• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Any other writers experience this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to apologize for my anger in that other thread. I don't really think that was right of me...

Okay, so on the topic:

1) I find that I don't find reading my own writing to be interesting. But...when I'm reading a good book or a manga, I kinda can appreciate the story. Why don't I get enjoyment from reading my own stuff?

2) I've noticed that I don't find my own protagonists to be that special or something. Like, I don't know. They don't really scream out to me, compared to the protagonists from media that I like. Like, I think about protagonists from other media, but not really my own. Well, I guess when I'm thinking about my story or something...

3) Do you ever feel like you can't write the story you want because it won't be as good as you want it to be? What I mean by this is that I sometimes feel that my story won't turn out good because of my current skill in writing.

I think I'm not on the level in my writing to create truly good characters. Though, I think my current story's protagonist is on a good track.

BTW, I've been reading in the form of manga currently. I haven't found a good book yet.

Thanks in advance!

Lythande

I, am that is.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ankh-ascendant.deviantart.com
I'm just going to address 3... I wasn't going to participate in NaNoWriMo again this year and was basically convincing myself not to right up until the first because I didn't feel that I would be able to do anything decent with my dear world / story I've had hanging around for a while. I ended up doing it (obviously) and it actually turns out that this is the first time trying to write these characters that it "feels" like it's come together. Not a masterpiece or anything, but it's actually working.

So yeah, I constantly feel unqualified to write the story I want, but doing it anyway is the only way to get any closer to the story it should be.

(Characters are no problem for me... It's plot I'm incapable of ^^; )

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand that worry. But what you should do is sit down and write it anyways. Maybe it won't be the story you want it to be, but it's not like you can't rewrite it later, once you've gained skill and experience.

When I wrote my first fantasy series, my characters had a good base, but that was about it. Now that I've rewritten it, the characters are much stronger, and the character in my new ideas are much stronger.

Don't give up because you feel like your stories aren't measuring up to what you want. That's actually an indication that you have the potential to grow as a writer. You know what great stories look like, and you're frustrated because you aren't producing them yet. That's normal. Most writers go through it.

If I remember correctly, you're still in your teens. Believe me, you still have a lot of time to grow.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
I find that I don't find reading my own writing to be interesting. But...when I'm reading a good book or a manga, I kinda can appreciate the story. Why don't I get enjoyment from reading my own stuff?
I think that's normal. For the same reason you can't tickle yourself: You know what's coming.
You know the stuff you've written inside out. You know everything beforehand. Every joke, every disaster, every plot twist. You know how everything is going to play out, how it's going to end.
But you're readers don't. So don't worry until your beta-readers tell you they find it boring as well.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
1) I find that I don't find reading my own writing to be interesting. But...when I'm reading a good book or a manga, I kinda can appreciate the story. Why don't I get enjoyment from reading my own stuff?

I see this as two points: 1) You're interested in something new and not all that caring for something familiar. Like meeting someone knew, moving to a new town, discovering something. 2) Your writing might not be engaging enough to engage you, which might be hard for the reader to be engaged with. That can be a good sign as it shows that you can punch up the writing and story.

2) I've noticed that I don't find my own protagonists to be that special or something. Like, I don't know. They don't really scream out to me, compared to the protagonists from media that I like. Like, I think about protagonists from other media, but not really my own. Well, I guess when I'm thinking about my story or something...

If you see this as a problem; fix it. Some people don't writing super special characters, others do. If you see that as a fault in your writing, do something about it.

3) Do you ever feel like you can't write the story you want because it won't be as good as you want it to be? What I mean by this is that I sometimes feel that my story won't turn out good because of my current skill in writing.

A couple years ago I did. Now not so much. How is this so? Because I've practiced writing and storytelling enough that I can be thrown into something and write it decently well. Perhaps not as proficiently as some people can, but I have enough experience to back myself to at least try and correct along the way. It's experience and knowledge. It's not so much that you can't do it, rather than not living up to your potential by not trying. For example: If you don't feel like you can write something, practice doing that. Run through a ton of scenarios until you learn what's good and what's bad. All this trial and error will move you towards techniques that you can use. When you jump into a similar situations, those techniques will take over. But you can't get to that position if you don't try to learn and fail.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Point 3) You may be right, your skill level isn't as good as the best writers out there. So what? Practice is the way to improve. Write your story. If it ultimately turns out not to be as good as you want, that's ok. File it away, write some more stories, and if the original idea still speaks to you when you've leveled up you can use it again to write a new, better story. It's all part of mastering the craft.

Short version: don't let the best be the enemy of the good.

