Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
That is a lot of money, Kewii, for a two week difference in your residency. Ugh. Complain away.

I have avoided Black Friday shopping, except for online deals. I am expecting a lot of packages in the next couple weeks. Hope I get to them before the kids do.

Thinking about seeing Lincoln today. Anyone see that movie yet?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Sage: It's been too long since I last checked your profile I've forgotten about your job. A little strange you were required to work on Turkey Day. Got 1½ pay?

Kewii: You can't complain on this board. It's against the (hidden) user terms. What you can do, however, is call 1-900-BING (all major credit cards accepted, except AmEx, fees too high). A sorta Chris Hemsworth voice will guide you through the initial process, which takes about 2½ hours. The process is extremely pleasant and it's only 6.50 KD per min. You won't want to complain on anything else afterward--I guarantee it.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, anytime you have to spend money that seems totally unnecessary and unfair, there is fair enough reason to complain. It's a nice bit of money. Sorry. :(

Bing, haha. I might need to remember that number.

So, I'm off to see...BREAKING DAWN. Gah! Kill me. I mean, I've seen all the movies in the theater so I guess I have to see the last one. Surprisingly I'm not all that excited but I hear there is something very hot at the end. I also hear there are some major cheese scenes, but that's nothing new. I mean, come on. We're talking Twilight here LOL. I read all the books and really enjoyed them (except BD--though I was happy to see the movie was better than the book) but I'm so over the whole thing and anxious for it to be over. Now if I can just make it until The Mortal Instrument movie comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs around in circles screaming with glee and crying because it doesn't come out until next summer!!!!* Oh, and I hated the book The Host, but I think the movie will be very enjoyable and I'm excited about that one too.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me whine.

I'm (mostly) over it now. The good news is that they issued my visa within the day. It was actually crazy fast, so it's one less thing that I have to stress out about. I guess at least I'm lucky enough that I can afford to get the visa instead of having to cancel the trip.

Thanks Bing, I'll remember that number next time I need to complain :)

I have not seen or read anything Twilight. I have to admit, I am on those people who have stubbornly refused, claiming I won't like it. I should've given it a chance first, but I just can't. The idea of it makes me shudder ;)

And I haven't seen Lincoln either. But we don't watch a lot of new releases here. The movies tend to be censored, so we wait for it to come out as a rental on Apple TV.

heyheymse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi fellow Olds! Former middle school reading teacher here. And I have spent my time off of work this long weekend writing instead of spending money on stuff I don't need! I feel so virtuous.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Bing, I got off Monday and Tuesday instead, so I worked Thursday and part of Friday and today (today was kind of annoying, because I had a half day in the morning, but then had to go back for an evening task). No time and a half. Please, my boss's head would explode.

I saw Lincoln. It's not as much about Lincoln as it is about the passage of the 13th amendment. I probably would have been annoyed with the focus on politics a few years ago, but now that I've listened to West Wing over and over, I find political maneuvering more interesting (and understand it better too).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, hey hey :D Welcome.

Sooooooooooo....just saw BD and OMG!!!! It was so so so so much better that I ever imagined. I was pleasantly surprised. Love the entire ending. Wonderfully done. Thought the two BD movies were way better than the book.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mel, I haven't read TMI, but the trailer looked really good. I'm hoping to enjoy it because I haven't read them.

OTOH, I saw the trailer for Beautiful Creatures and was really disappointed. It's the first book that I've listened to as an audiobook that's coming out as a movie, and I feel like that's influencing my perceptions of the characters.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, y'all! Finally, FINALLY, back from Oklahoma. For God's sakes, Kansas never looked so good! I did learn the horrific "Black Friday" is the same no matter how redneck you are (and that actually adds to the cray-cray factor. See my blog if you're really interested in more of my dumb ruminations).

Okay, let's see...

Mel! Dammit, girl, quit seeing Twilight movies. I swan. I'm gonna' have to strip you of your horror viewing film credibility if you keep it up.

Kewii! Whine, girl, whine like the wind! That's what we're here for. Better than Dr. Phil, cheaper than therapists, you guys have helped me through a LOT just by cybernetically listening to my rants and raves. Go! (But your hour's started, so get chattin').

Sage! Did I misunderstand? Do you listen to eps of The West Wing while writing? How in the world can you do that? It's one of the most literate, fast-talkin', fast-walkin' shows ever! I mean, it's nothing to look at, but I'd think it'd be too distracting. (And did you like "The Newsroom" on HBO?).

Heyheymse! Welcome!

