Spring break novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Fred

Registered
Reaction score
I have the week off of school this upcoming week and I'm going to make attempts at completing my first novel. I'm a typically shy person, so I've grown up with the value that the more you talk something up, the more damage you're doing to the work you're talking up. As a result, I frequently begin these silly little projects (in the past, it's been writing and game design) that no one really knows about before I end up putting them on the back-burner. It's been a while since I've started one, and I have more motivation to write right now than I have before, being in something of an existential crisis that I relate to an accident I had a little over a year ago that I still, at times, find myself being pathetic and desperate to give meaning to. My novel idea is one that is pretty simple and is kind of related to the whole idea of a desperation for meaning. It is loosely autobiographical and I hope it ends up being the first story I've ever completed. I have about 3000 words done so far and am a little blocked right now, although I have an idea of where the novel is heading and how it'll end and a few scenes. Don't know how I'm gonna get there or connect it all yet, but I see that as the fun part. Any advice is more than welcome.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
My current project doesn't have an end yet, but as I write and my characters come to life, they are making choices I wouldn't have thought of when I was writing my notes and doing some research.
I've a feeling that they will resolve the story for me. So I just continue to write and see where they take me.
Just write and see where it takes you, don't worry if you can't see your destination, sometimes the best parts of a trip are unplanned events on the way there.

oooooh

the owls are not what they seem
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there (welcome to AW, and congrats on the 3k!)

If you're really worried about how you're gonna get to the end, I'd say make an outline. Outline = lifeline. Even if you don't think you'll follow it through, it's a great safety net to have. Nine times out of ten if I outline a work, I'll finish it. Worth a try.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
... It is loosely autobiographical ... I have about 3000 words done so far and am a little blocked right now, although I have an idea of where the novel is heading and how it'll end and a few scenes. ...

One thought:

Look at where you will end up.

What scenes lead you from here to there?
What antagonists lie between the start of the story and the goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.