Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormwood

Hoping to grow up one day
Registered
Reaction score
I made it to the second round in the Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy Category. So does anyone know when they announce who goes to the 3rd round? Not that I'm anxious or anything;)

Micah

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks seaaircarol. I'm sure a lot of it depends upon the nature of the person who reviews the pitch. If they are someone turned off by 'children in peril', then I get the quick boot. Another reviewer may find it intriguing.

Good luck in round two. Bring home the trophy for the water cooler.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Ergo.

Micah--I believe it's April 14. Good luck!

Wormwood

Hoping to grow up one day
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm pretty excited even though I know it's still a long shot. it's the first time I've ever entered a writing contest.

Micah

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made it to the second round in the Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy Category. So does anyone know when they announce who goes to the 3rd round? Not that I'm anxious or anything;)

Micah

Thank you, Ergo.

Micah--I believe it's April 14. Good luck!
Congratulations, Micah.

seaaircarol is correct. Here's the quote from the official rules:

"D. Quarter-Finals (April 14, 2014– May 23, 2014).
(1) On or about April 14, 2014, we will post each of the Quarter-Finalists’ Excerpts and their associated written reviews online at www.amazon.com/abna.

After reviewing previous posts, there seems to be some misinformation. Previously self-published works indeed qualify for entry in the contest:

"3. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS. You must be the only author of your Manuscript, and your Manuscript must be a novel between 50,000 and 125,000 words. Any Manuscript submitted as an Entry written by two or more authors will not be eligible. Additionally, poems, short stories, and collections of works are not eligible. Your Manuscript, Excerpt, and Pitch must: (a) be your original creation; (b) be fictional; (c) be in the English language; (d) be of interior black and white text without images; (e) not currently or previously have been the subject of a publishing agreement or option with any publisher (but you may submit your self-published novel if you retain all worldwide distribution rights in and to the novel) in any format, including audio, digital, and print formats; ..."

I entered last year simply to see if the pitch worked and to learn some of the formatting discipline, in which case it might qualify to use in a query. My novel, my first stab at fiction, made it to the quarterfinals last year. Made it to the second round this time and would be pleasantly surprised to make the quarterfinals again.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Dag nabbit, Wilber. I searched the second round listing PDF in the thriller category and did not find my name/tile. So I guess I'm out, just as fast as I was last year. My previous sub, YA dystopian, had some damn punch to it, pulling six contract offers and winning a grand prize in a novel contest--that is the one that really surprised me--You end up in hellacious lockstep within the first page and away she goes. I just couldn't fathom not getting through the first stage. This last entry? Slow as tar on a freezing day in the first chapter--hardly worthy of keeping eyes peeled, but I think I knew that going in.

Oh, well. We get knocked down and get back up, wot?

tri

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The 2014 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award (ABNA) competition quarterfinalist list was published today at 3:00 pm-edt. My novel, THE FOURTH MARKER, is on the list. Here's hoping it makes it to the semifinals; regardless, my new one will be entered in next years' competition.

Anyone else going on?

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I am! My cozy mystery "Haunted Ever After" made it. I am really surprised. Good luck, JoeBear. Sorry for the bad news on your end, tri, but wow on your other book!

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am! My cozy mystery "Haunted Ever After" made it. I am really surprised. Good luck, JoeBear. Sorry for the bad news on your end, tri, but wow on your other book!
Excellent, seaaircarol! Congratulations. I would assume from your title that we're in the same group, SF/F/H but I see that you're in M&T. I'm gonna make a Manhattan, sit down to drink it, and root for yours to go all the way.
icon10.gif

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, JoeBear and seaaircarol!

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Looks like reviews from the Viners have been posted, and excerpts are up on amazon. Search: "ABNA 2014 Entry" for the lot of them or add the author's name to target an excerpt.

Good luck to everyone still in the running!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm out. I got a bad PW review. Good luck to JoeBear--I hope your PW review was good.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm out. I got a bad PW review. Good luck to JoeBear--I hope your PW review was good.
Thanks, seaaaircarol. Got what I'd call a lukewarm review, no scathing remarks, not a scathing or biting word, but it didn't stand out like Venus on a starlit night either. Not holding my breath. The review was not accurate in some of the details, but...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Major congrats to anyone who has made the cut in this competition.

I entered this thing 3 or 4 years ago, and didn't get off square zero, which convinced me that if I can't even get under that limbo bar, there was no point in querying/submitting further. It was damn depressing, that experience.

caw

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Thanks, seaaaircarol. Got what I'd call a lukewarm review, no scathing remarks, not a scathing or biting word, but it didn't stand out like Venus on a starlit night either. Not holding my breath. The review was not accurate in some of the details, but...

Mine too was lukewarm. It was good, but I have read some PW reviews by others in the YA category and they were really enthusiastic about how good those stories were. I think it's great though. It has been a good experience for me and I have a couple PW pull quotes now that I can use for promotion.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm crossing my fingers for you, JoeBear and profen4!!!!

I'm rooting for you. :hooray:

blacbird--it's my feeling that the first round (and maybe the second round, too) is largely based on luck (heck, maybe even the third round as well, but by then someone's at least reading your entire book). You can easily run into someone who just doesn't like your type of book or your type of writing or whatever. I'm sorry you took it to mean you should stop querying that book altogether.

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Anyone make it to the next round?

Yeah, 20 people did :) haha. I don't recognize any names from AW, but I hope they'd step up if they did make it. I'd love to know. I was chopped during the last round. I have to say though, it was worth entering for the PW review. I'm planning on entering next year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.