Too Many Rewrites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

So I have been working on a WIP for quite some time now. The idea I had in the back of my head since 2012 and started writing it seriously since 2013. Since then, I had written what I labeled as "crappy draft" which though was never finished, was about 50,000 words in. It was okay for the rough draft/idea draft. I feel like it has changed DRASTICALLY since then. Which is partly a good thing. I learned the nuts and bolts of writing a novel along the way, however, I feel that perhaps my enthusiasm within the writing has waned. While I love this story, and I want to continue, I'm starting to think is it really worth it to keep going? This always happens to me, and it's really frustrating. I really don't know what to do about it. Throw away all that work? Start something fresh? When is it too forced? Help?
^_^

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I think you should definitely finish it, but once it's done, learn from What worked and what didn't and move on to the next project.

SkyeScribble

Child
Registered
Reaction score
Every story is different, but I would bet your story is more than salvageable. I wouldn't worry about the rewriting yet. Just keep pushing forward until you reach the end, then set it aside. Work on something else for a while. Read as much as you can. That's one of the best ways I've found to stay passionate about the act of writing.

Finish what you started, that's what most writers suggest. Even if you'll go back and change half the words, finish what you started. Don't feel bad or discouraged about rewriting later. My friend went through half a dozen drafts of his novel over fourteen years. I don't know how he does it.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I feel that perhaps my enthusiasm within the writing has waned. While I love this story, and I want to continue, I'm starting to think is it really worth it to keep going?

Lost enthusiasm in the writing, or in the story? Because both you can mold into whatever will excite you.

I, nor anyone else, can answer this for you. Do you feel as if you should continue, or drop it?

I went through rewrites in a project nearing about 20 times (complete rewrites with, probably, an additional 20 edit runs), and I found the story turned into something I didn't want to aim for. So I gave it a rest. I still want to return to some of the great concepts and ideas I had, but not with the same story; I'll probably revisit it with a better plot to swap into it down the road.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
I think every WIP is different. But I think the ultimate question is about the story itself. I finished a 56k word YA fantasy that I never want to look at again. The writing is fine for a good draft, but the story just hasn't drawn be back in and I haven't even looked at the file in months and months.

On the other hand, I had an adult fantasy sitting at about 60k words forever. I was stuck and couldn't seem to finish, but I kept going back to it and trying. I realized I genuinely wanted, even needed to finish it - beta readers, editing and all. So I did. Sometimes I had to force it, but usually when I got rolling, I remembered why I loved the story to begin with.

Not sure that helps, but I think only you can really know if you have the desire to whip it into shape or move on.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
If you're feeling burnt out, take a break. Read a book or write something else and then go back to it. :)

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
If you have to force yourself to finish it, then maybe you shouldn't. But if you are just frustrated with it, but want to continue, then you should. Frustration is something you can work through. But if you absolutely hate working with it, then perhaps it's time to move on to something else.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion: If you haven't finished a novel before, finish it to have the experience of finishing. If your enthusiasm is gone in the end, give it a few months (a year, however long really) and then come back and read that finished draft and see if it doesn't return. If it doesn't, by then you'll have something new to work on. If you're never even excited enough to reread it, you've probably moved on anyway.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
We tell the story in the first draft. When it comes time to rewrite, our enthusiasm can wane because we've already told the story. The excitement can be gone. My advice is to finish it. Nothing comes from having a bunch of unfinished stories lying around.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

So I have been working on a WIP for quite some time now. The idea I had in the back of my head since 2012 and started writing it seriously since 2013. Since then, I had written what I labeled as "crappy draft" which though was never finished, was about 50,000 words in. It was okay for the rough draft/idea draft. I feel like it has changed DRASTICALLY since then.

Sounds like a saggy middle problem. Many writers seem to feel this way when they're halfway through. Your enthusiasm may come back when you're nearing the end.

WRT the story changing drastically, you have some choices. Either push through with your original idea, keeping it consistent with what came before.

