Publisher owning copyright, not author?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Recently in another thread here at AW (can't find it now) someone who lives in France mentioned that there, the publishers own the copyrights, not the authors.

I just saw something similar for an American publisher, Penguin Group. I saw this book at Barnes & Noble last night, "Thread End: An Embroidery Mystery" by Amanda Lee. Here's a screenshot of it on Amazon.

[URL=http://s844.photobucket.com/user/katkenway/media/Resized%20for%20sharing/Penguin%20copyright_zpsv4meksto.png.html] [/URL]

Really small, hard to see, but here's the main points:

First published by Obsidian, an imprint of New American Library, a division of Penguin Group (USA) LLC.

Copyright Penguin Group (USA) LLC, 2014​

So - how is it that the publisher owns this copyright?

Coincidentally, I started reading a book today that's also published by Penguin, called "Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries." It says:

Riverhead Books
Published by the Penguin Group
Penguin Group (USA) Inc

Copyright 2012, 2013 by Jon Ronson Ltd​

Link to that: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Sea-Jon-Ronson-Mysteries/dp/1594631956/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428821556&sr=1-1&keywords=jon+ronson+mysteries

Different wording, different divisions of Penguin, and for one the publisher has the copyright and the other the author has it.

So - why? Why would an American publisher own the copyright to a book? Actually, to several of her books, all in this same series, all from Obsidian.

Last edited:

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Could it be the story or the storylines are proprietary material of the publisher and the writer is like a ghostwriter?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers own whatever authors sign over to them. Check the contract for help.

A copyright notice does not mean all publishing rights, and a copyright will usually be listed with the name of the person or company publishing that specific edition in that specific format. If you look, you can find works where the posted copyright is one publisher for print, another for digital, another for foreign prints, another for second publishing, another for audio and so on.

The contract will specify what rights are being transferred and the terms for that transfer. Some will sell all rights, some just First North American rights, some only digital rights and you may even get someone selling serial rights (used to be common in the dime novel and serialized publications era, not as much now).

Jeff

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
The publisher owns the copyright if you sell it to them.

That's why you need to read your contracts, know what you're selling, for how long, and when the rights will revert to you.

This is all important stuff for authors to know, especially if you don't have a really good agent.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Hard to say why...

Could be that the author signed over the copyright.
Could be that the publisher developed the property and the author wrote it as work-for-hire.

FWIW, I'm published with Penguin via their InterMix imprint, and for both books, I hold the copyright.

ETA: I'm almost willing to bet it's something like a work-for-hire situation.

Last edited:

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
I've seen a contract for Oxford University Press in which the copyright is in the name of the press but reverts to the author(s) when the book goes out of print.

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
It's definitely not a work for hire deal - I looked Amanda Lee up. It's a pen name, but that shouldn't affect anything. For some reason, she let Penguin register the copyright - which, by the way, is a bad idea because if you ever break up with your publisher it can be hard to get it transferred.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It's definitely not a work for hire deal - I looked Amanda Lee up. It's a pen name, but that shouldn't affect anything. For some reason, she let Penguin register the copyright - which, by the way, is a bad idea because if you ever break up with your publisher it can be hard to get it transferred.

There's actually no way to know if it is or isn't, short of asking the author or publisher.

Some you can guess.

For example, Kevin Hearne doesn't hold the copyright to the Star Wars Novel he wrote, 'cause... Star Wars. We all know that's a work-for-hire book. (And he uses the same name for his Iron Druid books, so no, pen name doesn't matter.)

It just makes more sense to me for it to be a kind of work-for-hire thing. Or developed property. Something like that.

Especially since the author has an agent at a decent agency that brokered the deals. (I looked it up on Pub Marketplace.)

Occam's Razor and all that.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Recently in another thread here at AW (can't find it now) someone who lives in France mentioned that there, the publishers own the copyrights, not the authors.

This is not the standard I am used to. I've sold several books to French publishers, and I can't remember a single instance where they took copyright.

I just saw something similar for an American publisher, Penguin Group. I saw this book at Barnes & Noble last night, "Thread End: An Embroidery Mystery" by Amanda Lee. Here's a screenshot of it on Amazon.

<snipped>

Really small, hard to see, but here's the main points:
First published by Obsidian, an imprint of New American Library, a division of Penguin Group (USA) LLC.

Copyright Penguin Group (USA) LLC, 2014​
So - how is it that the publisher owns this copyright?

The author concerned has a history of ghosting, I think. I suspect this was done as a work-for-hire basis of sorts. But I'm not sure.

If the publisher registered the copyright as theirs without having the rights to do so, then they are in trouble. If they DID have the rights to claim copyright then it is almost certainly all specified in the contract which exists between the author and the publisher, in which case it should be clear who owns what and for how long, and if and how those rights will ever revert.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited: