The Bouncy Castle in Space

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, sissybaby that sounds awful. I had an easy out when my boys got head lice for the first time this year - I cut off their hair. Problem solved!

Yeah, it's gross, and annoying. But they can't live more than 24 hours without a head to munch on, so change the sheets daily and brush her head with one of those special, super-fine toothed combs. Brush and brush. I hate using those chemical shampoos, and I'm not convinced they even work. Just be vigilant with the combing and sheet changing, and you can defeat the little beasts.

Good luck. And that day care - jeesh.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Sissybaby - You're a grandma. Witht he picture of the little one as your avi I assumed you were a new mom! Computer worlds can be so misleading! I'm really sorry about the lice situation. That really stinks. Never had to deal with it, yet. I still have three kids in school. Not too impressed with that day care either!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
HA! Yes, I'm oooollllddd!!! And before we're done with this mess, I may be old and bald.

My first instinct was to shave her curly little head, but I can't do it - yet.

But we're talking about massive critter hotel here, folks.

I bought the Rid, and was so afraid to use it on her because she's so little, but she was a trooper and laid on the counter and played while I waited for the ten minutes to kill the varmints. Then I washed it all out.

That garbage didn't kill them at all! I combed them out still kicking and squirming. And I'm still combing out the nits, and this is the fourth day. She's sleeping on the livingroom floor - I won't put her back in my bed - and I just got down there with a flashlight. Still has a few eggs, but we'll work on her again when she wakes up. She has been so good about all this. And I know now, from experience, that that metal comb is rough on the old noggin.

I think I'm going to have to call the health department about the daycare lady. If I found out someone treated my kids with chemicals without my knowledge, I'd rip their throat out. Maybe she got permission, and I'm working on that, too. I know other moms who leave their kids there.

I've had three kids and never had to deal with lice before. I know they can easily get them from school, and maybe it's no big thing, but I hate bugs of any kind and don't do well with them.

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
Sissybaby,

Hands down (nits down?), you win the award for cruddiest weekend. I'm shocked at that daycare place. When my young'n (now 13) was in daycare, they had super strict rules about lice. Anyone who had them was banned until they were all gone, AND they notified parents when a child had been found with them. They would never have given them a chemical treatment either--it would be considered medicine. Heck, I had to sign a medication permission form for them to put sunscreen on him during the summer. If I were you, I'd definitely call the health department, AND the state's daycare licensing board, and file complaints. Then I'd be rethinking my child's daycare needs.

Gee...now I'm all riled up too!! lol

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh noes lice!!! On sweet behbehs!!! Dreadful!!!

Today was the first day of classes for me. OMG what a bunch of cuties in that second grade class! And they're nice too. The naughtiest one is really not too naughty, hurray. I had a really awesome time at work. My little student was on good behavior, so that makes me look good :D He seems like a nice kid. When I moved across the room to eat lunch so he could have a break from me being in his face, he kept giving me longing looks from afar. I'm gonna have to catch up on this Clone Wars business so I know what he's talking about.

And one of the little girls in the class has a rather famous comedian mom. She looks just like her mom, and has the same speech patterns and mannerisms, only the girl is the really solemn Serious Business type of kid--which is so cute that I can barely stand it!

And one girl told me I looked like Pink. It's a compliment I guess?

And! As suspected I cannot read the blackboard and schedule in the front of the room, but I am going for new glasses soon and will fake it in the meantime! Woo!

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ick, now I'm getting sympathy itches. Sorry to hear you had such a nasty weekend, Sissy! Sounds like you are being diligent with those disgusting critters, though, that's key.

Is the cutie in your avatar pic the unfortunate victim? What a sweet little lamb. :)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Swachski - yep, that's my babycakes. She is finally beginning to talk, and I'm laughing my rear off at the things she says. I figured with her mom, my middle child, she would only know four letter words. But she's surprised me.

I am now grandmommy. And when we walked into Walgreen, she said, "I like that."

My 10 yo was teasing her in the car, asking her if she was a baby. She ignored him for a while, then turned and yelled, "Baby don't walk!" I guess she showed him.

Sorry to make you all itch - just thinking about them makes my skin crawl. But hopefully the worst is behind us. My washer may not survive with all the extra work, though.