Or complete it with the idea that the first part of your written manuscript already reflects the changes you have in mind.

Either way, knowing what it takes to complete a manuscript can be invaluable.

Hopefully WLCT

Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same way sometimes. My family doesn't know about me writing, so whenever I get time to write( edit actually) I always make an excuse as to why I can't. I think the idea and storyline came so quickly to me I was amazed how quickly I got it all down. From start to finish, I know every scenario in my outline. I think that because, according to me, the real work...editing, now begins, it's a struggle. Somedays I feel that I'm editing to the point of rewriting and I just have to walk away. You didn't mention if your still working on it or not, but maybe you need to just recharge your batteries for a while. Your WIP isn't going anywhere, so just take a breather.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Some days, it's going to feel like work no matter what you're writing, so that's just a normal part of the process and always will be.

I agree with MythMonger that maybe there's something going on (or not going on) in the plot that's causing you to lose enthusiasm. If you haven't outlined yet, this might be a good time to stop and do that and just make sure all your chapters and scenes are working hard for the whole work and moving the story forward. As someone who does it myself, the middle is where a lot of writers tend to tread water instead of continuing to build toward the end.

Maybe if you identify some things you can cut or spice up, you'll find your excitement again.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Finish it. Finish it. Finish it. While it's ideas still make sense in your head. Take a day break but not more. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to keep pushing, if you want any sort of creative career, there will be many times where you have to make yourself finish. Even if you keep it as a first draft. You learn so much about story endings when you do. You can always fix it up later.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, I write best when I'm motivated. When I force myself, it comes out (extra) crappy. I write mainly because I enjoy writing. If it becomes a chore, it defeats my purpose.

Since you still love the story and want to continue, keep going! Don't worry about whether it's worthwhile. When you're done, you can get some betas, read their feedback, then decide at that point how much more rewriting you wanna do.

But if you just don't feel like it now, it's okay. It might be a good time for you to take a break. Breathe. Recharge. And maybe you'll get the energy to come back later.

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your responses. I think the main problem is the frustration that it's not getting finished. Yes, I realize the only way to finish is to write, but it can be frustrating. I did figure out last night what was lacking in the plot and what I needed to cut to make it cleaner. Which I'm very happy about. I just know it's going to take a lot more work. I am currently going through outline format suggestions. (I have been browsing the forum, but feel free to sound off!)

Lost enthusiasm in the writing, or in the story? Because both you can mold into whatever will excite you.

I, nor anyone else, can answer this for you. Do you feel as if you should continue, or drop it?

I always felt that this is the story I was meant to tell. I can't tell you how or why I know that, it's instinct. There's something about this project that I just don't have the heart to put away.

I went through rewrites in a project nearing about 20 times (complete rewrites with, probably, an additional 20 edit runs), and I found the story turned into something I didn't want to aim for. You have a lot more patience than I do! Part of the reason it's been taking me so long to finish is that I do take breaks (months) to recharge. Which probably isn't the best.

Sounds like a saggy middle problem. Many writers seem to feel this way when they're halfway through. Your enthusiasm may come back when you're nearing the end.

This is definitely a fair comment. I do think you might be right that it might be the saggy middle part. I'm still learning writing those long middles.

Either way, knowing what it takes to complete a manuscript can be invaluable.This is also another reason I keep going. I want to be able to finish a project. I "finished" a project a few years ago, but I didn't have all the writing experience I do now, so I don't really count that.

Some days, it's going to feel like work no matter what you're writing, so that's just a normal part of the process and always will be.

I agree with MythMonger that maybe there's something going on (or not going on) in the plot that's causing you to lose enthusiasm. If you haven't outlined yet, this might be a good time to stop and do that and just make sure all your chapters and scenes are working hard for the whole work and moving the story forward. As someone who does it myself, the middle is where a lot of writers tend to tread water instead of continuing to build toward the end.

Maybe if you identify some things you can cut or spice up, you'll find your excitement again. I think this is a major thing. When I find those little things to find my excitement about the project, then I remember why I keep writing it in the first place.

