The Bouncy Castle in Space

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My friend gave me a hilarious recap of Brave. We both had thought there would be way more, yanno, bravery, and archery shenanigans and adventures. From her description, it sounds like the screenwriter could not pry The Writer's Journey from his hand long enough to remember to make it a fun adventure.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Brave, I wasn't a fan.

I did like that--for once--the princess didn't need a man to find happiness. But, the story just kinda fell short.

Now, my 6 y.o. daughter loved it, so I guess it hits with it's target audience, but I'm dreading when it comes out on DVD--we'll end up with a good week-long Brave movie marathon.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say how awesome you guys are. I haven't been around as much lately, due to real-life stress, but I'm still as thankful as ever to have a place to bounce and a fabulous gang to bounce with.

:Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:
:Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Happy 4th to everyone!

I'm with mware's daughter--I loved Brave. I know it's not *perfect*, but I don't care. I enjoyed the story of a spunky, rebellious girl who made a big mistake, but found a way to fix it. I liked Emma Thompson as the voice of Elinor, and Julie Walters as the witch. I thought the visuals were stunning. Overall, a very fun film, IMO.

Smish, I hope your IRL stress abates soon.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I took two of my boys to see Brave yesterday, and we all liked it. I was remarking to my husband how Pixar creates movies with kids where the main character is older (Ratatouille, Brave). "They are movies about almost-grown ups," I said. Then my 10 year old said, "And bears!" So, there you have it. Something for everyone.

Smish - love to see you bouncing! I hope the real-life stress settles down.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I just came back from Brave a couple of hours ago with my girlfriend. We both liked it. It had my gf crying at the end. I must say though, the triplets and the witch stole the movie for me. They were great. Especially the witch!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Smish! Your bouncing made me so happy, and dizzy! Hope real life settles down and you can find some free time soon.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Hey, Smish! Your bouncing made me so happy, and dizzy! Hope real life settles down and you can find some free time soon.
Yes, hurry back. I have 3 rough drafts I need you to iron out for me-J/K

Seriously, I too hope things settle down. Somehow I don't think you are getting much writing done.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to see Brave, yet. I did see The Amazing (or was it incredible?) Spider-Man, which was good.

Somehow I don't think you are getting much writing done.

Sadly, you're right.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awoooooooo! How's everyone's summer going? I'm still working on my parents' house, and I might be staying longer than I thought. I have mixed feelings on that.

But the weather is lovely and the biking is nice and I'm seeing lots of old friends. Today I went to the used bookstore, and the kiddie novels section was divided into many subsections, of which the most amusing was "Horses and Ponies". Give the children what they want, which is pony novels!!!

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
"Horses and Ponies". Give the children what they want, which is pony novels!!!

Pony is what I call hubby. I wonder why *giggle-snort*

But I'm pretty OCD, so I would love that store Kitty. I mean what kind of other subsections? If there is just one for horsey books...Now I'm curious! I'm sorry you have to stay with mom and pop for a few extra days.

I have to go to Dallas (eight hour trip) next month to see a friend's baby. I'm not looking forward to the drive :/

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
The Kidd - checked out 'hubby' since you made me curious. His he Norwegian? Just something about his face made me think that. Sorry if I offend. I'm a huge fan of genealogy.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no prob. Sissy. My MIL has a BA in history, and she spent a lot of time researching their lineage. Turns out they are a good mix of Brit. and German. I cant see much of either though.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Today I went to the used bookstore, and the kiddie novels section was divided into many subsections, of which the most amusing was "Horses and Ponies". Give the children what they want, which is pony novels!!!
There are a lot of horse and pony books for kids. Roomie has a whole row of them on her bookshelf that she saved from when she was a kid

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was shopping with my dad last night, which was kind of weird. I've been to Lowe's with him about a million times, but never to a shopping mall (probably because he avoids malls like the Plague). Anyway, I introduced him to Half-Price Books - and had to literally drag him out two hours later. He purchased eighteen books. :D

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of horse and pony books for kids. Roomie has a whole row of them on her bookshelf that she saved from when she was a kid

Me too. My kids now read them. I'm pleased I kept them all, as many are now out of print and hard to find. Others are still going strong. They are like old friends - some parts of them I still know by heart. :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pony is what I call hubby. I wonder why *giggle-snort*

But I'm pretty OCD, so I would love that store Kitty. I mean what kind of other subsections? If there is just one for horsey books...Now I'm curious! I'm sorry you have to stay with mom and pop for a few extra days.

It was elaborately but weirdly organized. Main kid sections were mg/ya fantasy, mg lit, ya contemp, ya romance, various mg and ya series carefully grouped in seemingly random order, and horse and pony books. The bookseller wins a thousand points because he shepherded two bewildered teenage girls from adult horror over to kid fantasy and found the teen vampire series they wanted based on the sole clue that "It looks kinda like this book! But different!"

The other weird thing the bookstore does is that non-historical-mystery-sff-romance-horror novels are shelved under "modern classics" which makes very little sense but they've been doing it for well over a decade. A normal person would call it "fiction".

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Cute kid story #1:
My husband is a library director. Today he was manning the kids' room while the children's librarian was at lunch, and a little girl about 8 years old came to check in. She said she had written in her diary about summer reading club, and proceeded to read him the entry:

"My mom told me you could read books and win prizes, and I was like, OMG! Let's get started!"

She then began chattering about Twilight Sparkle. My husband was alarmed, thinking she was a bit young for Stephanie Meyer, until she explained it is a My Little Pony.

Sorta cute kid story #2:
Another librarian's nephews would rather play outside than read. Their mom said, "I want you to read for an hour a day. Do your reading early, and the rest of the day is yours to play."
One of the kids said, "An hour! We can't read an hour a day! What do you think we are, librarians?"

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
for a while, Twilight Sparkle had her picture next to Jesus in our house--not sure how it happened, but I was thinking maybe I should add an eleventh commandment, just for my home, "Thou shall have no ponies before Me."

To be fair, I have already started collecting classic horse books for when they learn to read, stuff like Black Beauty and National Velvet.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Pfft, get rid of the pony and horses. Books about Dragons, that's what you need. :D
Those are all in my personal collection =-)

I've tried to not raise my daughters to think they have to play/read/be different than boys, but they just love ponies, jewelry, and such. The oldest one has started saying stuff like, "that's a boy book/movie."

She still loved monsters, so that's good enough for me!

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly.

Though one of my 17yo's friends (a 16yo male water polo player) is a Brony.

Apparently, there's a whole subculture of teen boy Pony fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_fandom
:sarcasm That is so great. I'm going to be one of these Bronies. I was just waiting for this to happen. Ever since my little sister had these nasty critters as toys when I was a kid, I was thinking, I want them, but it isn't acceptable for a boy to like my little ponies (or carebears), and now it is, woo hoo.

I at no point decided to see if I could melt the little ponies using a magnifying glass, because that would've been wrong. :D