Contract question.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
;)

For starters, check out this great post by Cathy C on how publishers can fail and why AW asks the tough questions:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241409

That's a fantastic post, Bubastes. Thanks for posting the link.

In addition to what Bubastes said, there are exceptions to this rule, where a new publishing company may be started up by someone with a lot of proven experience, and a sterling reputation at another publisher. Although I've actually seen a company like this completely fall apart in record time in one instance unfortunately.

As Bubastes said it's not all authors giving a wide berth, just authors in the know.

That's why AW is great. I'm not sure where else I would get such honest advice.

Super_Duper

Jedi Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninjamindcontrol.wordpress.com
What does it mean when it says “To grant licenses to third parties to exploit any of the rights granted herein?”

They want to be able to sell the foreign and/or audio rights. If it is a medium-to-large publisher, go for it. If you have a smart and hard working agent, don't, and let him/her go after those on your behalf.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They want to be able to sell the foreign and/or audio rights. If it is a medium-to-large publisher, go for it. If you have a smart and hard working agent, don't, and let him/her go after those on your behalf.

Thanks, Super_Duper.

I'm afraid I went the publisher first route with this book, rather than agent first. (Something I won't do with the next one.)