Contracted in 2013; submitted full MS in September; editor hasn't read it yet

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I have posted over in the individual publisher's thread, but haven't gotten much help, so I decided to post something here in hopes that someone who knows the ropes can offer reassurance if not advice. Because frankly, I've never done this before, and I can't help stressing.

I signed a contract in 2013; told them I needed more time to finish the book. I submitted my full manuscript in September.

A few months later, I found out the publisher, which has been around since, I believe, 1973, has been sold. The editor told me she's swamped due to the sale, and that she wouldn't be able to start reading my manuscript until December. It's now March. I've heard nothing. Nor have I received the other half of my advance that was due upon acceptance.

They have announced their fall books on Amazon; including some as far away as January. Mine's not among them.

Obviously, this is my first book. I'm new to this. But I thought I was reasonably familiar with how publishing works. So I need to know: Is this normal, or should I be worried? I have other writer friends who submitted nonfiction manuscripts to other publishers of similar size and reputation around the same time. Their editors have read their books. They have publication dates, they have covers, they have things to show and tell their friends and family. They're able to make plans for release parties for when their books come out. They can move on with their lives.

I worked hard on this book. I cared about it. The idea that it's sitting, alone and unloved and unread, in someone's inbox, makes me sad.

Half the people I told I was getting a book published probably think I'm a liar because I have nothing to show for it.

I have a friend overseas who I told was going to be featured in this book, and I don't know what to tell him anymore. I realize this doesn't seem important, but it's affecting my personal life and relationships, not to mention my career.

I've moved onto other projects. I'm working on another book. I'm doing everything that I should do.

But still.

Should I email the editor again? Should I email my agent? Should I calm down? I know publishing is slow. I didn't expect it to be this slow.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't help, but do you mean 2014 and not 2013..?

Nope, I mean 2013. It's a nonfiction book and I signed a contract in late 2013 based on a proposal (three chapters). They originally wanted it earlier, but I asked for an extension until September of 2014 to do the research I needed.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
If you have an agent, she/he should have gotten a clause put in your contract that says the publisher has a certain amount of time to publish your book. Since you turned it in during the middle of a big shake-up, though, things are probably just taking longer. Editors are normally swamped with manuscripts, too, and some work more quickly than others.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
You should absolutely talk to your agent. This is part of what agents do--talk to editors when there's a problem and find out what the hell is happening.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Nope, I mean 2013. It's a nonfiction book and I signed a contract in late 2013 based on a proposal (three chapters). They originally wanted it earlier, but I asked for an extension until September of 2014 to do the research I needed.

Oh, well then, um... That's a long time. Maybe you should email them, and word your message as nicely as you can to see if they are even interested anymore. If they're not, you shouldn't be hanging for such a long time, when you could be trying other agents/publishers. o.o

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Leave this to your agent. It's her job to look after things like this for you.

ETA: you have told her what's going on, haven't you? If not, tell her pronto. She needs to know.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think she knows as much as I do at this point. I contacted her back in November after a month had gone by since I sent in my manuscript and I hadn't heard anything. She's the reason I know my editor wouldn't start reading until January.

I haven't contacted her since then because I figured there wasn't likely to be anything new she could tell me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Tell her the sequence of events, and that you've not heard back from them. Tell her now. This is important.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then there's really nothing more to do at this point than to allow your agent to do their job.

As far as being patient goes, I think you passed that several exits ago. You can be understanding of the editor's problems, but is the editor being understanding of yours?

Survey says: No.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks. Agent and editor have a phone call lined up for tomorrow, in which editor has promised to explain why it's taking so long.

Like a lot of writers, I get the dry heaves when I think about being labeled pushy or difficult. On the other hand, I know my manuscript deserves more respect than it's getting right now.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I think she knows as much as I do at this point. I contacted her back in November after a month had gone by since I sent in my manuscript and I hadn't heard anything. She's the reason I know my editor wouldn't start reading until January.

I haven't contacted her since then because I figured there wasn't likely to be anything new she could tell me.

Call her again today!

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK, so this was the gist of the conversation, as related to me by my agent: When the publisher was bought out, it resulted in some staff leaving (they didn’t like the unknown) and some staff not “making the cut,” so they are down from a staff of 10 to 6. They are hiring new staff and she also has a new assistant whom she is going to give my book to read first and provide her with notes, although even that might take a few months.

In short, it's more waiting. But at least I know why.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
My agent, who works in New York and has a couple dozen clients, read my novel overnight and made an offer to rep the next day. Not trying to be snooty, I'm just saying that you deserve better and should look around for someone who wants to make time for you. You'll probably be better off in the long run.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My agent, who works in New York and has a couple dozen clients, read my novel overnight and made an offer to rep the next day. Not trying to be snooty, I'm just saying that you deserve better and should look around for someone who wants to make time for you. You'll probably be better off in the long run.

You do realize I'm talking about a publisher here, not an agent, right? I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

My agent also offered me representation in a couple days, and since then, not only has she made time for me, she's gone way above and beyond. (Not to mention gotten me a book deal.)

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thought I'd provide an update for this, in the unlikely event that anyone was waiting for one. After a lot of upheaval at the publisher, I now have a new editor, who says her assistant has read my book and is now writing up the notes.

This is good news, because this means that there's finally somebody else in the universe besides me who's read my entire manuscript. It's a start!

Last edited: