Comps in queries

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I know that some agents ask for comps in queries, but many don't seem to specify. Obviously, I wouldn't want to call a book the next Harry Potter or something ridiculous, but is it helpful for agents to have comps in a query or no?

Comps show the author's familiarly with the genre and possibly the manuscript's marketablility. But I'm a little afraid of adding comps because it seems like one more thing that the agent could say no to. (In my head, I'm picturing agents saying "I hated that book, so I'll hate yours too." or "Where do you see that in this manuscript, this author is way off base.") Am I being paranoid?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The author making any sort of comparison to a previously published work smacks of hyperbole and will turn off potential agents. Leave that to the marketing folks when you get published.

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
The advice I've read is to say "I hope my book will appeal to readers who enjoy X author and Y author", as opposed to "I am the next Cormac McCarthy, deal with it", which seems sensible to me.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I did this and my agent liked it. "Readers who enjoyed (Name of Book) might like (my book)." It was in response to an interview I'd seen with the agent who was looking for something similar, though.

I think as long as you're not arrogant about it, making a comparison is fine.