The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to see you back, tri!

DJ, congrats! You've done it. Now sell that book!!!!!

Happy early Thanksgiving everyone. Eat lotsa turkey.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I am in the UK so we don't have thanksgiving... but if its ok I will still have extra pie?? :D

Oops, missed that. Still, you can have extra pie. I believe we should search out whatever pie-consuming holidays occur anywhere in the world and celebrate them all.

gckatz

Chimaera
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to eat pie tomorrow, regardless of your geographic location.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I made pumpkin cheesecakes (mini sized) in lieu of pie. They're for tomorrow, but I may have to sneak one in tonight, just to make sure they turned out okay, you know...I am also making a galette tomorrow with ginger and pear, yum...

Might walk over to the coffee shop tonight and work on the manuscript some. I get so much more done there, but I feel like I'm paying to write ($5-10 each time), so I can't let it be the only time I get work done or I'll never even break even!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh ( Another rejection... oh.... {enter expletives here}

... and breath.... NEXT...

:Shrug:

Have you put your query and first pages through SYW?

Any glaring flaws and the critters there will pick them apart for you. I can look at your first pages, but I probably suck at queries, so don't ask me for help there.

mazblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Have you put your query and first pages through SYW?

Any glaring flaws and the critters there will pick them apart for you. I can look at your first pages, but I probably suck at queries, so don't ask me for help there.

No not yet, I am a newbie so was waiting to get over the 50 posts, but also getting a feel of the place and the people. Hope that makes sense, I'm not only here to do the best for my book, but also to learn from people, and strange as it seems even learning of others rejections helps too. I am going to go into revise four on the book, and then see about getting a editor.

Last edited:

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

maz- I never did QLH or SYW here, but I definitely learned a LOT about not only my own writing, but the correct way to construct a successful query!

Random: I shared the first 2 (out of 3) chapters of my short-fiction with a few of my non-fic betas last night and they really liked it!

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Query Letter Hell and Show Your Work, both forums here. One to post your query and have it critiqued, pulled apart, fixed, etc. and Show Your Work.. well, that one's self explanatory. I think you knew that, though. Thought I saw you mention it above... but I didn't get a lot of sleep so I could be making that up, haha.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask what QLH and SYW means?

The password is vista.

This is the only place to share work on AW. The password protection is to keep Google and such from finding your work.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Query letter hell is a subforum and there are subfora for most genres and age groups. If you're unsure where your work belongs, feel free to ask, but don't post the same work in multiple fora.

Spend some time browsing the threads before you post. It's a good idea to offer a few critiques before you put your own stuff up, 1) because it gives you a feel for how it is to sit in the critter's chair, and 2) because this is a community and it's best to start out on the right foot, showing people that you mean to give back and not just take.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!! About to get get started on my turkey breast. :)

Started out the day by making a quick trip over to the coffee shop (they're open 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year, it's awesome). Had to get iced coffee because even at 8 AM was getting warm. High of 80 today. :D I love my home! Anyway, got a nice scene done, and it felt good! I decided not to worry too much if I have to bribe myself with coffee shop trips to get this editing done. After all, I have my damn day job for a reason, eh? Someday when I'm trying to live solely off my writing, perhaps it won't make sense, but for now I'll do whatever I have to.

Alright, turkey, here I come!!

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! So I'm going to the book store on my break to stock up on books about writing
Any recs? Plot structure, novel writing? Anything that's helped you?

P.s. I'm working in a massive shop today and there's a huge chance I might get pulled apart by rabid Black Friday customers so wish me luck!

Last edited:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! So I'm going to the book store on my break to stock up on books about writing
Any recs? Plot structure, novel writing? Anything that's helped you?

P.s. I'm working in a massive shop today and there's a huge chance I might get pulled apart by rabid Black Friday customers so wish me luck!

I hadn't realized our traditional day-after-Thanksgiving sales had gone global. I'm not sure what we're doing today, but I think we'll try to avoid stores.

