Transition Questions: Fanfic Writer to Published Author

Red Hope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redhope.net
I did some searching on the forum to see if there were prior discussions about fanfiction writers transitioning to published authors. I really didn't see anything. There were a few folks that said they had or did write fanfiction but that's about it.

I've been writing fanfiction since 1999, one particular fandom over others, but in various fandoms nowadays. From a marketing/business standpoint, I'm really hoping many of my readers from these fandoms will make the same transition as me into my original works.

I'm curious whether anybody has had such an experience...? Whether anybody has been able to gauge how much of their fanfiction readers transitioned with them and became customers? If so, did you do anything in particular with your fanfiction readers to encourage them to be paying customers? It's one thing to read a free fanfiction versus now paying your favorite fanfiction writer for a book. Or if anybody was a published author first, later did fanfiction, and drew in new customers thanks to the fanfiction?

I have a minor sense of what it may be like because many fanfiction writers in my main fandom became published authors. I've never spoken to any of these authors about the transition. However, they use a very particular technique in their writing to transition their fanfiction readers into customers. But, that's for one fandom, and I feel like they kind of pigeonholed themselves. I want to market to a larger crowd. The more readers I can bring with me is important.

Anyway, I'm hoping somebody has been through the experience from fanfiction writer to published/self-published author. Any pearls of wisdom from experience would be awesome.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I started writing X-Files fanfiction back in '92, '93. I wrote for other fandoms but put out over 200 stories for XF alone, most of which are still up on various fanfiction sites. If you want to Google, look under Sheryl Martin, my maiden name.

:)

When I went over to original fanfiction in 2000 (got married and could dedicate myself full-time to it) I pretty well lost all of my readership. They enjoyed the fanfiction characters but weren't interested in my original writing.

But it depends on the fandom. Some have done well transferring from one to the other, some have had my experience. It's really hard to tell. I don't know if it's the timing, the fandom, the original writing (if you're just scrubbing names, etc.)

All I can tell you is to do your best and keep on writing.

:)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I transitioned from fanfic as well, although I wasn't in fandom for long and didn't have a huge name.

My impression was that I didn't have many readers follow me. It's hard to be sure, but if they followed, they were quiet about it.

Red Hope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redhope.net
Thank you both for a reply. I figured there's probably a handful of published authors that started in fanfiction first.

Sheryl, I think you're right that each fandom will be different. Some fandoms are more conducive to readers being able to transition over. The audiences in each fandom can be unique too. Like the XWP (Xena) fandom use to be (and still is) an older generation that has the money to purchase books. But, I know there's a younger generation starting into XWP, who may or may not buy. Then there's fandoms like Frozen or Maleficent, who are probably more younger readers and less will transition to original works.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Thankfully I have the opportunity to talk to a lot of my current readers. Maybe I'll get a sense of who starts into the published material.

Thank you again. :)

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
By transition do you mean transition your audience or reframe your fanfic as original? I've done fanfic and still do off and on - sometimes I get crossover audiences, sometimes I don't, but I'm pretty sure I fall under "cult following" at my most optimistic. If you have enough people keeping an eye on you, starting a blog and letting people know about it might work, as long as you can maintain regular updates.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Yo! [waves] I still write fanfic and I have at least a handful of followers who have also followed my pro writing tumblr and twitter accounts. It remains to be seen how many will actually shell out for the books. My original fic isn't directly connected to my fanfic, but is is thematically in the same sort of range. I write Young Avengers, mostly, and centered on the main canon queer couple. So I'm writing fic about young men in love, which gives me an audience also interested in LBGT romances. I'm hoping that transitioning my audience from superheroes to historical will be a small step. ;)

I've been linking my identities slowly -- I created my pro blog as a sub-blog of my fandom tumblr and reblog things back and forth occasionally; I have a patreon account for my fic which has gotten my followers used to the idea that I do write for money, and I'll be doing some giveaways on my launch date that will be tied in with my tumblr following. (such as it is). I'm not a million-reader wattpad writer, but I do have a few folks who are dedicated readers and commenters, and one fic that's in the top three of my particular corner of fandom (in terms of hits and kudos). So we'll see what happens.

My AO3 account

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I know of a couple of them who have bought at least some of my books. I'm not sure there is much you can do to make them follow. Just hope some do. There were some I knew had, and some who popped up years later, say commenting on my blog, and mention "by the way, I'm so-and-so who used to read your fics." That's always nice. :D

I never tried to keep the two identities apart. It wouldn't take you long to trace me back to my fanfic roots by taking a look through my current online accounts. I don't link back to my old fic site on my pro website, but I still have the same Live Journal account I've had since 2006 - though changed the name on it. (Yes, Live Journal. I'm old school.) The profile on that includes a link to my fanfic site and obviously lots of the older entries are fics or me talking about writing fics.

