Does hbo get money from "Song of Ice and Fire" novel sales?

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I want to see what the hubbub is a bout, but for personal reasons I don't want money in hbo's pocket.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Why would they? They don't own any rights to the novels themselves, just the film / television rights. GRRM's spent too long in the entertainment industry to give up rights to his work.

GRRM was also smart enough to work in creative influence into his contract with HBO, and the two showrunning producers are doing nothing to materially change the books (just timing on deaths and minor character adjustments from what I've read in interviews with both the producers and GRRM).

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I seriously doubt it. The first novel came out 19 years ago. GRRM and his publisher(s) the money from novel sales, I would think.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Can't imagine that they would. The show is based on the books, not the other way around. HBO will be the ones paying for the TV rights.

About the only thing I could think of where HBO might be paid something is if there are any editions of the books with covers that have pictures from the show on them. And I don't know if the publisher has to pay anything to use the "Now a hit HBO show" type wording some of the covers have on. They probably do if that includes the HBO logo.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
The only situation I'm not sure about is when the books have the new HBO inspired covers. I think it's possible that if the HBO show were depicted on the cover, that HBO might be making some money off those books?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or if someone puts out books of pictures from the series (can't think of a TV series that's done this, but I remember ones from LOTR, and similar hot-popular movies.)

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
The only situation I'm not sure about is when the books have the new HBO inspired covers. I think it's possible that if the HBO show were depicted on the cover, that HBO might be making some money off those books?

That's what I was thinking. In that case, I imagine they could make some money from the use of the photos. The same could possibly go for covers that use the logo from the show.

Otherwise, though, I can't imagine why HBO would make money from the books. Film rights are a separate thing.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a boxed set of the first five books (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons) in paperback, acquired in 2014 (Bantam Books).

The box and each cover has a banner declaring "A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES FROM HBO". The covers do not depict characters (actors) or recognizable images from the series, but the box itself does. You can bet HBO realized some compensation from the sale of this set.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I have a boxed set of the first five books (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons) in paperback, acquired in 2014 (Bantam Books).

The box and each cover has a banner declaring "A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES FROM HBO". The covers do not depict characters (actors) or recognizable images from the series, but the box itself does. You can bet HBO realized some compensation from the sale of this set.

I doubt it. HBO's compensation is free advertising for the show.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen instances where the film or TV company paid for books to be repackaged and relaunched to coincide with the launch of the new film or TV series. It's all good advertising.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
There will be a few older paperbacks floating around that have no connection to the TV show. I have an advance copy of the first few chapters of the first book (they were giving them out at a convention 17 yrs ago)

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for an e/audiobook anyway (reading problems). :(

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
The ones I see on Audible UK don't have any mention of HBO on the covers (if you call them covers for audiobook downloads!) or pictures from the TV series.