Anywho, the three books I've found the most useful are: Vogler, THE WRITER'S JOURNEY; Lukeman, THE FIRST FIVE PAGES; Browne & King, SELF-EDITING FOR FICTION WRITERS.

I hope those who celebrate Thanksgiving had a great day. We went to this big vegan feast at the local Hyatt. Out of the five door prizes possible for the 250 participants, hubs and I won two. Neither of us had ever won anything before. I can't tell if this means we are due for a string of luck or we've used it all up now.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs I'll add them to my list :) yes, Black Friday is making me lose faith in humanity today! It really brings out the worst in people if I wasn't working I'd never go out shopping today. However I'll happily take advantage of any online book sales I can find :)

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday!
Since I didn't post yesterday, I'll take this opportunity to express how thankful I am for each of you -- for how you both encourage and challenge me. :grouphug:

Up to 63k and really having to fight this last 10k or so. I think I've figured out part of the climax, but I have no idea how it's going to wind up. And since we were discussing it... I tend to do my best brainstorming either right as I'm falling asleep (I'll sometimes wake up with the solution) or in the shower. Sometimes driving helps, but since we moved recently, I have to pay more attention to the less-familiar roads.

Speaking of dreams, last night I had a dream that Hollywood wanted to make my MS1 into a movie. When I woke up we were discussing the casting.

mazblondie - Sorry for the R. Have a cookie (or some pie, if anyone has any left over)

Lonegungrrly - I second the recommendations for THE FIRST FIVE PAGES and SELF-EDITING FOR FICTION WRITERS. I think next on my writerly to-read list is Stephen King's ON WRITING.

Hathor - Those kinds of things come in threes usually, right? So you're due at least one more prize or stroke of good luck here soon.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday!
Since I didn't post yesterday, I'll take this opportunity to express how thankful I am for each of you -- for how you both encourage and challenge me. :grouphug:

Up to 63k and really having to fight this last 10k or so. I think I've figured out part of the climax, but I have no idea how it's going to wind up. And since we were discussing it... I tend to do my best brainstorming either right as I'm falling asleep (I'll sometimes wake up with the solution) or in the shower. Sometimes driving helps, but since we moved recently, I have to pay more attention to the less-familiar roads.

Speaking of dreams, last night I had a dream that Hollywood wanted to make my MS1 into a movie. When I woke up we were discussing the casting.

mazblondie - Sorry for the R. Have a cookie (or some pie, if anyone has any left over)

Lonegungrrly - I second the recommendations for THE FIRST FIVE PAGES and SELF-EDITING FOR FICTION WRITERS. I think next on my writerly to-read list is Stephen King's ON WRITING.

Hathor - Those kinds of things come in threes usually, right? So you're due at least one more prize or stroke of good luck here soon.

Wendy, I have every confidence you'll figure it out to your satisfaction. Then I will tell you to change it :tongue

I should have explained my third book recommendation--it is all about the hero's journey (assuming that is the sort of plot you like).

I like the idea of being due for some more good luck. I hope I haven't already had my third bit in being able to come up with a plot for WIP that I like. I'm anxious to think what people think of it, but I know I have to let it sit for a while, then look at it again.

However, it's hard to let it sit when plot muse keeps thunking me in the head when I'm trying to do something else, yelling about assorted inconsistencies or passages that need to be improved.

Last edited:

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Wanted to also say I'm thankful for the writing community here! I've learned lots and hope I have offered the same. And yes, this is in the spirit of American Thanksgiving. My family was subjected to being served a raw turkey, me being the public health professional who checks the temperature before saying it's done... (put it back in oven and it worked out fine).

Got a personalized letter from "The Funny Times" magazine. They rejected my stuff, but the editor signed it and added "Keep at it. Great ideas here."

I'm moving up!

Definitely! I love rejects like those.

*sigh ( Another rejection... oh.... {enter expletives here}

... and breath.... NEXT...

:Shrug:
Was also thinking it's heartless because of Thanksgiving, forgetting the global nature of agents and writers here!

Status
Not open for further replies.