What is your day job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a full-time writer. I manage the content of several high traffic websites alongside a friend of mine. I get paid salary (very fair wages at that) and the work isn't too bad at all. Been doing this for around 6 months now and definitely have no clue how I ever held down a "normal" job. Anyways, yeah. I'm a writer by trade and hobby. Pretty cool, huh?

tarot

super fancy
Registered
Reaction score
I am a technical writer at a large software company. I write the help files, reference guides, and other official communications. I never envisioned this for myself, but it's been very interesting to see this side of software production.

strangefork

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lakhesis.wordpress.com
I am an application support analyst for a Large Company. People report problems with our internal applications, and I figure out how to fix them (or if the development team needs to have a look). It involves a lot of database trawling, and SQL.

lurky

Registered
Reaction score
Manage projects, finance related projects for a broker-dealer. Numbers and spreadsheets. It's easy for me and I clear plenty of time to write.

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a resident-physician. I'm hoping to be a part-time doc, part-time writer someday.

mailtime

Typed so fast, keyboard's on fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, my day job is searching for a day job. lol.

Last edited:

ylrebmik

Registered
Reaction score
Full time student
Part time rehab services aide
Part time research assistant

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a part-time college student and I work full-time as phone actress and adult affiliate marketer. In addition, I have a virtual erotic business on Second Life that I check up on every week. Used to work as meat cutter and I would like to become a butcher one day. Currently, I am studying for my California real estate exam and I would like to sale timeshares in La Paz, Mexico during the summers. I'm eclectic to say the least!

Lorcroftlegacy

Registered
Reaction score
I like to say I'm a full time writer, aspiring student.
I still plan on going to university one day. But until then I work in construction. In mudjacking specifically. (Raising and leveling sunken concrete instead of replacing it.)
Though next year I plan on trying my luck at becoming a comedian.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Truck Driver. :(

Oy, truck driving is awesome. Some voice recognition software on your laptop and you write a chapter a day. At least, that's... what I... heard. From people. Yes. *shifty look*

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Editor and web designer for a group of newspapers after a few years as a reporter

AlexHale

Registered
Reaction score
University student currently looking for full time work, but wishing desperately that I could be a full time writer!

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Full time stay at home mom and part time realtor.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Part-Time Security, while trying to certified to teach. Hopefully if I can teach I can try to further pursue my writing

ArtisticRabbit

is actually a seal. :I
Registered
Reaction score
Ex-military spending most of her days staring at the ceiling and getting used to that. Then my husband (who's still in) is all, "No matter what you wanna do, baby, I'll support you." NOOOO! Don't tell me that! That's like asking me what we should get for take-out but worse!

But I have a good opportunity to really work on my writing so I'm actually pretty happy where I'm at right now so we'll see where the wind takes me. :)

(so... much... freedom... *twitches*)

tooloo

Registered
Reaction score
During the day I'm a substitute teacher. Weekend evenings I work at the front desk or the bar of a hotel. I also have college classes Tuesday evening.

I'm currently on maternity leave. I'm hoping to snag a job as a drug and alcohol coach for a middle school (my final interview is on Tuesday!), which will allow me to leave my other jobs and have more time to spend with my family.

BekkahSmith

Registered
Reaction score
I work in administrative position at a hospital. Buried in mundane paperwork. I write in the evenings and on my breaks/lunch. :) Someday I hope to be a full time writer, but right now I need to pay the bills.

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Double as an Accounts Receivables assistant and Admin assistant to our Operations mgr. I basically handle incoming monies all day in various forms of transfer into the company account [i.e. cash, bank transfers, credit card pmts, checks in the mail] and input all kinds of fun reports into logs for daily/monthly sales, keep daily track of inventory for one of our warehouses, am the primary billing contact for handling a few large, multi-location accounts, get to fill out spreadsheets, make and track deposits, process orders for wholesale accounts, um... process returned mail and collection accounts to forward on to the customer service reps, and run credit checks for all accounts, as well.

Needless to say, my day's pretty busy. I spend both breaks and my lunch hour editing/revising my novel. And have to try not to think about my novel while counting money, lol, or I lose track and have to start all over! :)

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
I'm currently teaching an online art/CG workshop called "Becoming a Better Artist."

My students range from video game/film concept artists, art directors, 3D production artists, animators, illustrators, graphic designers, photographers, fine artists, comic book artists, to hobbyists. Here are the details about my workshop:
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=499

Before teaching online workshops, I taught briefly at art schools.

Prior to teaching, I worked in video games as studio art director, concept artist, and texture artist. I also worked in comic books as a writer/artist/creator for several years. I've also done writing/directing in animation.

I've moonlighted as a composer/songwriter for about as long as I've been a professional artist, composing scores for games/film, and writing songs for famous Taiwanese popstars.

I did some professional photography from time to time.

Ideally, I'll transition into full-time novel writing--that's my goal for the next phase of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.