Why Your Screenplay Won't Sell

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to the accuracy of the original post -- though the rest of this thread has made me skeptical, to say the least -- but I think I can understand the underlying fear:
  • If I write a horrible screenplay, that is my fault.
  • If I write a brilliant screenplay, but it languishes unread on my hard drive, that too is my fault.
  • If I write a brilliant screenplay and it languishes unread on some industry professional's hard drive because I don't know the secret knock, that's not my fault, but I can't even begin to know how to address it.

But for some people it's not comforting to be told there is no secret knock, or at least the secret knock isn't as important as they think it is.
I'm just aware that there all these people who believe there is a secret knock to get their novel accepted, because they've been rejected a dozen times- when we know there isn't. Their novel just wasn't marketable enough, well written enough, or just never crossed the desk of an editor who liked it enough.

And all the vanity publishers are selling the idea (spreading lies) that you can't get in without the secret knock, when we know that's not true.

But I have no idea about screenplays and how they are sold. I see most agents websites say "no screen plays."

Not that I personally have a screenplay it's just interesting.

Last edited: