Editor Sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesica

Registered
Reaction score
I want to run my novella by a couple of different editors. My question is what makes more sense, have one edit it, make the changes, then have the second one review it, or send it to both at the same time?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
What is your plan for the novella?

Self-publish? Look for agents? Sell to a big publisher and get richer than J.K. Rowling?

(IMO hiring an editor doesn't make much sense in any of those cases, but knowing where you're coming from will help the users here guide you)

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Why would you want to pay two different people? I suggest you read some of the FAQ's. Editing has been covered in excruciating detail in several threads.

If you're going to spend that much money, pay one to do it right....After you have as good a manuscript as possible. After you get 50 posts, use SYW (share your work) and you will get many critiques, free!

Jesica

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this will be self published. I have the resources to pass it by a couple of editors, so just trying to figure out what makes sense.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
There are different kinds of editors.

1) A 'substantive' editor looks at the 'story'. Have you explained your plot so the reader knows what's going on? Are your characters consistent? Do they act like people instead of, say, Martians? Does anything happen in the story to keep a reader involved?

The most efficient use of this sort of editor is to send her very good work where you've fixed the obvious errors and weaknesses. Maybe you've run the work by some critique partners and considered what they have to say. You might consider SYW, as others have suggested.

2) A 'copyeditor' is a specialized workman with a singular skill. She can spot your typos. She follows continuity so nobody closes the same window twice. She knows whether you mean discreet or discrete. She knows whether a comma is used to set off a relative clause. She knows what 'subjunctive' means.

You approach a copyeditor last thing before you do the formatting of the files and send it out. You go to her when you aren't going to make any more changes to the story. It would be silly to pay someone to tick off your comma splices and then rewrite the last 5K words, inserting all new comma splices.

You can see that the two kinds of editors enter the writing process at different stages.

Last edited:

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
To add to what JoB said, a 'substantive' editor is not going to make the changes for you. She will point out the problems and make suggestions. You will have to make the changes yourself if you think they will improve your book.

And don't neglect the copyeditor. It's impossible to spot all your own mistakes.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Just so long as you're aware that the overwhelming majority of self-published titles don't make enough money to cover the expenses if you're hiring an editor.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
If I were doing this (and this is something I've been thinking about for a couple projects), I would first find a couple trusted beta readers and get the manuscript into the best shape I could that way. If I had extra cash, I'd use P. N. Elrod's critique service for a professional critique. But no matter what, I'd hire the best copyeditor I could.

But that's just me.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
To add to what JoB said, a 'substantive' editor is not going to make the changes for you. She will point out the problems and make suggestions. You will have to make the changes yourself if you think they will improve your book.

And don't neglect the copyeditor. It's impossible to spot all your own mistakes.
Definitely. A "substantive" or development editor looks at your story's big picture: characterization, plot development, inconsistencies, and probes for areas that could be strengthened. She will make a lot of suggestions, but it is up to you to apply them - if you so choose. If you want the development editor to review what you've done in response to her suggestions, that would be something to work out in your agreement with her. (Do you pay twice or is the original fee all-inclusive?)

Development editing is not the same as copyediting. They are completely different things and require a different mindset. You may be able to find a development editor who also does copyediting (I don't know, I haven't looked) but one skill may be dominant.

If I were doing this (and this is something I've been thinking about for a couple projects), I would first find a couple trusted beta readers and get the manuscript into the best shape I could that way.
I completely agree. If you're going to use the services of a development editor, go as far as you can with your manuscript on your own, and that includes making use of beta reader and fine-tuning the spelling, grammar, etc. to minimize the time the editor will spend time on them (and you will pay for).

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP, no editor MAKES the changes. They suggest. The author is still responsible to make the changes, or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.