Jurassic World

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
You know what would be awesome? If Chris Pratt's character in Jurassic World turns out to be the grown-up "Volunteer Boy" that Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) terrified with the raptor claw at the dinosaur dig in Jurassic Park.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Oh my, this looks really really good. Even though my Twitter disagrees and is mostly voicing how shit it looks. Sigh. I will love this.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I would have liked to see the woman in charge be Alex Hammond, the "hacker" from movie 1. I could see a definite twist in which she's trying to face the fears of her past, but also validate the greatest dream of her grandfather's life. All while every character from the past 3 movies asks : Are you nuts?!

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I would have liked to see the woman in charge be Alex Hammond, the "hacker" from movie 1. I could see a definite twist in which she's trying to face the fears of her past, but also validate the greatest dream of her grandfather's life. All while every character from the past 3 movies asks : Are you nuts?!

You know, that would've been a terrific throwback, since the actresses that portrayed those two characters are very close in age. The character portrayed by Bryce Dallas Howard in Jurassic World is named Claire, not Lex, so that's off the table, but that age-similarity thing is what made me posit that Chris Pratt might be "Volunteer Boy" from Jurassic Park, who didn't have a name. Who better to be running with 'raptors than a kid who was traumatized by the threat of them?

Yeah, they totally missed an opportunity by not making that character Lex. Although, maybe she legally changed her name . . . .

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But... why are humans always so stupid? Why make the lethal dinosaurs when people would go just as nuts over a park full of veggie-sauruses? *shakes head*

Always interesting where the line of suspension of disbelief gets drawn. Because I'm with you on this. I can accept dinosaur cloning, but the stupid human behavior necessary to enable this plot makes no sense. First of all, how the hell is this park even open? It reminds me of Ghostbusters 2; it can only take place in a world where news media doesn't exist. Think of the lingering impact Blackfish has had on Sea World, then imagine a wildlife theme park exclusively associated with tragedy and animal attacks, with a body count that has to be north of thirty by now, and was directly responsible for a previously extinct super-predator rampaging through the unsuspecting downtown of a major city.

On top of all that, they decide to create a new hybrid predator dinosaur because ah, what the hell, why not? "What's that? Did we learn any lessons from the previous three horrible, deadly tragedies that happened on these islands? Hell no, lessons are for losers. Now shut up and help me add the adamantium teeth and corrosive blood to this Murderdeathosaurus."

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You know what would be awesome? If Chris Pratt's character in Jurassic World turns out to be the grown-up "Volunteer Boy" that Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) terrified with the raptor claw at the dinosaur dig in Jurassic Park.

Which would be plausible, because 'terrified' isn't all that far from 'fascinated'. Look at the back-story for the storm-chaser played by Helen Hunt in 'Twister'.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
For the record, I wasn't saying that people being stupid was too much of a stretch for my imagination - in fact, it's 100% believable, LOL. People are that stupid and do incredibly stupid things for money, which is why it's possible for awesome movies like this to be made!

I just wish that, as a species, we could be a little more intelligent sometimes so that movies like this would be too much of a stretch for our imaginations. ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So, there are pictures of the D-Rex lego set now available online, showing off the new dino. "Diablous Rex," which is apparently I spine-encrusted hybrid of the T-Rex and the Velociraptor.

What could possibly go wrong when you splice human hunter #1 from the first film with the ONLY dinosaur in the park big and bad enough to bring it down, and then name her the devil-king?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
After waiting for over ten years, my first thought was "Well...that's not what I expected."

I'll probably go see it.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
I'm way too excited about this movie. I swear, if it sucks, I'm gonna be upset. They're marketing like crazy though. I just saw their website where they posted actual park maps and everything.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I was disappointed that all the dinosaurs in the trailer were CGI ones. I'm hoping the whole film isn't like that. But I'll still go to watch it, after all they are dinosaurs. And dinosaurs rock.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about as excited for this movie as anything ever. Have a babysitter lined up. It's on my calendar. It's all we've talked about for days.

Not that I'm obsessive...

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
So, there are pictures of the D-Rex lego set now available online, showing off the new dino. "Diablous Rex," which is apparently I spine-encrusted hybrid of the T-Rex and the Velociraptor.
T. rex and Velociraptor, how does that work? Still, my own idea was a T. rex and Spinosaurus hybrid, so I was close. Bit of a let-down, though, if you can see the mystery-animal already before the movie and here I thought the trailer worked real well without showing it.

I was disappointed that all the dinosaurs in the trailer were CGI ones. I'm hoping the whole film isn't like that. But I'll still go to watch it, after all they are dinosaurs. And dinosaurs rock.
If they know what's good for them, they've got to include animatronics. That technology has also improved in the last 20 years and Spielberg used it only recently in Warhorse to great acclaim.

You can't have a Jurassic Park movie without animatronics. Just can't. It's part of what made the first so great, it gave the dinosaurs real presence.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Truth be told I'm still a little buttmad over the lack of feathered dinosaurs (though that can be fan-rationalised away by assuming the frog DNA was what made 'em scandalously buck naked).

I'm still gunna see it 900 times.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

Well remember, JURASSIC PARK was such a huge deal because of its CGI dinosaurs. They did a mix of animatronic and CGI and it worked wonderfully well. And was also groundbreaking at the time.

But I think you'll be happy to know it looks like the plan is for the same for this one. From EMPIRE:

Trevorrow, however, was happy to confirm that he’ll be using animatronic dinosaurs

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40832

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I must be the only one not buying into all the hype?

First off, is this a sequel or a reboot? If it's a sequel, they had to get approval to get the park open (the whole reason why the scientists were there in the first film, right?), so who the hell would approve such a dangerous dino hybrid?

Second, small children running around (I guess they're basically a staple of the films at this point, but I still don't like them). And the people sending the kids off in the beginning? GUARDIANS OF THE YEAR.

Third, of course the dinosaur's a carnivore and going to come after all of the walking morsels. You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see an herbivore break out of its enclosure and attack people. That'd be novel, at least.

Fourth, raptors running alongside the dude? Makes them lose their terrifying factor so, so much.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Correction. The hybrid is much worse than T-Rex + Velociraptor.

It's T-Rex + Velociraptor + Titanoboa (snake) + Cuttlefish.

Have you ever seen a cuttlefish? Now stick that head on a T-Rex. The new dinosaur is Cthulhu.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Well remember, JURASSIC PARK was such a huge deal because of its CGI dinosaurs. They did a mix of animatronic and CGI and it worked wonderfully well. And was also groundbreaking at the time.

But I think you'll be happy to know it looks like the plan is for the same for this one. From EMPIRE:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40832
Glad to hear. And I thought the CGI was awesome in the first film, but I really was impressed by the animatronics, so would love to see them again. Makes it more real.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear. And I thought the CGI was awesome in the first film, but I really was impressed by the animatronics, so would love to see them again. Makes it more real.

Agreed. One of my favorite moments in the first movie is with the Triceratops that's eaten the poison lilac. Grant lays over on her side, and is lifted by her breathing, with this look of absolute awe on his face.

Actually having the animatron there, able to physically interact with the actor, made all the difference. It wouldn't have been the same with them green-screening a mimed lift.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Correction. The hybrid is much worse than T-Rex + Velociraptor.

It's T-Rex + Velociraptor + Titanoboa (snake) + Cuttlefish.

Have you ever seen a cuttlefish? Now stick that head on a T-Rex. The new dinosaur is Cthulhu.

Just so I'm clear: the new dinosaur is the one in the pool?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just so I'm clear: the new dinosaur is the one in the pool?

No, the D-Rex. It's the Big Bad of the movie, developed in a lab to boost visitor interest in the park.

The one in the pool is just a regular dino, which apparently makes it boring to the people coming to the park. That's why they have to build themselves a new model.

ETA: link

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/06...ng-dinosaur-1468809?lt_source=external,manual

Here's the breakdown of the new beastie, along with concept art.

Last edited:

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
The one in the pool is just a regular dino, which apparently makes it boring to the people coming to the park.

I know this is fiction, but how these people gonna get bored with any type of dino? I'd be amazed by the tiniest haha