Subbing etiquette

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Advice, please:

I sent a novel query directly to two small publishers. Publisher A asked for the full ms almost immediately, and I complied (of course!). A few weeks later, Publisher B also requested full.

Pub A does not require exclusivity, nor did I promise it. However, it feels rude to send off a full to someone else, knowing that the founder of Pub A himself is bothering to give my 90K words a read.

Yet I don't want to put off Pub B by asking them to wait.

Am I being ridiculous? I don't want to burn any bridges, and hope eventually to work with both of these publishers.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Send off to Publisher B. If Publisher A is respectful of you, they will wait until you give them the go-ahead to do anything. If they aren't, why would you want to work with them?

You're selling your work. Other authors sub multiple publishers all the time--if they waited back from each publisher before subbing a different one, it would take decades for some to get published.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
If they didn't ask for an exclusive, then send away. Otherwise, like Osulagh said, you'll be waiting forever. I used to send out 10 subs at a time, because rarely did I ever hear back from more than one out of the ten.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I really hope you sent it off to Publisher B. If you weren't asked for an exclusive, and didn't give one, then it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.