Stiger and JK! MUCH hatred on Black Friday. Much. It's so strange the Mighty Marketeers names it like some sorta' bad, satanic horror film, isn't it?

What else did I miss? How're everyone's NaNo projects going?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sage! Did I misunderstand? Do you listen to eps of The West Wing while writing? How in the world can you do that? It's one of the most literate, fast-talkin', fast-walkin' shows ever! I mean, it's nothing to look at, but I'd think it'd be too distracting. (And did you like "The Newsroom" on HBO?)
Not while writing. Never while writing. That's when I can't listen to stuff with words. While doing tasks that don't require my full brain, mostly lab stuff or working out.

Unfortunately, I never saw Newsroom. I've never had HBO (and now I don't have any TV except what I get from Hulu)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Sage! I'm glad to hear it! It was my muddled brain that was, um, muddled. Aaron Sorkin's rat-a-tat-tat dialogue is pure poetry (sometimes it ain't realistic, but it's awesome). I was wondering how anyone could attend to something they're doing while listening to it. Does it work without viewing it? I imagine it does.

You're not missing much without seeing The Newsroom. It's warmed over West Wing with mucho cursing.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing Lincoln. It was a great movie, but we are political wonks. The casting and makeup were amazing. Daniel Day Lewis looked like the guy on the penny.

My NaNo project is nowhere close to 50K words, but what words I got down are pretty awesome. I love writing from a guy's POV.

And it turns out swearing isn't so much of a problem. I am reading The Outsiders again for inspiration

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Hey everyone, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Congrats, Kewii, on your new nephew!

Congrats, Mel, on finishing!

There's no Thanksgiving in Germany, and we have to work/go to school etc., so it was just a normal day. We (as a family) do the whole Thanksgiving dinner at Christmas though, so it's all good.

I'm just getting my voice back. Seems appropriate that I wasn't on the boards while my voice was gone, lol, but that's not the reason why I've been absent. Like Sage, I'm just very busy. I have a busy couple weeks coming up, going to Berlin next Friday, then there's a Nikolaus party at the nursery school I have to prepare for, plus our work Christmas party (dinner) on the 10th where everyone has to bring a dish from our "land" - I'm making Filipino Eggrolls. It's either that or American cheeseburgers, right? LOL. Anyway, after that, things should settle down. We're not buying tons for Christmas, but the things we are buying the kids are kind of pricey, so it evens out. (Daughter wants this nifty camera, and it's about 400 euros.)

Haven't got any writing done at all, ugh. I'm so behind. But, like I said, I'll be less busy in a couple weeks, then I plan to go full steam ahead. ;)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sage! I'm glad to hear it! It was my muddled brain that was, um, muddled. Aaron Sorkin's rat-a-tat-tat dialogue is pure poetry (sometimes it ain't realistic, but it's awesome). I was wondering how anyone could attend to something they're doing while listening to it. Does it work without viewing it? I imagine it does.

You're not missing much without seeing The Newsroom. It's warmed over West Wing with mucho cursing.
There are the occasional scenes that I'm sorry I can't see (and at times I sneak the iPhone out of my pocket to view them), but for the most part, the dialogue works. I chose WW after listening to Studio 60 (another Sorkin show) a million times. I had that already on my iPhone when I started listening to things at work, but it was the only thing I had. I knew that listening to something like Buffy would be awful. Yes, great dialogue, but then there are those scenes that are just a lot of grunting and breathing because she's in battle. So I decided to go with Sorkin again because I knew he worked in an audible format. (Studio 60 is also WW warmed over, but I memorized it first and prefer the television environment to the political environment)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making Filipino Eggrolls. It's either that or American cheeseburgers, right? LOL. Anyway, after that, things should settle down. We're not buying tons for Christmas, but the things we are buying the kids are kind of pricey, so it evens out. (Daughter wants this nifty camera, and it's about 400 euros.)

€400 for a camera (if not DSLR) is pretty pricey :tongue. Mine is only like $100. I wanna be your child :D:tongue:D.

My NYC-raised MC's maternal grampa is an Arkansan catfish farmer and her granny is going to cook catfish snacks during a gathering so I did a little research. Wow, they pack a pretty yummy punch that I never knew about :Hail:. You oughta check out Catfish Recipes.

I've been reading Southern speech/slang references lately. The aforesaid granny doesn't speak much like a Southerner that I envision. Anyone volunteer to help? (Just a few lines and I can even post here.)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Bing!! How did I not see you rep the garden state? *high fives* I'm originally from there ;)

Anyway hope everyone's holidays went well and wow 400 euros for a camera? *whistles if I could* Dorothy, glad to hear you are feeling better.