Points 1 & 2) It's often very hard to gauge how your own work may come across to readers, because you're too familiar to it and it's hard (if not impossible) to be objective about something that's still half inside your head. You may be right that your stories and characters aren't that interesting or special. Or you may be completely wrong. That's why you need Other People to read and respond to your work. If they mostly agree, you know there's a problem and then you can work on fixing it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
BTW, I've been reading in the form of manga currently. I haven't found a good book yet.

Just because you write manga doesn't mean you have to read it, beyond gaining a familiarity with the format. If, "none of it is good," why waste your time with it?

As to the writing, practise is what it takes and that requires time. Often years. In the meantime just write your stories as well as you can. They won't be as effective as they might be, but if the stories rate they should still be good enough. The story and the characters are the main thing, though solid writing can really make them stellar.

G'luck.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I don't think many writers have a brilliant story in their heads ,that can be transferred onto paper fully formed . It is , for most writers , a process of development . You write a story , and rewrite and edit . Put it away ,and write something else ,come back and have another go. The most important thing you must do, is to finish it . Starting something and loosing the will to continue, because it is not as as you would like it be , is normal . But to not press on is to misunderstand how most stories are created. They are often sweated out, bit by bit.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Everything else in your post is normal, and may even be true. There a learning curve to writing, and it can take years to become a skilled writer, if it happens at all.

"I haven't found a good book yet" is what bothers me. Do you mean never? How many novels have you actually read? If you don't read a lot of novels, how do you expect to write one that's readable?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
1) Sounds like you're not 'resting' your manuscript enough -- you need to leave it for a few weeks before re-reading it or you'll be too familiar with it.

2) + 3) Learning good characterization and plotting both take time, it sounds like you need more practice in both, but...

...you're holding yourself back. How are you going to learn how to craft strong characters and plots if you don't read widely?

Start in a genre that fits your interests (if you like manga and light novels, try YA sci-fi and fantasy as a starting point, then move to YA contemp and/or adult fantasy, and gradually expand your tastes...) and get READING. It's the only way you'll figure all this out!

You know all sorts of manga tropes, right? The protagonist cliches, the powers you've heard of a dozen times, the plot formulas. Now go out and learn the tropes and structures of other genres!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
This doesn't happen to me. I write stuff I would like to read, in a style I enjoy reading--so of course I find my own work interesting. If you don't, there might be a problem with what you're choosing to write, or the style you're trying to write it in.

Quiet protagonists can be good, if the story you've put them into is interesting. But if you think your characters need to be stronger, pay attention to those you like reading about--what makes them compelling?

I think I'm not on the level in my writing to create truly good characters. Though, I think my current story's protagonist is on a good track.
Sure, I think it's always a struggle for a writer to get what's in our heads onto a page in coherent form. It's a rare writer who nails it all on the first take. Read--a lot. Write--a lot. Get over to SYW and critique other people's work--a lot. Considering what works and doesn't work in other writers' stories will help immensely when you turn back to your own writing.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
1) Sounds like you're not 'resting' your manuscript enough -- you need to leave it for a few weeks before re-reading it or you'll be too familiar with it.

2) + 3) Learning good characterization and plotting both take time, it sounds like you need more practice in both, but...

...you're holding yourself back. How are you going to learn how to craft strong characters and plots if you don't read widely?

Start in a genre that fits your interests (if you like manga and light novels, try YA sci-fi and fantasy as a starting point, then move to YA contemp and/or adult fantasy, and gradually expand your tastes...) and get READING. It's the only way you'll figure all this out!

You know all sorts of manga tropes, right? The protagonist cliches, the powers you've heard of a dozen times, the plot formulas. Now go out and learn the tropes and structures of other genres!

Well, what I meant by that statement was that I haven't really found something that I'd like. I tried a paranormal YA book, but it wasn't my style. Fantasy/sci-fi are my preferences.

I tried looking at some books on Goodreads, but I haven't found something that stands out to me yet. I've been trying to find something about aliens/really powerful antagonists, since my current story has both of those things, so I'd like to see how to do these well.

I'm just not too confident about this current story. I'm trying to aim for a story that makes readers think: I basically want a mix of strategy and action.

I'll just have to get feedback and see how that goes.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what I meant by that statement was that I haven't really found something that I'd like. I tried a paranormal YA book, but it wasn't my style. Fantasy/sci-fi are my preferences.

I tried looking at some books on Goodreads, but I haven't found something that stands out to me yet. I've been trying to find something about aliens/really powerful antagonists, since my current story has both of those things, so I'd like to see how to do these well.

I'm just not too confident about this current story. I'm trying to aim for a story that makes readers think: I basically want a mix of strategy and action.

The trick to learning how to write well by reading other books (which, btw, is an essential component to learning how to write) is to read a lot. I've not read any single book that has the same type of characters/plot/setting as what I've written. But I've read a lot of books that have individual elements that are familiar territory in my own work.

