Stuck for plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my. :e2faint: Oh my sainted aunt.

Well - you asked for it Go full screen.

ETA: ... Not At All Safe For Work. (Also - Trigger Warning - lambs.)

ETA: Quicklime - in my heart, you are Boo the Pomeranian.

What I want to know is...

Where'd you find the fainting smiley? I wants it.

Mark T

Registered
Reaction score
Hi *waves to break people away from their 'self-pleasuring' links*
I think I have a similar problem to the original post-er. I have a premise and plot (or story, I got a bit confused reading the explanations) for part of the novel. I've written 57k so I'd probably say I have enough plot left to finish a book, but it would require (in my mind) a second only I don't have a plot for it. I guess explanation would help.

It's a character who was due, by the rules of the land, to be conscripted as all first born males are only a few months before he was due to be conscripted there was a revolution, the regime overthrown and he kind of finds himself without a life or purpose (that's the premise (I think)). The plot covers what he does and how the Revolution copes. The plot I have goes up to where the main character is thrown in jail suspected of anti-Revolutionary activities but as for plot/story after that, I don't really have any. He might escape with another character but what then? (I understand it's probably really hard to give any meaningful advice without knowing exactly what I'm on about).

I think I'm just a bit nervous about having the story require more than one book as I've never been published before and I feel a bit like it would be asking too much for an agent or publisher to take on a book that is only part of the story. But then I do think that I've come to feel that the story needs more space than one book would give it. Hmmm, maybe this post doesn't fit on this thread at all (sorry).

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*twitches mouse near link*

*chickens out*

*waits for someone to tell me what unholy video mccardLey has linked*

Don't do it!

-hides forever-

very difficult to pleasure oneself to.... :-(

Oh, you shameful lot! It's a perfectly uplifting link to The Nine Cutest Things That Ever Happened - it's just not safe for work because - well, you're meant to be working aren't you?

And Quicklime - get your hands up where we can see them!

tsk

:granny:

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Hi *waves to break people away from their 'self-pleasuring' links*
I think I have a similar problem to the original post-er. I have a premise and plot (or story, I got a bit confused reading the explanations) for part of the novel. I've written 57k so I'd probably say I have enough plot left to finish a book, but it would require (in my mind) a second only I don't have a plot for it. I guess explanation would help.

It's a character who was due, by the rules of the land, to be conscripted as all first born males are only a few months before he was due to be conscripted there was a revolution, the regime overthrown and he kind of finds himself without a life or purpose (that's the premise (I think)). The plot covers what he does and how the Revolution copes. The plot I have goes up to where the main character is thrown in jail suspected of anti-Revolutionary activities but as for plot/story after that, I don't really have any. He might escape with another character but what then? (I understand it's probably really hard to give any meaningful advice without knowing exactly what I'm on about).

I think I'm just a bit nervous about having the story require more than one book as I've never been published before and I feel a bit like it would be asking too much for an agent or publisher to take on a book that is only part of the story. But then I do think that I've come to feel that the story needs more space than one book would give it. Hmmm, maybe this post doesn't fit on this thread at all (sorry).

Why would it need more than one book? What genre is it? Your current word count is actually on the low end of a publishable novel.

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
"The behavior of people in video games (or movies or manga) is to real people behavior as the behavior of the horse in a chess set is to real horse behavior."

Thank you Joanne. Great advice as usual.

Mark T

Registered
Reaction score
Why would it need more than one book? What genre is it? Your current word count is actually on the low end of a publishable novel.

Because I feel like where the story goes is partly dependent on the space I have to tell it. 57k is maybe 60-75% of the plot I have (I'm quite a vague planner) but the end of the plot I have isn't a satisfying end to the story as a whole. As for genre, I don't actually know, which I suppose is bad. It's a bit inspired by Game of Thrones but only that it's an alternative, medieval style-type world but it doesn't have any magic-type fantasy elements so I don't know what you'd call it.

I think I'm just going to sit down and work out where the story goes and if that means more than one book then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.