Kitty - I am so happy to hear everything is going well so far. Kids are the greatest, aren't they? So innocent, and so blunt. They keep you hopping.

ColoradoKate

Registered
Reaction score
Sissybaby, I am soooo sorry... and I'm afraid I can't stop giggling, too, 'cuz there are now lice-control ads in the ad box near the top of this page! Seriously....

But what a little trooper the Sissybabybabybaby is. Which means you must be handling the whole thing very calmly in spite of your itching and twitching--so, good for you, too.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sissy: ew. So sorry you're having to deal with that. I'd hug you but, well, you know. Sorry, but I ain't taking any chances. ;)

Congrats on a GREAT first day, Kitty! :TheWave:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
sissy: bleah. So sorry. And foo on the daycare person, because getting lice is NOT an automatic part of school. I've taught for 21 years without ever getting the little critters. *knocks on wood*

kitty: oh, yeah. looking like Pink is a definite compliment. It means you're f***ing perfect! And the Clone Wars aren't bad, as cartoons go. You'll catch on quick if you've seen all the Star Wars movies. The cartoon happens in between movies 2 and 3, when Anakin is grown-up but still one of the good guys.

My weekend was pretty good. My 12-year-old gets to make an edible version of a cell, so I get to help him bake a cake this week and then stuff it full of licorice DNA and jellybean mitochondria, or something like that...

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
sissybaby, ewww... my sympathies on the infestation. I agree with you on the bug issue, I don't do well with them either. Hope you and the little one are both itch-free very soon.

kitty, I'm glad you enjoyed your first day! Wow... Pink, huh? You must have made a great impression!

MsJudy, that sounds like the yummiest science project ever.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, sounds like someone is crushing on you!

MsJudy, what a fun way to learn about cells! Hopefully the cake isn't made to actual cell size though, that wouldn't be very satisfying. :D

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
MsJudy - that sounds like so much fun! I love playing with food. So what is the nucleus made from?

Speaking of jelly beans - grandbaby asked for more jelly beans at lunch. I couldn't figure out what the deal was, until I looked at the little mandarin orange slices I gave her. They DID look like jelly beans.

She's a clever little booger. And she LOVES to bounce, so she'd fit right in with the bouncy crowd. One day she was here and kept saying ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump, and pointing to the back door. Took me a while to figure out she wanted to jump on the trampoline!

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, your problems make the crickets in my apartment seem like no big deal. (Although they're very noisy and everywhere. Absolutely EVERYWHERE! We've sprayed some poison, but I don't want to douse the place in the stuff, not with the ferrets.)

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Have you all heard about that ridiculously humongous crocodile? Over a ton? Holy cow. That would certainly keep me out of the water.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
My weekend was pretty good. My 12-year-old gets to make an edible version of a cell, so I get to help him bake a cake this week and then stuff it full of licorice DNA and jellybean mitochondria, or something like that...

Make a golgi apparatus out of wafers and gumdrops for extra credit!

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Have you all heard about that ridiculously humongous crocodile? Over a ton? Holy cow. That would certainly keep me out of the water.

You can see it here:

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-crocodile-captured-alive-philippines-134625838.html

And they caught it alive. If you're ever in the Philippines, you can see it at the zoo (if it survives in captivity). The beast is huge, and the fact that there are more is why I do not plan on visiting that fair country. Crocodiles are so scary.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Make a golgi apparatus out of wafers and gumdrops for extra credit!

well, he knows what that is, anyway...

apparently we are going to try to melt jellybeans in the microwave and mold them together into a blob...

I have a feeling I'm in over my head here.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, after our faculty meeting today, we came out of the library and heard HUGE screams coming from the girls' bathroom...

Turns out there was a stinkbug in between a little girl and the door. She was hysterical. It took three adults to talk her out of the bathroom.

I think maybe she'd better not go to the Philippines, either.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I think I would just go the Mike & Ike route for the mitochondria, and maybe some marzipan oranges for the nucleus, and I know I've seen some spiral shaped swizzle stick candy somewhere that he could use for ribosomes, or ribozomes, or whatever they are.

Maybe they have to be much bigger, though, but it was just a thought. Sounds like a fun project. I like the licorice DNA strands.

well, he knows what that is, anyway...

apparently we are going to try to melt jellybeans in the microwave and mold them together into a blob...

I have a feeling I'm in over my head here.