The Flash Fictioners' Corner Booth

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
High-backed seats, neon lights, food and drinks on tap, conversation all around and music at just the right volume. :) Walk past the tables and find the perfect booth in the corner, where the Flash Fictioners hang out. :hi: Welcome!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, Sophia; I'll take a drink -- better make it a short, though. :)

I'd be interested to know whether the flash fic crowd write the form exclusively or whether they they branch out into longer stuff, too. I'd also like to hear whether the level of depth (in relation to length) that the FF format provokes is something that people are able to take through to longer works.

Finally, I'd like to know what the next poster in this thread would like to drink -- I can thoroughly recommend the no frills whisky. :)

Christopher Marcus

Writer of short stories 'n' stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadeofthemorningsun.com
... I'd be interested to know whether the flash fic crowd write the form exclusively or whether they they branch out into longer stuff, too. I'd also like to hear whether the level of depth (in relation to length) that the FF format provokes is something that people are able to take through to longer works.

Finally, I'd like to know what the next poster in this thread would like to drink -- I can thoroughly recommend the no frills whisky. :)

I write both flash and longer stuff - mostly novellas 'tween 3K-10K words. Or thereabouts. Flash Fiction is useful to me whenever I need to get started again after a longer writing hiatus. I really like the challenge of having to put together a story in a 1000 words or less ... well, I love it when it's the right time for me. This February challenge seems to have caught me on the wrong leg a bit ...

Anyway, as regards depth I sometimes find that an FF 'wants' to be bigger, so to speak. And in that case I let the story lead me and just see where it ends up. Maybe it'll be a lot more than a 1000 maybe only a little. As long as I'm not in a formal competition it doesn't matter. To me FF is a tool to get writing done and to have fun and to develop ideas. It's not a form I want to be my primary way of writing.

And now I'm drinking coffee and lots of it, since I'm on the nightshift (my 'dayjob') ...

So, interesting questions. Thanks for throwing them out!

Do you prefer FF yourself or is it 'just another way of writing' for you, Harry?

Best,

Chris

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you prefer FF yourself or is it 'just another way of writing' for you, Harry?

I used to just sit down and write and see what happened. Occasionally the piece was short -- other times not. I then came across Maryn. :)

She ran a 200 word prompt over in Erotica. Whilst I always tried to write things that had a life off the page due to the way they were written, it was the erotic FF prompt that hammered home the lesson (often forgotten by me) about condensing writing so the short amount on the page is only the tip of the iceberg. Of course, writing this way is tough, but an excellent exercise and a great form in its own right.

So now I write FF for the beauty of the form, the challenge of the form and the word count boundary that makes one search for more interesting, concise and different ways of writing. I also use it as a starting off point -- sometimes the piece needs more room.

Any other FF practitioners want to share why they are drawn to the form, or what they get out of it that other structured writing doesn't give them? Or, of course, just come say hello and order up a drink. :)

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I love it for a number of reasons. It's a wonderful way to tighten my language skills. Also, I've been working on a novel for years and needed a break. This forum allows me to express myself without a long haul commitment to one particular idea. Last, but not least, it's super fun!

Umbrageofsnow

Registered
Reaction score
Longer flash, near the 1000 word mark, is indistinguishable in my mind from shorter non-flash short stories. The idea seems fit for short-story length, and if it doesn't take much to get there, well it ends up being flash, I don't actually set out to write that kind of flash. But maybe I should?

What I've found really enjoyable lately are Drabbles. Stories exactly 100 words long. They make a nice break, and are quick to revise. I find writing a drabble can lift my spirits when I'm feeling down about not completing things I start. And they are so restricted, I think they really push my way of writing something in interesting directions.

That said, I enjoy reading flash quite a bit. And I think maybe I should make more effort to write things deliberately as flash from the beginning.

My drink is single-malt scotch (preferably an Islay), or Pu-erh tea. Alternative options include Bourbon, Irish Breakfast Tea, and Chai (no artificial crap though, I like the kind you boil in a big pot with milk.)

Vikingessa

Tangled...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vikingessa.com
*tiny wave*

I have a monstrously several pages long table of prompts for flash/drabble fiction. CampNaNoWriMo has been interesting since I am not writing any of this story in order. My flash pieces range from 70-1,500 words. Quite shocked that it's turning out to work in my favor and I am able to jump all over. I have my outline, know everything that I need to hit on topics and events. Due to some life related hurdles I'm behind at 14K, but I think that I can catch up again. All of it simply flash fiction in chunks :)

I believe I started writing flash fiction about a year ago and kind of kept up on it simply for exercises or ways to get my brain started.