I've been good. I had some informal interviews *crosses fingers that they lead to something*, applied for a job I'd love to get but probably won't, and went to Times Square on Black Friday lol not recommended.:tongue

Also went to the movies and saw FLIGHT. :popcorn: Denzel Washington is a great actor!!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Bing, what sort of Southern speech/slang? As a bona fide Alabamian, I may be able to lend a hand.

Welcome, heyhey! :welcome:

We almost saw Lincoln last night, but went to Argo instead. If you haven't seen it, definitely go. It was fantastic!

After spending the weekend putting up ALL the outside lights, getting the tree (always real!), and decorating inside, I'm finally buckling down to start revising again. I may disappear inside a cave for the next couple months, just warning.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Well, crap, I just got my first rejection. I guess I was lucky my first submission got accepted. Haven't experienced any rejections 'till now. It's a humbling experience, ain't it? I wanted to branch out to different e-pubbers, but it just didn't happen. Sigh. The crazy thing is the owner of the company said she didn't like the characters. But the book's about myself and my wife dropped into a supernatural tale. I guess she won't want to be hanging out with us. 'Cause we're not likable. But you guys knew that.

I'm gonna' go hang my head for a while. Pity party in Kansas, everyone's welcome, but don't bring fruitcake.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, even after you're published, some people will love your characters, some will hate them. That's really true about every element of every novel.

Sorry about the rejection. *hugs*

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Sorry, Kansas! Rejection sucks SO bad. It's hard not to take it personally. (All my main characters are a little bit of me, so yeah, it stings when someone doesn't like them). Hang in there!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the cyber-hugs, Sage! I'm going backwards in the writer's trajectory. Usually, you experience rejection before you get picked up. I thought I had it made. But it's probably a good thing. Look at me trying to spin like the wind.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Stiger! You're awesome. Yeah, I'm used to people not liking me. It's part of my "charm." But for someone to say my wife and I are not likeable or believable's kinda silly. I'm gonna drag that naysayer to my next Thanksgiving family get-to-do. Kidding. I'm a novice and still learning.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I remember someone on AW getting a bunch of agent offers almost as soon as she started querying, but never getting an editor interested. I imagine she was really thrown by that. At least if you've been rejected a lot by agents, you're prepared for the editor step.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, heyheymse! :welcome:

*High-fives* Smiley. I've been badgering wife to experience Black Friday at Time Square for years but have always been met with chilly responses. Maybe I'll do it next year by myself. <dream mode>I know tons of single girls go there and give unbelievable treats to single guys.</dream mode>

I've just come back from a Filipino grocery but their eggrolls were long sold out. They sold me some shrimp fritters instead. It was good but I oughta be there a few hours earlier to taste it fleshier and be able to buy their acclaimed rice noodles.

Okay, Southerner speaks. Granny's speeches are in purple and I've been trying to give them some southern flavors:

<Setting: Kitchen in an apartment in NYC. Arkansan granny has been preparing dishes of catfish snacks with a couple of temp helpers. Granddaughter MC walks into the kitchen. Some family friends who were there earlier have left.>

...A faint pecan scent whiffs in the air and a bottle of Jim Beam is set near the stove...

“They’ve left,” Granny says. “They’re all working today. Know what’s next?”

I smile at her. “Bourbon glazed catfish and toasted pecans?”

“She’s good,” [the helper] says.

Granny chuckles and takes a deep breath. “Well, I wish we’d more time together.” <I've tried substituting "well" with "Sho ‘nuff" but it's not really accurate and doesn't reflect granny's mood as good--they weren't close in the past as granny had wished. They're coming together for MC's father's funeral.>

“We will. I promise,” I say and give her another smile, then follow another friend into the family room.

---

[MC's 3½-yo half-brother] scurries into the kitchen (from a street trip) and gives Granny a big cookie. “Maw Maw, this for you.”

Granny takes the cookie and puts it on a dish, then wipes his face [smeared with chocolate and cream] with her apron. “What about your grampa?”

Baby bro looks into his bakery bag. “Yeah, Paw Paw gets one.”

“It’s ‘Grampa.’ He likes to be called ‘Grampa.’”

“Paw Paw.”

Granny shakes her head and laughs with us. I’m afraid from now on Grampa will become ‘Paw Paw,’ whether he likes it or not. Time’s changed; the youngest in a family gets to make the rules.

---
Really appreciate any help.

ETA: Kansas, don't get thrown off by the rejects. They're a part of the business/game. Keep thy head up.

Status
Not open for further replies.