And the other way is easy enough. My website where I posted all my fics is still there and I put an announcement on the front page of it that I'm pro writing and a link to my pro website. So anyone reading my fics could check that out and if they like what they see they are welcome to buy my books. :D

Some people do feel the need to keep the two personas totally seperate, but I never felt the need for that. My fic writing got me where I am today and I hope I wrote some good stories. I was just rereading one of them last weekend and enjoying it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I did this back around 1999. In my case the following did not seem to transfer even though I used the same pen name for both. Being a former fanfic writer has caused me zero problems. In fact I have written the occasional new fanfic since then.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
As a current fic writer (since the late 90's/early 2000s) and a writer of original fic, I'd wager there isn't much crossover for me. I'm having to build my platform for original fiction from the ground up. Admittedly, I don't do a lot to promote crossover, though.

E.L. James and Cassandra Clare had a lot of luck with that, but that's what BNF (Big Name Fan) status will do for you, as well as new readers. If you're dealing with a fairly small following and your original writing isn't a fair mimic of whatever fic you write, you're probably going to have a harder time of it. I do agree with Diana that regular updates help.

Red Hope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redhope.net
Hey y'all, sorry for the delay in replying. I've been so caught up at my job. It's nice to have a few minutes and read everybody's reply. It's a lot of help!

So many of y'all changed your "names" as you went from fanfiction to published author? I plan to keep my pen name "Red Hope" because I don't want to lose my fan base. However, from a marketing perspective, I don't know how new readers may respond to an author named "Red Hope". Whether they would not take my work seriously enough to buy and read. I don't know.

I started in the Xena Warrior Princess (xwp) fandom, and I focus on femslash fanfiction. So naturally I'm moving onto LGBT original pieces. I know a lot of the XWP fanfic writers used "ubers" to get their XWP readers to become buyers. Not sure if anybody is familiar with ubers at all, but they're closely related to AUs (alternate universe). Basically the writer takes the shell of the two main characters and puts them into a new setting, time, story line, etc. For those writers and readers in that fandom, it was a great tool to transition those readers into customers buying the books.

I write in multiple fandoms, not just because I enjoy them, but because it's a marketing tool to spread my name wider. It's worked well for me over the last few years. But each fandom as a different crowd, but I think I've picked up more loyal readers, who will probably becomes customers. Hopefully I can find a way to measure it later. It'd be nice to have that following after writing so many years for fanfiction.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You could go for [new first name] Redhope

But I kept my name and still got pretty much zero cross-over. E L James changed hers and got massive crossover. I am not sure it is a critical factor.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. The people who crossed over and brought fans were MASSIVELY popular writers (followers in the tens of thousands) in the biggest fandoms (LOTR, Harry Potter, Twilight). They were the uber BNFs of BNFs. Also none of them (EL, Cassie and Naomi), self-published when they finally broke out of fandom. They were all trade published -- so they had a publicity team behind them.

I think you might find as a middle-lister looking to self-publish your success will come with your relationships with individual readers.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought some original fiction by people I met in fandom and knew first as fic writers, but it was because I was friends with them and/or their original fiction was up my alley, anyway. I think it's difficult to get a big fanbase to follow you from fanfic to original fiction.

I haven't done a whole lot of self-promotion, but I did let people in fandom know when I started to self-publish erotica. I didn't get that many bites, but some of that might be because my main fandom at the moment tends not to be very into erotica.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a few former fanfic readers message me to find out the details of my published novels (since my author name is nothing close to my fanfic pen name, and they couldn't find my books with an online search that way), but most of your readers will likely only stick with your fanfic.

Fanfic is free and familiar, while published works generally are not.

There are exceptions, of course, like Cassie Clare and EL James, but they kept their "original" works extremely close to their fan works. Fanfic fans can be rabidly loyal, too.

It's all a matter of who you are, what you write, and how big your reach is.

(I will say that I announced my novels on a couple of fansites, which got some interest from fan-readers, too. You might try that, if it doesn't violate the sites' TOS to self-promote.)

Red Hope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redhope.net
Thankfully I've been fortunate enough that I have readers asking when will I publish. I'm not sure how often that happens. But, that's why I'm leaning towards keeping my name the same so they can find me.

I guess I will see how this plays out in a coupe of months here. Thank you all for the feedback!

jae_s1978

Registered
Reaction score
I started out writing fan fiction too and then branched out into publishing original fiction. For me, it was a natural development because even my fan fiction always starred a lot of original characters.

I can't give you exact numbers, but I know that a lot of readers have been following my writing career since my fan fiction days.