What do I put in my Bio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I've had another full request, and this time the agent wants a synopsis and bio as well. I've done my synopsis (although is 2 pages too long?) but I don't really know what to put in a bio? I've got a blog, but I've not had anything published in magazines or anywhere else, and I've not had any 'interesting jobs' because I'm just finishing my senior year, and I'm not sure if I should mention the fact that I'm 18/a student in the bio.

I'm stressing out because I don't want her waiting for ages (she sent the request this morning). Help!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Two pages sounds good for a synopsis. As for the bio, just be honest and say you're eighteen years old and this is your first novel (where 'first novel' = 'I have no other published novels out there'). Since from your sig you write YA, your age is probably more of a benefit at this point than something to hide. You've got current knowledge of the young adult mind. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Most agent blogs I've ever read have said leave your age out of it. ETA: Then again, they weren't specifically aimed at YA.

Don't worry about a bio. If you don't have anything to say, you don't have to say anything.

Two pages for a synopsis is fine. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it said that (I think by Janet Reid) if you are under 16 to let her know, but if you're over 16 don't mention it. It can be seen as a sign that your work might not be as polished, and it's not young enough to either warrant special attention (such as a personalized letter) or be impressive.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Most agent blogs I've ever read have said leave your age out of it. ETA: Then again, they weren't specifically aimed at YA.

Don't worry about a bio. If you don't have anything to say, you don't have to say anything.

Two pages for a synopsis is fine. :)

She did specifically request a bio, though - she said 'could you send me the full manuscript along with a bio and the synopsis.' And I'd already sent her a 2-sentence one in the query, so whether she just want to know about me?..

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It is a tough one. Do you have any activities or hobbies you could mention? Or just say "I'm in school (without being specific about age) and this is my first novel"? That's one of the times I'd say it's okay to mention that it's your first book.

I struggled with this one, too. Bio? Srsly? I'm a SAHM. What's to tell? "I have fantastic kids! Which is totally irrelevant!" :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.