rejection letters - honesty?

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got a rejection letter :( sounding that way:

Thank you so much for sending me your query. I've read your submission and carefully considered it for my list, but in the end it just wasn't the right fit for me.

I am going to pass, but I am so grateful for the opportunity to review your work. I appreciate how difficult this process can be and I wish you all the best and much success in your search for the right agent.

I assume that's a formula - I don't know. My question is, if you get positive or let's say non-negative rejection letters, do you trust them? I mean, I don't write in my native language, and even though I have my scripts proofread and edited before I send them out, a rest of doubt remains. Do you think, if there were any language/style problems, the agent would've said so? Have you ever got a rejection basically saying something like "you still need to work on your writing skills"?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds very much like a form letter.

If you get personalised comments then that is a step forward - it shows that someone in the agency took a little extra time when they are very busy to make that comment.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
The only thing to trust is when there is a specific comment about your work. Otherwise, chuck it in a pile with all the rest. The letter you've got is the same one you'd receive whether your MS was written in green crayon or whether it just wasn't right for the agent.

If you want to know if there are problems with your MS, get your 50 posts and try getting feedback in SYW.

Also: Obligatory link to Slushkiller for examples of people reading far too much into form rejections.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's a form letter.

It's rare you'll get a personal response to a query letter. Keep sending them out. If you're not getting responses, it's time to revise the query.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... querytracker.com is a good place to check to see if a query is a form rejection. People often post the queries they get for individual agents in the "comments" section. G'luck.

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
Well, seems that some I counted as "positive" were just form letters. Brrrb :(

Just sent another bunch of queries out, using query-tracker.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's a form letter.

It's rare you'll get a personal response to a query letter. Keep sending them out. If you're not getting responses, it's time to revise the query.

This is exactly what I was going to say. :)

Good luck!

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I write:

I've recently completed a romance novel about an US-American film team in South Africa, being confronted with a demanding work, romantic and professional ambitions - and finally a group of rebels kidnapping them. It is titled "Heart's Desires", and I'm searching for an agent who might be interested to take this project to the market. I'm a German historian and author (www.anke-napp.de)

Thank you very much for your attention, with kind regards,

Follows the synopsis, and if they want, sample chapters, full CV, previous publications.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
A Napp: what you've posted isn't the kind of query that will work with American agents right now. When you're at 50 posts, you can post your query in SYW, but until then, I suggest you read as many threads there as you can, thoughtfully critique as many other queries as possible, the stickies, and work on a better query. Unfortunately, the one you're sending (particularly if you're querying agents in the US) is very unlikely to get any requests for your manuscript.

Good luck.

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Okay - I just thought I keep it short as I put the synopsis and CV below. :/
Will check out if there are any "how to format a successful query" - sites on the net.
(sorry, what is "SYW"??? I'm a newbie)

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
SYW = Share Your Work

Definitely agreeing with everyone - might be a good idea to head over the Query Letter Hell and take a gander at some of the queries posted there and the comments they get.

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
okay guys... I'll rework the query ;)
But now, that I've queried almost all of the respective agents... well... I'm SO going to self-publish.... It seems.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Have a look at Queryshark too: queryshark.blogspot.com
Janet Reid - highly successful US agent crits selected queries that people have sent in and advies on how to make them more effective.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others abut the query. Such a query works well if you already have an agent and a publisher, but not when you're searching.

When searching for an agent and/or a publisher, your query needs to show them how well you can write, not just tell them what you've written.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You may want to self-pub, and I'm not going to talk you out of it, but are you sure you've exhausted the incredibly long list of agents who rep romance?

I mean, maybe you have 200+ rejections, but with a little research and a lot of refining, you may still have a shot.

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
@Honey Badger (love that nickname): so many? I used "Agent-Query" and "Query-Tracker" and had approximately 120. (Ok, not exhausted that number yet). As I'm not in the US, I'd prefer email queries.

12 rejections so far, but I'm quite exhausted because of ongoing campaigns with screenplays as well.

But now that I have 3 months waiting time, while one publisher assesses the ms, I can polish the query and try a little longer.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Honestly, I'd say with that particular query -- or nonquery -- you haven't burned through the agents. I'd recommend that you do as the people above recommend, and once you've written and HONED a query letter via Query Letter Hell, then resend to all of the agents you targeted. You didn't give them enough the first time to make a decision with.

Pieohazard

Pirate Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toxicwaste186.blogspot.com
To be absolutely honest with you, if you approach self-publishing without doing any research or setting goals or parameters for yourself -- just as you seemed to have approached querying -- you're not going to get the results you want. I'd advise working on that query in QLH, drawing up a list of agents to query, checking the agents' websites to make sure you're following their submission guidelines and keep moving forward.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Several people have mentioned SYW (Share Your Work) and especially QLH (Query Letter Hell). The password to get into SYW is vista. You need 50 posts elsewhere on the site to post your query in QLH or to post your first chapter in Romance. But go into QLH now and read the successful queries thread. Read some of the other threads to see how people critique queries. That will help you create a better one.

Who have you had help edit your work? Since you're a German writing in English, the probability is good that you need the help of a native English speaker, not a German who's literate in English.

Good luck as you continue!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A Napp, you might also want to look at the Evil Editor blog at http://evileditor.blogspot.com/

And please take some further tiresome advice. When you visit the Query Shark and the Evil Editor, read LOTS of posts. Spend hours -- days, even. It's evident from your query and your abrupt decision to self-publish that you haven't done nearly enough research on the business end of writing.

You can write a completely new query, polish it to a shine, and send it to agents who have already rejected your old query. They're not going to remember someone who flashed through their Inbox for a nanosecond before deletion -- assuming the same person will even be reading it.
http://evileditor.blogspot.com/

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score

Who have you had help edit your work? Since you're a German writing in English, the probability is good that you need the help of a native English speaker, not a German who's literate in English.

thanks for the input and the blessings! - to answer that question: 1 native English proofreader, 1 proofreader/editor being fluent in both languages because living in the US for many years.

---

yeah, learning how to write the query... and that stuff.... you're right. I just LOVE to write all sorts of fiction. I have so many ideas. But I'm absolutely no salesman. I couldn't sell a bread to a starving person. :( The much patience I have with my artwork - I admit having zero patience in learning how to sell that stuff. :( Well I try to pull myself together and invest some time in it and check those sites out.

Good luck to you all in your projects!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If you hate selling, you will be miserable self-publishing. You have to do ALL the sales yourself.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know ;) but I thought, I had some hundred readers in the boards and elsewhere, where I posted my stories, and a little fan base, so they will probably buy a real book from me.
All I have to say is that the thing is out now... (I thought that LOL)

Deep inside me, I don't think that a perfect polished query letter will get me anything. I really really don't know if it's worth the effort. I'm afraid another year will pass fruitlessly. :(((

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Deep inside me, I don't think that a perfect polished query letter will get me anything. I really really don't know if it's worth the effort. I'm afraid another year will pass fruitlessly. :(((

I understand this probably comes from a place of fatigue and frustration, but you wrote a whole novel. Presumably you poured hours and hours and tons of emotional and mental head-slamming into writing and polishing it. What's a query letter more? Isn't your novel worth it? It *might* not get you anything, but if you don't believe in your novel enough to give it the absolute best shot you can, how can you expect someone else to?

Writing a query is horrible while you're in the thick of it, but it's an immensely shorter-lived pain than writing a book.

Take a quick break if you need to. Then tear into it again. :D