A chilled chai latte would be divine.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump. What have you all been doing over the last few months? Plenty of writering I hope? It's a new year and new years resolutions are a must. So, have any of you guys made any resolutions to write more and submit more? Any new members thinking about getting into Flash Fiction?

Wow, lots of questions. Keep your answers below 10,000 words. :D

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump. What have you all been doing over the last few months? Plenty of writering I hope? It's a new year and new years resolutions are a must. So, have any of you guys made any resolutions to write more and submit more? Any new members thinking about getting into Flash Fiction?

Wow, lots of questions. Keep your answers below 10,000 words. :D

Hi!

One of my new years resolutions is to lay out my goals, and don't stop until I achieve them... yeah, I just planned on achieving my plan there :Shrug:

I think the weekly challenge of write, polish and submit flash fiction will help shape me up :)

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
It's peaceful walking into the bar for a pint. But it sure is quiet around here...:hi:

LonnieG

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not going to make this weeks challenge. I have a couple of good stories floating around in my head for 'last orders', but don't have the time to pen anything. Maybe next week I will get to it. I haven't even finished The Tea Set, to my satisfaction. Maybe next week.

Finding time to write is the biggest problem. Maybe next week.

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
LonnieG
I think you shouldn't worry about finishing or not finishing every week. It's a very tall order to come up with the idea, write it, revise it, post it etc It does take a lot of time. I've managed 3 weeks in a row but other things have suffered so I won't attempt to do it every week. However it is great practice.

Hope you get some time next week

LonnieG

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Pernickety,

Thanks for the encouraging. Usually I am not driven to write every day, which is a good thing because I don't have the time. For me something will come into my mind and start to ferment. Eventually resulting in something worth writing about.

The weekly prompts are good for me in the way that it requires me to look at writing in an entirely different way. I think I have a good knowledge base about writing, but little practical experience. Writing to the prompts is what it is meant to be - an exercise in focusing and working. This is pretty much how I approach my day job. It is not possible for me to put my mind around the whole of it, but it is possible to do it small bites at a time. In the end it is a completed project.

I hope to get to the point of being able to map the complete writing project and with many small bites complete the whole of it.

As for finishing current project. I am the king of unfinished projects. I have unfinished projects around the house and a computer full of unfinished stories. So I am trying to be more focused on finishing writing projects.

LeadHead

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Got my first reply from one of my submissions yesterday. Unfortunately, it was a rejection. It was a personal one though so I got some feedback which is always good. They felt there was too much ambiguity in the story which I fully understand but I'm not sure if I should change it or stick with it and submit elsewhere to see if I keep getting the same response.

How's everyone else's submissions going?

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Got my first reply from one of my submissions yesterday. Unfortunately, it was a rejection. It was a personal one though so I got some feedback which is always good. They felt there was too much ambiguity in the story which I fully understand but I'm not sure if I should change it or stick with it and submit elsewhere to see if I keep getting the same response.

How's everyone else's submissions going?

Hi Leadhead!

I've got replies from 7/10 so far, all rejections :( No personal ones either! Think I'm gonna re-submit the ten to other flash fiction sites - I've stuck with Flash fiction online so far.

Great news by you, well done.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia - Just trying out my new badge :D .....it fits!!!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd been keeping a look out to see if you'd get it -- fantastic going! :partyguy:

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few hours late for this weeks submission - got called into work earlier than I expected yesterday evening, so I sent it now.

Thanks to Sophia for the prompts, my flash fiction folder is getting bigger.

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
hi all,
I've missed a couple of weeks now, but am busy doing other writerly things (incl query letter, agent research and biting my nails as betas read my ms) . Hope to get back to it this week. Will take a look in later to read your newer stories

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just got my first personalised rejection letter! Wahoo!

"Dear Eamonn:
Thank you for submitting "Larka." Unfortunately we've decided to pass. While we enjoyed the premise, parts of the piece felt rushed, particularly the ending, which is a pity because we enjoyed the character of Larka and his ruthless devotion to art.

Best of luck with your writing[...]"

Just had to share that one!

LeadHead

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!
Better luck next time :)