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
I have never finished a piece of writing that I started on my own. Never. When I went to school, the one - perhaps only valuable - thing it taught me was how to finish something.

I spent a decade writing stories to the thirtieth page and then throwing it away. I wrote because it was fun, and when the fun dissipated, I stopped. With that formula, I would never get anywhere; you can't sell a book you don't finish.

If this is a constant issue, then I think you should finish it. If you've written things to the end in the past, then maybe your gut thinks this wont work. Either way, I truly don't believe you can know if it'll work until you have the whole thing in front of you.

Write the thing, you really have nothing to lose. Even bad writing is practice, and practice makes perfect.

If it makes you feel any better, I doubt myself every day, and wonder if I should just hangup my skates.

Last edited:

AbbyBabble

abbybabble.blogspot.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abbygoldsmith.com
The idea I had in the back of my head since 2012 and started writing it seriously since 2013.
You've only been working on it since 2012? I don't think you've gone overboard on rewrites yet. Try working on a project for twelve years, as I've done. Then it will be officially overworked and rewritten into oblivion.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've done quite a few rewrites on some of my projects. The completed epic fantasy draft in my signature is actually the fifth version of that book. All of them have been complete rewrites.

In my upper MG fantasy series, I've written one of the books two times and will be rewriting it again. It's now the third in the series.

I find that, if I put a decent amount of time between rewrites, I don't lose enthusiasm for the project. I'm never quite as enthusiastic as I am with the very first draft.

I'm also strange in that I consider rewrites completely new projects. My revision process doesn't involve rewriting from scratch. It involves working with what's already there. I only rewrite from scratch for two reasons:

1. My writing really sucked, as it did when I started out.
2. The story just didn't work as is and needed a complete overhaul.

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
I have never finished a piece of writing that I started on my own. Never. When I went to school, the one - perhaps only valuable - thing it taught me was how to finish something.

I spent a decade writing stories to the thirtieth page and then throwing it away. I wrote because it was fun, and when the fun dissipated, I stopped. With that formula, I would never get anywhere; you can't sell a book you don't finish.
this was my problem for a very long time. I keep telling myself that hey, you want to be published? you can't without a finished product.

If this is a constant issue, then I think you should finish it. If you've written things to the end in the past, then maybe your gut thinks this wont work. Either way, I truly don't believe you can know if it'll work until you have the whole thing in front of you.

Write the thing, you really have nothing to lose. Even bad writing is practice, and practice makes perfect.

If it makes you feel any better, I doubt myself every day, and wonder if I should just hangup my skates.
I feel your pain! That very thought goes through my head every day. The life of any artist.

I've done quite a few rewrites on some of my projects. The completed epic fantasy draft in my signature is actually the fifth version of that book. All of them have been complete rewrites.

In my upper MG fantasy series, I've written one of the books two times and will be rewriting it again. It's now the third in the series.

I find that, if I put a decent amount of time between rewrites, I don't lose enthusiasm for the project. I'm never quite as enthusiastic as I am with the very first draft.

I'm also strange in that I consider rewrites completely new projects.
This is actually what I was telling myself last night. The premise is new. The characters are the same, the world is the same, but the villain I realized needed something to make him more powerful. I had too many villains coming up, and it just wasn't working.
My revision process doesn't involve rewriting from scratch. It involves working with what's already there. I only rewrite from scratch for two reasons:

1. My writing really sucked, as it did when I started out.
2. The story just didn't work as is and needed a complete overhaul.

this all depends for me, too. I think there are some scenes that are salvageable, I just need to look at them from a different angle. The writing could probably be better too, though.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this part of your story isn't working the way your subconscious wants it to.

I had this problem with a WIP recently. The story felt dull and tired to me even though I still loved its ideas. I finally figured out that I'd started in the wrong place and the format wasn't right. Now it's fun to write again.

Maybe have a look at this specific part of the work, see if it's doing what it's supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.