really good one too!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Bing, did you get another Camry? I love ours. We've had Ol' Reliable for 7 years now.

Well, you have your Camry for another 7 years and you'll, you know, want to try somethin' new ^_^. So I have a Subaru Forester for a change. Helps when we get snow, too.

I'm not a turkeyz fan and I prefer the stuffing and sides, yeah, ham is fine. Anything but the poor turkeyz. Lordz haz mercyz on turkeyz.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score

:roll: It didn't hit me until I saw this, but you're right, "L" blends with the exclamation points. Lol.

Yay! Congrats, Stiger! :hooray:

Thanks!!

I could just eat a heaping plate of stuffing for thanksgiving and be very happy. For realz.

We don't have stuffing in the South, we've got dressing ("dressin'"). I had stuffing once when visiting my hubby's family in Oklahoma. From what I can gather, dressing is more moist. Regardless, it's delicious and I concur, I could feast on nothing but dressing and be absolutely content!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

Abdulla is reportedly healthy (I didn't get to meet him yet), but I did go for a Reception to see the mother. It was an interesting custom, to say the least :)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I just practically removed a whole cat's worth of fur from my keyboard at work. No idea how that much fur got there. I feel like I'm pollinating the world with my cats!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hey guys sorry its been radio silence on my end. Did some publishing stuff this week (informal interviews & all).

Congrats to all who need it :D :snoopy: and have a happy healthy Thanksgiving :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm giving Thanks on Friday. Working a full day tomorrow. Oh, which reminds me. I'm trying to decide whether to watch ALL the shows at work the next three days or to buy a new audiobook. I'm rebelling against the "no audiobook or headphones" rule because it's ridiculous and I'm working alone.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wishing everyone and their loved ones a very happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate. For everyone else, hope you have a wonderful, full of happiness and lots of NaNo words (of you're NaNoing) Thursday ;)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Ha,ha. I have to get up bright and early to cook Thanksgiving feast for my crew, although it is just my immediate family.

Husband has already announced he will be sleeping in. He said he won't sleep in until noon, but "at least until 9 or 10" since he has to work Thanksgiving night.

Um, yeah. He ALWAYS sleeps until 11 or later on regular days off. I am going to have to rouse him to eat lunch, then he will take a nap before taking off to work.

The kids are wearing pajama pants and hoping not to get out of them for five days of vacation. I hope I don't go crazy in the meantime. Hello, Thanksgiving. I love your eats, not the drama.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've cried like three times today (but one was over a Glee ep I was listening to, and I knew that would happen). I think I really wanted to go home for Thanksgiving this year and just didn't realize it until today

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Lends e-shoulder to Sage. Disclaimer: wear and tear esp those caused by bite marks are subject to a $987 refurbishing fee and late returns are subject to a 23137% APR interest.

Sometimes kinda sucks if one works in service or retail industries. I was talking to a Walgreen cashier the other day and she said she had to work on Thanksgiving but it's okay since she was granted Xmas/NY off and also that's how it works in retail business.

I'm also surprise you can work while listening to podcast/a-books (in terms of brain multitasking). I listen to Grammar Girl podcast while doing my walk exercise and I know what she's talking about, but I have no clue what Paula B is talking while I'm working at my computer. Typical audio books are too expensive for me to try out, and the $30/month audiobooks.com plan is equally unaffordable so I'm not sure if I'll ever try these voice books.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually adhered to the letter of the rule. I didn't listen to audiobooks. I listened to West Wing episodes, and I didn't listen to them with headphones (which I think is the most ridiculous part of the rule), I just listened to my iPhone with the sound turned all the way up while the iPhone sat in my lab coat pocket :tongue

Whether I can pay attention to something with a narrative while I work depends on what I'm doing. If I'm trying to write or read, my brain can't process the two narratives at once, but if I'm weighing salts (which is half the time me sitting there waiting on the scale anyway) or searching through debris for bugs or counting fish or pouring water into beakers or taking chemistry measurements or cleaning the lab or filtering water, etc., I can absolutely do the two things at once.

If someone's talking to me--highly encouraged for the same task where they said "no headphones, no audiobooks" so that we stay alert(!)--I have to focus on what they are saying and simultaneously think of a response, give that response, and don't get me started on how I tend to talk with my hands. It's way more distracting than an audiobook or tv episode. If I listen to something with a storyline, I'll just listen to that and work, and those are the only two things I concentrate on. If I don't, I'll work, listen to the radio (straining to hear over other noises in the room because I work in a loud lab and people play the radio quietly, but my brain is drawn to music), listen to what other people are talking about, and have an argument in my head with someone (or plot or replay in my mind the same things I would have been listening to anyway). Audiobooks or TV eps are way less distracting to me, particularly with...headphones.

I started with cheaper audiobooks, and I consider each one hard before I buy it, including previewing it on iTunes or audible. Right now I'm stuck on buying my usual ones (Dresden Files) because the next book in the series happens to be one I own in book form, so I won't pay the money for the audiobook, no matter how good they are. But I started listening to them because I was staring into a microscope, picking through debris for bugs, and could not stop thinking about the novel I was querying and the status of my e-mail (which I couldn't get at the time). It took my mind off of it, and served as a smaller distraction in the end than the query obsession.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

I've crossed the 40,000 barrier in NaNo! Yeah, I'm thankful I have less than 9,000 words to go ;)

Question for the other teachers: Have any of you ever used Class Dojo with your kids?

I'm thinking about testing it out, but I'm worried about my kids getting bored with it quickly and I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend :) I'm trying too, even though my school decided I need to work tomorrow (boo!)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, I don't even know what that is. What grade/age do you teach?

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I teach 6 and 7.

Class Dojo is basically a website to track behaviour. You can give points and take points away from kids. I'm not as focused on that part, the part I really like is that it gives a graph that kids and parents can see, so both of them can see what the kids are doing well, and what the issues are (i.e being late, forgetting homework etc).

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Late to the party, but Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Black Friday is everything I despise (shopping, crowds, mean people) rolled into one, so I'll be home today putting up my Christmas decorations and reading while Hubby shops online. How are the rest of you today?

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, I use classdojo with my year 9s (13/14) - I use the points mainly and usually just award them to praise, then they collect merits at the end of the term and I give sweets to the top students every week. It saves me a lot of time at the end of the lesson as I don't have to give merits every time, plus they get competitive about reaching the top!

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Stiger, I don't do the Black Friday thing either. I spent today reading and watching movies.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
We shopped on line today. Bought pretty much all of our girl's stuff. Got some great deals. No driving. No crowds. It was awesome. My kinda shopping.

Kewii, sounds like a cool program. Def a great way to show parents at conferences what's going on at a single glance.

Still eating Thanksgiving food. Must. Stop. I think tomorrow, re: of what is left, I'm tossing it in the garbage. Sounds terrible and God I hate throwing out food, but it will be the death of my weight loss.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
It's after Thanksgiving...can I start complaining now?

So I'm representing Kuwait in a rugby tournament next weekend. It's a big one, called Dubai 7s. All the international teams show up. Normally, to get into the country, I pay 15 KD (about $60 US). But because my residency expires in 5 and a half months, instead of six months, I had to get the visa that was 65 KD (about $220 US).

And there's a good chance no one will even notice I'm 5 and a half months. And the immigration would let me through (they have before), but if I get the one guy at the airline counter who wants to be the stickler, I'd be screwed.

So I had to suck it up and pay. Sucks to be me.

That, and my soccer team lost today. Bah...they're good, but they lack heart and I can't just teach them to want it. It's killing me because they have all the other skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.