So, I doubt you'll find one book that will show you how to write powerful characters well and how to write a book that's a mix of strategy and action. (Although if you like manga I would recommend Blade of the Immortal if you haven't read it already as a good example of the strategy/action mix.) But you need to read a lot. A lot.

As for the rest, if you aren't writing material that you like, your readers will be able to tell. Some of that is just writing skill - learning how to get what's in your head out onto paper in a compelling way. You may have seen some folks around here talk about "writing a million words". There is a learning curve and continuing to write (and read) is the only way to get over the hump. However, if you aren't enjoying writing then you might want to consider exploring a different creative outlet.

Writing is work so it's not always something that's super-fun. I have days where I have to make myself put words down; every writer has days like that. But, if you're consistently struggling to write, and not finding much interest in what you've already written, then it may just not be the thing for you. And only you can make that decision.

Last edited:

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score

You've read other books than the YA Paranormal, right? You're going to have to read, read, read to get the full benefits. As for suggestions about aliens/powerful antagonists:

Camouflage by Joe Haldeman centers its story on shape-shifting aliens, one of which is pretty darn antagonistic.

Wild Cards is a shared world anthology edited by George R.R. Martin that focuses on superheroes. Between superpowered villains, gangs, and simple human bigotry, it features a nice mix of antagonists. As a bonus, the superpowers were also created by aliens.

Best of luck.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I tried a paranormal YA book, but it wasn't my style.

One book is not an entire genre.

Just sayin'

You did not like one book. I did not care for say a Song of Ice and Fire

But I love fantasy

Try a bit more. Try different authors/styles. Read reviews to find ones you think you might like.

One book =/= a genre

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
xYinxx, I had a glance at your previous threads, and when you last brought up your writing issues the resounding response was "READ LOTS AND READ WIDELY". I really don't think the responses you get here are going to be much different.

The solution to almost all writing issues, especially when you're starting out, is reading widely and critically.

I know you don't particularly *like* this solution, but it's the only one there is.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Try a bit more. Try different authors/styles. Read reviews to find ones you think you might like.

One book =/= a genre

Back in the early 90s, I read a couple of romances of the purple-prose bodice-ripper variety. I thought they were ludicrous. So I read tons of fantasy and SF novels and decided that was what I would write, and it was what I wrote for years.

But then in 2006, I started noticing that there was a lot more to romance than those two books, and I began to read more romances. Suddenly the genre opened up. I couldn't get enough of how exciting and diverse it was, and best of all, I could splash around in both pools by writing fantasy romance.

But I would never have discovered this if I'd said, "I tried one romance, but it wasn't my style."

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
xYinxx, I have to say, I don't feel like you're trying to listen to the people who have been giving you advice. Reading one YA Paranormal or one book of any age group or genre doesn't mean you don't like all books in that grouping, as has already been mentioned.

I'm not a fan of Dystopians or thing such as Feminist or Christian Fantasy, but that doesn't mean there aren't or won't be books that I enjoy in those genres. It just means that most aren't for me. And you know what? I read multiple during my personal quest to figure out what I like. So you read one bad Paranormal, big whoop! There's hundreds if not thousands of others out there to explore.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
xYinxx, I had a glance at your previous threads, and when you last brought up your writing issues the resounding response was "READ LOTS AND READ WIDELY". I really don't think the responses you get here are going to be much different.

The solution to almost all writing issues, especially when you're starting out, is reading widely and critically.

I know you don't particularly *like* this solution, but it's the only one there is.

+1

xYinxx, I have to say, I don't feel like you're trying to listen to the people who have been giving you advice. Reading one YA Paranormal or one book of any age group or genre doesn't mean you don't like all books in that grouping, as has already been mentioned.

+1

Since you seem focused on manga (and still seem reluctant to read written-word books), have you looked into other styles of comics/graphic novels? At the library, I see several adaptations of books - everything from classics to newer titles - appearing in graphic novel format. Maybe that would be a way to start bridging the gap to written stories. If nothing else, it might be interesting to step away from the manga style of storytelling and art once in a while. If you have to learn a new style and new tropes, you'll be paying more attention to how the author tells the tale, which will help you when you work on your own material.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
We all suck at new things. Ever see a toddler try to walk? Hear one try to talk? If they didn't persist in trying, they'd never learn. Doing something badly, over and over again, and evaluating why it went wrong is how you get better.

The good thing about being a toddler, though, is that you have pretty low expectations of your own performance. As adults (or young adults) we tend to compare ourselves with people who've done whatever it is we want to do for years and years. Imagine if a toddler tried to walk, looked at a professional ballet dancer and went "Why can't I do that?" And yet, that ballet dancer was once a toddler who kept falling over.

