Welcome, Lurkers!

Siren of Triton

Registered
Reaction score
Who is the board moderator we send for the password to the 21-and-up-only board if we are over 21? (I am 21 yet when I started posting here but now I'm 22.)

Personally I think it should be over 18 if this is a US-based board and 18 is the age of majority here, and it seems unfair to restrict legal adults from viewing that stuff just because of some people's personal discomfort with young adults reading it. But I don't get to decide the rules, I guess, so I waited and I think I'm ready to read it. I really would like more guidance in writing in this genre.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Siren, there are three who moderate this board: me, veinglory, and ELMontague (who's not around often, alas). I'm around daily and I believe the same is true of veinglory.

The age of 21 was chosen by the owner for legal reasons. While the age of majority in the US is 18 for most things, that's not true of the rest of the world. Since AbsoluteWrite has members around the globe, it needs the legal protection of making sure all exposed to adult materials are legal adults in the places they live.

It's got nothing to do with personal comfort.

Maryn

afrisch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrisch.wordpress.com
Greetings! I am a new lurker and was wondering how I can post on the Erotica thread for (example) the June assignment? Everything is password protected. Please advise. Thank you.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, afrisch. I just saw your post in the Newbies thread, mentioning erotica, and figured I'd find you here soon enough. Welcome!

To get the password for the grown-up stuff, you send a private message to either me or veinglory. (Moderator ELMontague is not around much these days.) In it you ask for the password and say you're 21 or older. That's for legal purposes, protecting the site owner.

Veinglory and I both check in nearly every day, so you usually get a response within 12 hours or so, often sooner.

Maryn, who's been to Surprise--surprise!

Tincar

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I've lurked for a while but... I've been writing so you can hold that against me too much. :)

I write my naughty stuff under T.C. Lee. It's a pleasure to meet everyone and hope to chat with you on the threads.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you join us!

Maryn, firm handshake

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I've lurked for a while but... I've been writing so you can hold that against me too much. :)

I write my naughty stuff under T.C. Lee. It's a pleasure to meet everyone and hope to chat with you on the threads.

Welcome! Hope you stick around and enjoy your stay. We're mostly the friendly sort around here.

dennis7490

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new. I'd like some advice and guidance, and didn't know where else to post it, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread.
First, I am a middle aged man. I have read a few erotic romances, but not many. I have written several novels, all on Kindle. There is always a lot of sex in my novels, never gratuitous.
I wrote what I can only define as an erotic drama, erotic the way TROPIC OF CANCER is erotic, which as far as I can tell is not romance novel erotica. So, as I said I might not be in the right thread.
I would like a few reading suggestions, but not in the vein of 50 SHADES OF GRAY. More along the lines of TROPIC OF CANCER, if that exists today.
Also, I would love some comments on my own novel, THE KNOWING (by Anonymous) or suggestions as to reviewers for this type of book.
Thank you all.
Dennis
I have an erotic novle on Kindle, THE KNOWING (by anonymous)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you, Dennis. While erotic romance, and romantic erotica is there is indeed a difference, is what a lot here read and write, there's more to erotica than that.

I write non-romantic erotica, for instance.

I'm not nearly as well-read as I ought to be, so I'll let others recommend titles. But it's always nice to see new faces here.

Maryn, shaking your hand

dennis7490

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to the education I'm sure I'll receive! it reminds me of the time I was at a WGA meeting when I first started writing for TV 26 years ago, (short lived experience) and I was discussing mystery writers with another writer, and he said have you read, "So & so? or so & so, etc." the list was long. I said, "No." he said, "I envy you. You have so much to look forward to." And he was right. I enjoyed every minute of it.

KittyKat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Dennis, I emailed the editor I want to use, and it's calculated as 0.004cents per word, which is awesome and fits in with my editing budget.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Kitty. Nice to see you out in the open. (Of course we saw you lurking, but it seemed rude to call you on it.)

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Allana

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I've only just started to read this part of the board, but I've now posted here already in another thread.

I guess that the reason I avoided the erotica section at first is because it has elements of my day job (adult website writer) and I'm trying to write a thriller!

But of course there are going to be sex scenes in my book, and my day job has left me a bit desensitized to writing a sex scene which doesn't detract from the main plot. Then there is the fact that I have written erotica in the past, but am no doubt quite rusty at the finer points. So here I am, ready to learn and compare notes. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write in the same two genres, Allana.

Do be sure you review just how graphic the sex scenes in current suspense and thrillers are. So long as your sex scenes are both no 'worse' and advance the plot, you should be good to go.

Maryn, who hasn't sold a suspense short in a long time

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
(Of course we saw you lurking, but it seemed rude to call you on it.)
Wait, you guys can see those of us lurking in the shadows, reading your smutty talk and never posting??? :eek: :eek:
:gone:

(I've actually just revived my top secret erotica novel as a side-project, so I may actually have to step into the light at some point anyway.)

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Hello! I'm just outing myself as a lurker.

I read a lot of erotica (well, less lately as I've been trying to read in my own genre), but don't write it. My ability to write romantic relationships, sexual or otherwise, is right up there with my ability to kiss my elbow. But I enjoy reading what others have to say, and sometimes I chime in. Even though I pop up only on occasion, I don't tend to post unless I've been following the conversation for a while.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Delighted to see both of you.

As you know, it's okay to talk when so moved even if you're not writing in the genre. We don't bite--except those little love-nips that hurt good. ;)

Maryn, glad you're here

mmilou

Registered
Reaction score
*sneaks in*

So. Here I am.

I've been a RPS (and some genfic too) reader, writer and co-writer for two years now and now I'm giving a go at writing something not-fanfic-related romance/erotica. Just few years back I wouldn't have believed that I would have a little hobby like this - but hey - life is full of surprises. Read some stunning slash fics that have left me in awe - C/C/C will always remain my absolute favourite that I keep returning to. (I wonder if anyone knows which piece I'm refering to...)

I'm really shy about publishing anything online outside a very close knit circle of friends, so we'll see if my new story will ever leave my laptop. Also my husband has no idea about my writing hobby - since I don't think he'd appreciate the idea of RPS. But I'm very happy to have found this forum, since you all seem to be such a great bunch of people!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not ordinarily quite this dim, I hope, but can you elaborate on what RPS and C/C/C mean in this usage?

That said, it's our pleasure to meet you. Welcome!

Maryn, showing you to the comfy chair

mmilou

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not ordinarily quite this dim, I hope, but can you elaborate on what RPS and C/C/C mean in this usage?

That said, it's our pleasure to meet you. Welcome!

Maryn, showing you to the comfy chair

Mmmm. Nice comfy chairs you've got here!

RPS = Real Person Slash.

C/C/C= the most amazing (and most complicated also) piece of slash I've ever read. Not sure if I'm ready to reveal my fandom yet - maybe later. I should stay away from C/C/C when I'm trying to write something myself, since it's awesomeness tends to depress me.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'd hazard a guess that RPS might mean Real Person Slash? Not my cuppa, but fanfic is a wide universe. I'm not sure what menage or fandom C/C/C is.

Welcome aboard, Mmilou. This is a great place to expand out of fanfic. Take your time and follow your comfort level.

I played in some then-obscure fanfics a decade or so ago, mostly as writing exercises. While some of my efforts make me cringe now, others were good enough that I'm still getting gushy feedback on them. It took a couple of staggeringly great fanfic writers to urge me back into original fiction after I'd all but given up. I wrote an original smutty mms just as a challenge last year. Imagine my amazement when 1) I really enjoyed it, and 2) some other people liked it enough to publish it.

I certainly wouldn't have started it or bothered to query it without the support of this group and AW as a whole.