Outlet retail industry slam

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The imply it the same way Axe implies their body spray will make you more attractive to the opposite sex and Harley implies their bike will make you a bad ass. How is that different? In fact outlets are more honest because quite a lot of their stock is in fact remaindered designer goods. All I can say is that it seemed obvious enough to me. The clothes that don't show thew 90% markdown on the ticket are new self-knockoffs.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I think people are less gullible when a product advertises intangible things like sexiness/coolness. I think it's different with clothing companies because it's not well known that they're selling too different qualities of the same thing.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The imply it the same way Axe implies their body spray will make you more attractive to the opposite sex and Harley implies their bike will make you a bad ass. How is that different? In fact outlets are more honest because quite a lot of their stock is in fact remaindered designer goods. All I can say is that it seemed obvious enough to me. The clothes that don't show thew 90% markdown on the ticket are new self-knockoffs.

According to the articles I read, the amount of real remaindered goods in outlet stores ranges from 0% to occasionally as high as 20%.

It's not much of their stock at all, really.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Outlet stores are 'entertainment' for me, as I only go to them when I'm on vacation in a certain area. Even then, it's fairly easy to tell which ones are carrying crap, and which have decent value.

When you need to get the best value for your dollar, the clearance rack in your favorite retailer is probably the best bet. (When you get lucky and find something that you've been eying all season, that is.)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's new shopping center off I-575 north of Atlanta right at the exit (which was conveniently built only about a year earlier), very visible from the highway called "Outlet Shoppes." To me it looks like they don't sell merchandise (I only see it from the highway), they only sell "brand names," especially the higher-end fashion stuff such as Coach and Guess. Not surprisingly, it's highly promoted, such as here:
http://www.atlanta.net/partner/the-outlet-shoppes-at-atlanta/00120711/
I was wondering why, if I bought, say, Hanes undershirts at a factory outlet store, why it would be worth it to make something of lower quality than what I would buy at a Target.
Those of us who shop Target are not quite the "target" consumer for these "outlet" stores. I have the distinct impression that even the "outlet" prices are substantially more upscale (as in higher cost) than similar things at Target.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
And there's the thing. I haven't shopped at outlet stores for close to 20 years because there aren't any even vaguely close by. When I last shopped at them, the merchandise was all remainders and seconds. Seconds I understand because it's quite easy in factories to get an entire bad batch of shirts because a machine was running wrong and skips every third stitch, or the serger got knotted up. I don't mind wearing a piece that's of otherwise good quality if the only problem is one bad seam where people can't even see it. I have several shirts like this that yes, I've happily worn for 20+ years, and get compliments every time I wear them. I also used to haunt the Cannon outlet store because I love their Royal Velvet towel line. When a single bath sheet runs $120, I'll happily dig through piles of mismatched towels to find just the right color and pattern that matches what I have at home, costing $25.

So this story really was a surprise to me. I didn't realize the concept of outlets had changed. It makes me sad to think that brands I respected are basically participating in creating knock-offs of their own stuff. :(

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Some people are being deprived of their illusion that they are wearing the exact same thing as a rich person. And that is worth suing over?

You know, some people don't want those clothes just because rich people wear them. They want them because they're made in the USA, and not from sweat shop labor.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You know, some people don't want those clothes just because rich people wear them. They want them because they're made in the USA, and not from sweat shop labor.

You've also got people who want to be able to give their kid one "name brand" thing on special occasions so they aren't always seen as the kids with the hand-me-downs.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

In the articles I read, a lot of the outlet store clothing was made in China.

The good stuff is made in Italy or the US by, presumably, better-treated garment workers.

But a lot of the outlet stuff is made in cheap, ill-regulated third-world factories.

You've also got people who want to be able to give their kid one "name brand" thing on special occasions so they aren't always seen as the kids with the hand-me-downs.

That sort of makes sense to me.

But in those circumstances it makes me even angrier that big name manufacturers are palming off shoddy merchandise in their outlet stores.

A kid's special garment should be something special, not a shabby and cynical imitation of something special.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It's been a long time since I shopped at an outlet store. Used to go to the Nordstrom Rack now and again, and I stopped, because it was pretty clear these were not the same clothes they were selling at Nordstrom. They definitely were made of cheaper fabrics and from cheaper materials, and even when I found something I thought looked good, they rarely held up for long. I didn't realize they were under any legal obligation to actually sell just remnants or seconds from their actual department stores, however.

For the record, I rarely shop at department stores either. I do most of my clothes buying from certain catalogs I've come to know and trust over the years. As a rule, I will have something I buy there for a long time as long as I'm careful with it.

I'd like to see more transparency with regards not only to where clothes are made, but with the actual working conditions in the factories. I suppose most people won't care or don't have the luxury of doing anything but shopping for price, but it would be nice to be able to make informed decisions if one is lucky enough to be in that position.

Last edited: