Podcasting a Novel, Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone podcast a novel, or parts of a novel, or considered doing it?

Background:

In 2007, A previously unpublished Canadian novelist named Terry Fallis podcast his novel, a political satire, one chapter per week for 20 weeks. It became wildly successful and got picked up by a publisher, despite having been "published" already via the podcasts. The published novel became so successful, they produced a screenplay and turned it into a very popular television miniseries.

I'm not naive enough to think my book would garner even close to the same attention, but, as a humour novel with (I think) a fun premise, I believe it would lend itself well to being distributed as a series of podcasts. I haven't exhausted all avenues with this novel just yet, but I'm thinking about recording the first few chapters while the last of the rejections roll in and maybe going this route.

Can you think of a reason not to try this, considering my only alternatives might be to scrap the manuscript altogether or self-publish?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
So you really don't think you'd be able to publish traditionally at all, do you?

I know there are some websites that have audiobooks of original works (which is essentially what you'd be doing). I can't name any off hand but I used to use them. I really like audio so if you absolutely can't publish traditionally I think it's a great idea.

However, making a smooth, high quality recording is difficult and may be expensive. It may be more expensive than self-publishing, I don't know, especially if you hire a reader. Only do it if you think you can make a good enough production.

And there's nothing saying you can't make a podcast and sell a self-published version.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
So you really don't think you'd be able to publish traditionally at all, do you?

Not necessarily. Given the path taken by my compatriot, Terry Fallis, it's possible to podcast a novel (in whole or in part) and still get offered a traditional publishing contract. This might be a pie-in-the-sky view, but there is a precedent.

I would prefer to traditionally publish this novel. I have a published young adult novel that came out 2 years ago, so I have experience with traditional publishing. And, as I said, I haven't discounted it yet. I've exhausted the agents and a few small pubs in my home country but have more to try, as well as a few US agents.

I know there are some websites that have audiobooks of original works (which is essentially what you'd be doing). I can't name any off hand but I used to use them. I really like audio so if you absolutely can't publish traditionally I think it's a great idea.

However, making a smooth, high quality recording is difficult and may be expensive. It may be more expensive than self-publishing, I don't know, especially if you hire a reader. Only do it if you think you can make a good enough production.

And there's nothing saying you can't make a podcast and sell a self-published version.

I've researched and I know these websites. I'm also willing to buy a high-quality microphone. I've downloaded free audio-editing software that's really quite good and I plan to do the reading myself.

My concern is that I might close more doors than I open if I do it, but it's an enticing and innovative concept that my mind keeps returning to.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I meant "at all" as in your first publication -- as in you're going to stop querying it and such.

The one audio format fiction thing I can think of that has really exploded and become popular is Welcome To Night Vale. However that has many differences from an audiobook -- it was particularly written for radio and is more of an epistolary radio play, the writing is excellent, and probably most of all, the guy who reads it is a very good actor. Are you a very good reader, is the question, if you plan on reading it yourself, is what I'm saying, because you really, really need to be. You really need a good reader, not just good equipment.

Sketti

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my Master's Thesis on that! :D

It can actually work really well, provided you put in the effort and it can reach an audience you might not otherwise have reached. You should check out Podiobooks, and some of my favourite podcasting authors: Scott Sigler, Cory Doctorow and Mur Lafferty.

It takes a lot of effort to get noticed when you podcast your novel but it can be a way to become very popular and from there go on to money-making models. Scott Sigler is a bestselling author now but he started by reading his work and making them available for free. He still distributes audio versions of his novels for free, the current novel he's podcasting is Nocturnal.

Don't think of it as giving up on publishing. In fact, I think it's one of the models of the future and I'm probably going to do this when I finish a novel, that's how much I believe in it :D

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
My dad LOVES that Terry Fallis book. I hadn't realized it was originally a podcast. I thought the reason it got picked up by a trade publisher was because Fallis self-published it, submitted it to a major Canadian humour award, and when it won the Stephen Leacock Medal, that's when it garnered interest. Not really sure, though.

(And then the 2011 election had some bizarre similarities with that satire novel...Lots of people running for the NDP thought they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected and ended up with seats...)

Anyways, not that I can offer any advice on making a podcast. It's not something I would consider because I don't think it would work well for the stuff I write.

Katherine_James

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.onlinewritingjobsguru.com
I have loved many a fiction work on Podiobooks (and a few of those authors, such as Scott Sigler, have been discovered by traditional publishers via the popularity of their audiobooks).

I would give it a go, you have nothing to lose by testing out the idea.

Use something like Audioboo (its free if you are recording under 3 minutes, but you have to pay to record up to 30 mins a time). Also Audioboo automatically posts your podcast recording onto iTunes for you, (I found that out when I was dabbling with a few podcast ideas a year ago).

