Publisher's sales report is well below Nielsen Bookscan numbers

Pauline0709

Registered
Reaction score
My publisher is sending a royalty check for 48 books sold. But my Amazon report (Nielsen Bookscan) shows 63 books sold, and that doesn't include Kindle sales. Who do I trust for the correct figure?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Do you have an agent? If so, this is a question for them. If not, hopefully you have a good relationship with your publisher. Someone will have to explain your statement to you in the fuzzy parts.

There are things like reserves that affect the bottom line. It could be several things.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
This is very concerning. If anything, Nielsen's numbers tend to be below the actual sales figures, because some sales will be made through channels that don't report to Nielsen.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that this is something your agent should talk to your publisher about: but if you don't have an agent, you're bound to be anxious.

Where print editions are concerned, publishers' sales--and therefore their royalty statements--are not based on over-the-counter sales, which is what Nielsen reports. They are based on the books they've sold to bookshops and other retail outlets.

If you're talking about a print edition, there will also be a reserve against returns, which will be detailed on your royalty statement.

If you're talking about an electronic edition then my guess is that the difference is all down to a disparity in the reporting period.

Nielsen will show sales up to the current date; your publisher will pay you for sales up to the cut-off date for the royalty statement. So those extra sales will probably have been made in the few days it took your publisher to compile and issue its statements and pay those royalties.

Speak to your agent if you have one, and to your publisher if you don't. Whatever the reason for the disparity, it's easy to explain.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That's the reserve against returns which I mentioned earlier.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You lose nothing by politely raising the issue with them. But first make sure you are looking at numbers for exactly the same time period.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My publisher is sending a royalty check for 48 books sold. But my Amazon report (Nielsen Bookscan) shows 63 books sold, and that doesn't include Kindle sales. Who do I trust for the correct figure?

Work at this long enough and you'll realize that there are no correct figures anywhere. Amazon may have sold books after the cutoff date for your royalty check. Amazon may not (I really don't know) report on returns, just sales. And if you check a half dozen more places that compile sales figures, you'll likely get six additional, non-matching, figures.

Ask your publisher.

Jeff