Rejectomancy

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
R from One Buck Horror today, my seventh R since the new year. At least stuff is getting out there. But I have no idea where to send this story. It's gory (too gory for my boyfriend), it's silly, it's fun, and I'm worried it will never find a home.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my R from One-Buck too. Expanded, edited and resubmitted elsewhere.

I have six rejections so far this year. And as contests go, and assuming the winner has the most, I hope I lose this one with flying colors. Still, at this rate I should rack up another hundred by years end. Hopefully with some elusive A's to go with it. (Do we call acceptances A's?)

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten 4 R's so far for the month/year. SOmeone should make a book for all of the 'unloved' stories out there lol

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten 4 R's so far for the month/year. SOmeone should make a book for all of the 'unloved' stories out there lol
I think they have, in a way! I came across a market a few months back whose prerequisite was that you had to submit your story with five rejection slips. And they had to be paper slips, not emails, though I'm not sure if you couldn't print out email rejections. Obviously, the magazine didn't offer payment.

Also, three day R from Clarkesworld.

Last edited:

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Got my 2nd R (for fiction, ever) this morning from The Colored Lens for a brand new little 450 word number that I quite like. The good news is that the 2nd one didn't hurt like the first one. Subbed it back out within the hour. Water off a duck's back!

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Got my 2nd R (for fiction, ever) this morning from The Colored Lens for a brand new little 450 word number that I quite like. The good news is that the 2nd one didn't hurt like the first one. Subbed it back out within the hour. Water off a duck's back!

It does tend to get easier... I'm hoping that by the 20th R I don't get all panicky again lol

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
R from One Buck Horror today, my seventh R since the new year. At least stuff is getting out there. But I have no idea where to send this story. It's gory (too gory for my boyfriend), it's silly, it's fun, and I'm worried it will never find a home.

Sorry about the R but since I have a story I subbed to them, I have to ask: when did you send yours?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R's folks. Tori and Marzioli, how long did your One Buck Horror responses take? I have a story that's been sitting there for 45 days. I'm pondering if I should query if it gets to 60 since Duotrope had their longest response ever be before that.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was at One Buck Horror for 28 days. I imagine you should query at 60, if not sooner. Sounds like they might be considering it though! Best of luck!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, mine was a 28 day R too. Looks like they've gone as low as 25 as of today. Good luck with your sub!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Mine was a rewrite request, so I have particularly high hopes.... though I did kind of go in a different direction from what they suggested, so I'm pretty anxious to hear what they end up deciding.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
R from Stupefying Stories after 84 days :(

*Big Sigh*

At least the waiting is over.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I just flopped it out to ASIM.

I had sort of hoped about Stupefying Stories as they had it so long. But as they were accepting things that had been sent in after mine, it seemed likely that they were on the fence about it.

So, I'm a bit disappointed, but not terribly surprised.

ETA.
Then you have something still there, Aggy!
Fingers crossed for you :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Got my R from Clarkeswood. :( Hey, at least it's a response. The first response I've gotten in a while.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R Lillie.

Heads up on ASIM - Lucy (who handles slush for them) is on vacation for a couple of weeks, so there will likely be a slight delay with that submission. Don't get nervous if you don't receive a tracking # within a few days, as you usually would.

I have a story that's been sitting at ASIM for like 35 days and is still in ROUND 1! Argh.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Alex!

Much appreciated.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
anyone know what is up with Washington Pastime? They have'nt been active on DT since Jan 2nd...

I'm curious too, as I have a story with them too. Maybe they're still working through a backlog left over from X-mas?

Received an R from Abyss and Apex after 60 days today. I think I'll send it to Analog next.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I also haven't heard back from Washington Pastime, and usually they reject me by now. :tongue I'm guessing they took some time off.

R from Stupefying Stories after 84 days :(

*Big Sigh*

At least the waiting is over.
Major hugs, Lillie. :e2grouphu

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
ETA.
Then you have something still there, Aggy!
Fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks. It's been there 37 days which means I know they've looked at it at least once because other Rs (and an acceptance) received after mine have gone out.

Not holding my breath though. It's a long story (7.3k) and like a lot of magazines they say they'll look at longer work but haven't yet bought anything over about 5k. >_<

Aggy, waiting patiently :p