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My dad LOVES that Terry Fallis book. I hadn't realized it was originally a podcast. I thought the reason it got picked up by a trade publisher was because Fallis self-published it, submitted it to a major Canadian humour award, and when it won the Stephen Leacock Medal, that's when it garnered interest. Not really sure, though.

(And then the 2011 election had some bizarre similarities with that satire novel...Lots of people running for the NDP thought they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected and ended up with seats...)

Anyways, not that I can offer any advice on making a podcast. It's not something I would consider because I don't think it would work well for the stuff I write.
It's a great book, that ended up being available at the right time, at the right place. And Terry did a wonderful job with the podcasts. I believe he self-published simultaneously, or shortly after he started podcasting the chapters in January 2007.

In 2008, while still a self-pubbed novel, it won the Leacock Medal for humour. After it won, it got picked up by McClelland & Stuart. It's a great success story and I think the popularity of his podcasts definitely helped.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my Master's Thesis on that! :D

It can actually work really well, provided you put in the effort and it can reach an audience you might not otherwise have reached. You should check out Podiobooks, and some of my favourite podcasting authors: Scott Sigler, Cory Doctorow and Mur Lafferty.

It takes a lot of effort to get noticed when you podcast your novel but it can be a way to become very popular and from there go on to money-making models. Scott Sigler is a bestselling author now but he started by reading his work and making them available for free. He still distributes audio versions of his novels for free, the current novel he's podcasting is Nocturnal.

Don't think of it as giving up on publishing. In fact, I think it's one of the models of the future and I'm probably going to do this when I finish a novel, that's how much I believe in it :D
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm willing to work hard to get noticed. The author I'm referencing had connections in the podcast world because he was professional PR or marketing guy and had done them in the past. But I still feel this route might be the wave of the future. If it is, I'd love to ride it! :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have loved many a fiction work on Podiobooks (and a few of those authors, such as Scott Sigler, have been discovered by traditional publishers via the popularity of their audiobooks).

I would give it a go, you have nothing to lose by testing out the idea.

Use something like Audioboo (its free if you are recording under 3 minutes, but you have to pay to record up to 30 mins a time). Also Audioboo automatically posts your podcast recording onto iTunes for you, (I found that out when I was dabbling with a few podcast ideas a year ago).

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into Audioboo.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Like most self-publishing I think it makes sense to do it because you want to do it, and do it well--not to consider it an end run to some other goal.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I used to listen to loads on PodioBooks a few years ago. Was especially into Nathan Lowell's Solar Clipper series.

And as long as you don't make the text available, only the audio, then the audio rights are the only ones you've exercised at that point. Several of the authors I listened to on Podiobooks went on to traditionally publish. If you get a big following for the podcast then you're bringing along a large number of potential buyers for the book, which can be attractive to a publisher. I've ended up buying the ebooks of Nathan Lowell's novels when they were sold to a publisher later.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I used to listen to loads on PodioBooks a few years ago. Was especially into Nathan Lowell's Solar Clipper series.

And as long as you don't make the text available, only the audio, then the audio rights are the only ones you've exercised at that point. Several of the authors I listened to on Podiobooks went on to traditionally publish. If you get a big following for the podcast then you're bringing along a large number of potential buyers for the book, which can be attractive to a publisher. I've ended up buying the ebooks of Nathan Lowell's novels when they were sold to a publisher later.
Aha! This is the kind of information I was after. So, I don't forego first print rights if I podcast part or all of the novel, only audio rights? That's really good information.

Thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Keep in mind that the publishers most suitable for you book might want all rights in tact, and that for every one who makes the transition X number (probably a high number) do not. IMHO I still think it is only a logical path if you have serious skills and/or enthusiasm for podcasting. If you really want just the book deal, why not go the direct path? I know quite a few people, probably hundreds, who were successful by the direct path. I know one who self-published audio first and then got a small press deal and she was a skilled audio tech and great voice talent n her own right. I suspect the success rate of the former is higher than the later if all attempts are counted.

If you really love podcast novels and would be happy if that is were the book stayed and thrilled if that led to a trade deal, go for it. If you are just looking for the best stepping stone to a trade deal, I personally doubt pod-casting it a reliable one any more than blovels or action comics or a screenplay.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I remember the website that had all those serialized audiobooks! It was podiobooks.com. You might want to look at it to see how it's done.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the publishers most suitable for you book might want all rights in tact, and that for every one who makes the transition X number (probably a high number) do not. IMHO I still think it is only a logical path if you have serious skills and/or enthusiasm for podcasting. If you really want just the book deal, why not go the direct path? I know quite a few people, probably hundreds, who were successful by the direct path. I know one who self-published audio first and then got a small press deal and she was a skilled audio tech and great voice talent n her own right. I suspect the success rate of the former is higher than the later if all attempts are counted.