I think we've all been toddler writers, so we can identify with what you say. You are not alone. It's perfectly normal, especially in the beginning. And generally, I think even very skilled writers always feel a bit like this. You are always trying to accomplish an idea that much better than your skills. That frustration is what spurs many writers to go the extra mile in their writing. You will feel like a four-year-old with crayons trying to draw the Mona Lisa sometimes. It is also normal.

Try to tailor your expectations to your current skill level. These are your apprentice years. Try not to focus on the end result as much as your growth. As long as you keep developing and improving, you'll get there in the end, but it will take time. There are no shortcuts. It takes time and hard work. I don't know anyone who is any good at anything (including but not limited to writing, guitar playing, drawing, competition law, plumbing and ballet dancing) who didn't work hard for a long time before achieving that skill level. It sucks and it's dreary and if you don't love it enough, it may not be worth the effort. But there is no getting round the effort. And reading widely is part of that effort.

So, the bad news is that your current story may very well never be as good as you want it to be. The good news is that hard work might make it OK, and the next one will be better until one day you can make your writing do anything you want. It'll be able to leap and twirl like a ballerina, and you'll marvel that once it was so hard to try to stand up.

One thing I don't understand about your post though:

Okay, so on the topic:

If you don't like other books, why would you like your own?

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
What I find oddest about the whole issue is that, basically, I have genres I'm not fond of and don't really read. I know that I'm not fond of the genres only because, over time, I read a bunch of stuff in the genres.

How would I know otherwise?

There are some genres I like some stuff in but not others - I know where my line is. I only know that because I've read enough, across various genres.

It's like saying you don't like broccoli when you've never tried it, or you just licked it one time.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
What I find oddest about the whole issue is that, basically, I have genres I'm not fond of and don't really read. I know that I'm not fond of the genres only because, over time, I read a bunch of stuff in the genres.

How would I know otherwise?

There are some genres I like some stuff in but not others - I know where my line is. I only know that because I've read enough, across various genres.

It's like saying you don't like broccoli when you've never tried it, or you just licked it one time.

Agreed. Never mind that broccoli is damn yummy, especially raw and with some ranch dressing or vinigarette. It takes time to find what you like and don't like in any given genre or age group as far as reading material.

I'm not the biggest fan of Splatterpunk, mainly because it grosses me out. But I'm still willing to take recomendations for the genre in hopes of finding books within it that I enjoy. It is like when you introduce a kid to a new food, you give them multiple chances. At the end they either don't like it, they do, or only like it prepared a certain way. The one taste rule people seem to have is baffling to me because of this. How on earth can you dislike a genre based on a single book? It just isn't logical, even by human standards.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I love my own writing. Why? Because I write the kinds of stories that I wish existed. They don't, so I write them myself.

It could be that you're simply not writing in the right genre. If you don't enjoy reading it, you aren't going to enjoy writing it. Find a genre that you love!

It's also possible that you don't like your writing simply because you aren't that good yet. Writing is a skill that takes time and practice to master. For most people, it literally takes years to become a good writer. Sure, it helps if you have a natural talent for wordsmithing or storytelling, but some things don't come naturally and must be learned, and then practiced ad nauseum.

If you aren't happy with your story, write another one! And another, and another. Read how-to books. Read novels. And then, write another story, putting into practice what you just learned. Keep reading and writing until one of two things happens: 1. You're finally happy with what you've written. Or 2. You're sick of writing and want to quit. :)

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score

2) I've noticed that I don't find my own protagonists to be that special or something.

I know some people who don't find reading their own right super interesting because they already know exactly what's going to happen. With that said, if you don't find it interesting at all, then surely you know why it's not interesting. Do you ever think "I wish this happened" or "I wish there was more action." If so, add it in the story.

The good thing is that it's your story, so if you don't find it interesting, add something big.

As for number 2, I would say to just make them special, ya know? You 're the author . . . you have power to do what you want with the story. Have one character have two different colored eyes . . . that's pretty unique.

Good luck with ya

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
As for not finding a book you'd like to read, maybe you just haven't found that genre - yet. Some people are very limited in what they will read - or won't read. They like only thrillers, or YA-thrillers, or YA-with a lot of sex-thrillers. Seriously. But once you find it, you'll probably find a lot of books that suit your reading needs.

Keep looking. If you like a certain topic, do a search for it: Books with ...

Fill in the ...

But also look up lists that say: Best 50 YA Books. Or Best 50 Fantasy Books. Or best 50 SF Books. Best 50 Graphic Novels. Best 50 Manga-style Books. Etc. Then at least try a few - library? - and commit to reading a few chapters before giving up.

I truly think there's a book or books out there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.