Share Your Successes!

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elenaandrews.blogspot.com
Interesting, merrihiatt. Thanks for all your help in the thread I started, BTW. I kind of feel like starting a self-published author socializing/sale reporting/news thread... That would be fun, wouldn't it?
I really like hearing about what works and what doesn't work from you guys! It's been really helpful. I got my 5th sale today, which isn't much, I know, but I'm pleased that the book is being read!

Congrats to you!!! I'm not lighting the sales charts on fire either but each sale and positive review that came in from strangers calmed my nerves considerably. I want to sell books. I want to make a living at this. But even more than that I want to know I wrote a good story and so far people have been really receptive to my book and that has given me a boost more than even sales could give.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
My ranking numbers are different for all of them.

Am I selling books in each Amazon division per country? Or all they all lumped together somehow? I notice (now) that my rank in the UK is the best overall. What other listings for Amazon should I check?

Tri

Tri, here's where my book is available. I'm pretty sure these are the standard amazon availability places (you know what I mean despite the terrible phrasing!).

Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
Amazon.de
Amazon.fr
Amazon.es
Amazon.it

ETA: Congrats on the sales boost, Tri! And thanks Elena! I'm trying at least. :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
No. They're free and automatically distributed to unless you specifically say no. I can't imagine why your publisher would want to limit availability, so you're probably on there, too.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thrilled to to post the current status of Big Lake and Big Lake Lynching on Amazon:

Big Lake
#95 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Mystery & Thrillers > Police Procedurals
#3 in Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Police Procedurals
#10 in Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery

Big Lake Lynching
#662 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#19 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Mystery & Thrillers > Police Procedurals
#19 in Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Police Procedurals
#81 in Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Nick, all I can say is WOW! That is amazing! You're such an inspiration to us little people. :) Congrats and good luck!

ETA: Ok, so I've been thinking about doing a Goodreads Q&A to attract attention to my book on Goodreads. Has anyone had success with this?

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
These aren't Nick numbers quite yet but yesterday we had another unexpected surge and we jumped over 50,000 slots in sales to just over 20,000. Never had better than 60k before. Hoping to continue the trend today.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Outstanding, Elena! What do you think contributed to the jump? Were you interviewed, some good reviews coming in maybe? Or maybe the word is starting to spread.

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Outstanding, Elena! What do you think contributed to the jump? Were you interviewed, some good reviews coming in maybe? Or maybe the word is starting to spread.

I've been trying to figure it out. Had some good reviews last week on some blogs and some very nice reviews on Amazon and B&N but nothing in the past couple days. Maybe it was just random word of mouth spreading. It was a nice feeling. Now I have a number to beat haha

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow good news here for everyone =D It's such a wonderful thing. I get so excited for readers and writers when I see this kind of thing. I literally just make happy noises! Haha.

So awesome. Congratz to you all.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Almost made my financial goal of bringing in $2,000 a month this month. I hope to slide over that threshold in March. Sold nineteen paperback books this month which is the most I've sold in a month (not counting my Christmas short story as that wasn't a novel). Also, received my first Amazon KDP UK royalties today. A bit mind boggling to think people in other countries are reading my words.

A hearty congratulations to all the folks posting here. Forward motion equals success. Never lose sight of that.

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Almost made my financial goal of bringing in $2,000 a month this month. I hope to slide over that threshold in March. Sold nineteen paperback books this month which is the most I've sold in a month (not counting my Christmas short story as that wasn't a novel). Also, received my first Amazon KDP UK royalties today. A bit mind boggling to think people in other countries are reading my words.

A hearty congratulations to all the folks posting here. Forward motion equals success. Never lose sight of that.

That is awesome! Congrats!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
MW, I might end up there too. Can we put chapters up on Goodreads? I'd like to do that, and I already have permission from pub to do that.

Tri

I guess we're kind of in the same boat. I have a particular horror niche, but I'm having trouble getting the attention of that niche. I'm thinking a Q&A would bring some attention to my book, as well as possibly a giveaway.

I'm pretty sure you can add sample chapters. I've seen it done before, but I'm not exactly sure how. It's usually listed under "[Insert author's name here]'s writings" in an author's public profile, if that helps.

Congrats Elena on the sales boost!

And merrihiatt, wow! You're doing really well!

in_one

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't know if this is a real success or not, but I feel good about it. I finally edited and published my novelette. I enrolled it in the KDP select program and put if for free the first three days. In less than 24 hours, 500 copies have been bought! I don't know if that is big or not for a free book, but I feel good about it. I think that will help get my name out some!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Ok, so I don't know if this is a real success or not, but I feel good about it. I finally edited and published my novelette. I enrolled it in the KDP select program and put if for free the first three days. In less than 24 hours, 500 copies have been bought! I don't know if that is big or not for a free book, but I feel good about it. I think that will help get my name out some!

I think the definition of success is what you deem it be. Writing a book is a success, formatting it as an e-book is a success, getting a contract with a trade publisher is a success, selling books (either 1 or 1,000) is a success, getting an honest review is a success and the list could go on and on.

I celebrate all the successes on this thread!

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Congrats!

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
That sounds great!
My first free day for a short story collection gained 116 "sales," in spite of very minimal publicity other than my Wordpress blog and spreading the word to friends. Hoping for some decent reviews to spur $1.99 sales in the future. ;)

ALM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
meansal.wordpress.com
The accepted wisdom is that cover designs are crucial for attracting sales. Just wondering if the big sellers out there have found that to be true, and where you're getting your images from. Are you doing your own designs or working with illustrators?

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
My e-book won't be out until May (paranormal romance with an e-pub) but this is a thread full of info for a new author like myself. Hope you don't mind if I tag along!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Tag along, Ms. Jem. Even those of us who have e-books out by small press have learned some very important facets of the promotion and marketing aspects. I've raised sales dramatically by some "monkey see, monkey do" techniques that I've learned here. I have a blog that's really picking up steam, whereas I'd never thought of creating one if not for this thread.

Tri