If you really love podcast novels and would be happy if that is were the book stayed and thrilled if that led to a trade deal, go for it. If you are just looking for the best stepping stone to a trade deal, I personally doubt pod-casting it a reliable one any more than blovels or action comics or a screenplay.
Valid points. I'm just very intrigued by this innovative option and think I'd very much like to try it. I have lots more books both completed and yet to write.

Not that I'd consider doing this throwing a book away, by any means.

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually never heard of anyone doing this but that's not to say it couldn't be done.

I actually think it would be kinda cool to do weekly podcasts and maybe read short stories?

As far as doing an entire novel, I'm not sure how that would work though.

I've always thought that the purpose of doing podcasts was getting a live audience.

For a novel, that may be tough especially if you aren't well established.

Last edited:

Evo Terra

Registered
Reaction score
Correcting some misassumptions

Hi everyone. I'm Evo Terra, the President of Podiobooks.com. This is a great discussion, but I thought I'd jump in and clear the air about a few things.

First, none of your rights are tied up with us. All of the ~650 serialized audiobooks we help distribute are done so non-exclusively. We take no rights. None. Books available on our site have traditional audiobooks available for sale elsewhere. Posting with us does not preclude you doing whatever else you want with your rights -- they are your rights!

Second, we've helped hundreds of authors reach a much wider audience over the last almost 10 years. I'm not aware of any publisher that wouldn't consider a book for publication just because it had been released as a free serialized audiobook or podcast. On the contrary: Many of the authors who have landed a successful publishing deal credit the increased audience found through Podiobooks.com. Doing something like this doesn't preclude you from getting a publishing deal (if you want one.) In fact, many publishers are looking for proof that an author has a built in audience. We help provide that.

Third, it's not easy to make a high-quality audiobook. But it happens all the time. With the right equipment (not terribly expensive), a decent ability to TELL a story with your voice (which is different than writing a great story), and the patience to master some easy audio editing software it's very possible to create a high-quality audiobook at home. In fact, some authors are selling audiobooks using the exact same base files they used to create the serialized audiobook version for our site or for their own podcast.

Fourth, we're free. Free to host your files. Free for the listeners. No hidden charges. No "freemium" services. Just free. And we'll stay that way. All of our books are also available via iTunes (and other places) automatically, so there's no extra work to get distribution when you use us.

So... what else can I tell you? I'll try and monitor this thread in case any other questions come up. I'm also easy to find just about anywhere social networking site you can think of. If you want to email me directly, I'm [email protected]. Heck, you can even call me at 602-325-3045 and I'll tell you what I know.

Thanks again for the great thread. I encourage all of you to check out the books and authors mentioned in this thread. All of them are great!

E.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Evo Terra, for your reply. It's very informative and much appreciated!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Posting with us does not preclude you doing whatever else you want with your rights -- they are your rights!

Second, we've helped hundreds of authors reach a much wider audience over the last almost 10 years. I'm not aware of any publisher that wouldn't consider a book for publication just because it had been released as a free serialized audiobook or podcast. On the contrary: Many of the authors who have landed a successful publishing deal credit the increased audience found through Podiobooks.com. D.

I think you should be a little more cautious in declaring that using first publishing rights is never going to be a problem. Sometimes it will.

And would you say that most or many of your authors who aspired to it ended up trade published? Or some, or just a few?

Evo Terra

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should be a little more cautious in declaring that using first publishing rights is never going to be a problem. Sometimes it will.

I chose my words carefully, VG, but will restate for clarity. In the 9 years I've been running Podiobooks.com, I'm not aware of any author of any book on our site turned away by a publisher because the book was previously made available as a serialized audiobook.

And would you say that most or many of your authors who aspired to it ended up trade published? Or some, or just a few?

Sturgeon's law is absolute, VG. And trade publishing is no longer the end-game or measure of success for many authors. But to answer plainly, only some authors have ended up trade published. Creating a serialized audiobook isn't a panacea. Neither is giving away free ebooks, participating in crowdsourcing, going on a book tour, or any of the multitude of ways authors try and raise awareness. But for those who want to do it and can do it, it certainly can help.

This isn't a get rich quick scheme. It's a crazy amount of work. And it is certainly not for everyone. Heck, I've only created a single serialized audiobook myself. But it's possible to do, and doesn't require some arcane skill to make it happen. Just time, energy, and a bit of money to buy some basic equipment. (The latter I have. But the former two? Not so much. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.